Author Topic: Where have all the old boys gone  (Read 36484 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Where have all the old boys gone
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 04:45:07 pm »
Have you always had this many events happening through out the year.
What/how many events ran back in the 60's& 70's???
May be it is too much complacency or too much choice.
I feel burnt out and I'm just reading about the amount of events you people have. :D
Come and try days are a great relaxed affair.. :D
Best is in the West !!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »
The 'hype' comes from the VMX wrecking/organising crew and for the full six months of forum chat about who was bringing what to ride and drink.The event was very well promoted, had some legends in attendance and everyone went there all 'geed' up for a good time, ingredients that just don't happen at a club round.I can assure I can easily grasp the concept of CD type event.However I reckon organising a CD type event would be a full time job and a demanding one at that.

Did someone ghost write that for you Freaky?To sensible,not enough spelling and grammatical errors but none the less a sound concept ;D ;D ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

YSS

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 08:19:06 pm »
It takes a brave man like firko to open a can of worms and call a spade a spade. Good on you.Sorry you could not make it to eastern creek on the weekend , was looking forward to see you there. Your bike was .
A few people from the forum droped in and said hello . It was a good weekend for classic racing . Hope you get better soon .cheers Walter

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 08:51:24 pm »
I`am with you Lozza, Freaky`s onto something there.
Couple of CR`s

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 10:08:58 pm »
What would be nice is two full CD style events a year for the non competitive VMX participant...<snip>
These events are the best asset out sport has for creating the cameraderie we all love.

The Vinduro was similar. I spoke to several blokes who simply weren't interested in racing VMX themselves, but were really enjoying the chance to enjoy their bike(s) and the company of like-minded people.
They're out there, for sure.

HEAVEN offers free riding on most Saturdays before their race meets. The on-track sessions are far less 'intense' than what was happening at Broadford, so there's less risk to rare bikes and relatively fragile bodies.
Maybe too few people know about this?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 10:52:40 pm »
Did someone ghost write that for you Freaky?To sensible,not enough spelling and grammatical errors but none the less a sound concept ;D ;D ;D

Nope was still pumped from the weekend ( took out 2nd place in the series for the year in DT ) yeee har and while i was in a good glow at work today started typing and your right checked it twice that i made sense and even pulled my finger out and checked the spelling not once but more than twice  ;D

and dont thank me lozza not my idea - thank the club secretary and whoever was on the commitee that came up with it, our club is doing a bit of a phoenix ATM, went quiet for a few years after the big MXB punch up split the club and now the dust has settled years later, they are now building a real junior base ( we had over 20 under 9's participate in the junior 50's Demos - 4 races) infact we had to have 2 grids, every kid got a trophy for participating and at every round our club held ( 3) in the series (5) we had more kids each time.   

Once parents found it wasnt a race and they didnt need a log book etc, it was easy for them to turn up and say yes.   I bought my 9yr old girl a MA licence and all the gear in feb, this weekend was the first time ALL year we convinced her to ride ( and a free weekend 4 her-i wish i knew about the demo class back in feb)  i know understand why many parents are worried if they spend all that coin wether they will get any value. or will it really cost them.   I learnt that lesson myself the hard way in road racing, one day i just stupid on a per lap basis.  Dirt track/ MX is a great value for money sport if you can get onto ride days, open fun days etc in on your licence, i rode just as much  on my senior licence on ride days this year than at the race meets, so i understand why guys that just want to ride a few times a year really would like the option to just turn up and ride these more organised meets, the demo class concept opens up all those options.... there is no commitment, just participation.

The senior Demonstration class seemed to be an extention of that junior success story and it was a great success.   As i said i think many old members if nothing else will come out now and help in the junior coaching and track maintenance days etc once they feel they can have fun and enjoy without the pressure im sure riding will be back on the horizon.  ;)

This success can also be measured in the fact our club put on 3 full rounds of Dirt track yet only 1 of Vmx, same bikes same people yet only 50% did the full MX,  they seem to run better on our more interesting flat track/scramble lay out - read both Bikes and body bodies.   Our track is a camber mix kidney shaped flatter track , we grade it and roll it in the lunch brake, the only complaint i have today is tight leg muscles and dusty bike, at the MX round i was sore all over for 3 days, destroyed my new tank decals and lost half the bolts on the bike and blew a shocker.  I think track design can therefore also be a big factor in who feels like coming out, next year im not taking any good bikes to the Mx round, and will be taking only my good stuff to the Ftrack as i know it survives and its pre 75 freindly.   thats the feeling i hear echo'd from many of the guys that discoved the flat /scamble tracks still offer a great ride and can still fuel the passion with out the cost on you or the good kit.  im not sure what tracks your trying to get them back out to but if its a modern MX track with triples, doubles, sky jumps and all that hype you'd be lucky to get a starter, more sensible period style with a berm or 2 and a drop off and your in with a real chance  :-\
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 11:48:21 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 11:20:07 pm »
Intersting read. Being a North Queenslander' we don't get a myriad of events to ride without super travel. Have been around since the Nats were first at Ravenswood. Now tend to watch rather than ride, probably due to the same reason I gave up and went to speedway in the 90s. Tracks up here are too rough for the body (read having trouble going to work on Mondays) and bike (read dollars in repairs)because we have to cater for the ever cycling age of the newer age "Vintage MX", At 50 with pins and bolts try punting a metisse around the same track as an 85, 95 or 2005 Yamaha. To a certain degree I believe this is probably also occuring down south? and perhaps it is intersting to note the increased interest in DT. I see a real problem here unless some creative heads get to work soon,

firko

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 11:31:19 pm »
Thanks Walter but it was Magoo that started this little discussion. I just put in my 2c worth. Thanks to you and Les for looking after my Maico at Eastern Creek. I intended being there but I was too crook. It's the first time I've missed that meeting in years. Thanks for the support.

I think this has been a fruitful discussion. It's generally agreed that while theree's a need to keep supporting the race meetings, it may be time for clubs to lighten up a little and introduce more non competitive involvement at some (not all) meetings. There are more old farts like me who are deeply interested in building bikes than you'd believe. There are some unbelievably trick bikes being built by blokes who don't wish to race any more. They deserve a chance to ride/display/talk about their bikes as much as the true blue "sheep station" racers.

Another positive is to turn certain meetings into "must go" cult status events. The Crawford River Classic was heading in that direction in its original format but in recent times while still being a good meeting, it's become a little to serious.
I like the vibe that's emerging about the Fred Hogg meeting in Moruya. Everybody Ive spoken to recently seems to be gee'd up for it next February. I know I harp on about this a lot but we really need to find another Condo. That one meeting was the major bond that kept the sport alive on the East Coast. Look at the fun at recent meetings like Wagga, the Evo Challenge and the Coffs Nats and you'll understand what we need. Less grumpy 'closed pits' anal stuff and more of the Dick Mann "if you've got a bike in the truck and $20 in your pocket you race, We sort the other stuff out later" attitude.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 12:35:30 am »
Dick Mann's got it in one.

Best words I've read from you Firko ;D.
Over here we have a recreation class and it isnt lap/point scored and no racers are allowed to go in it. It's great for people who just want to ride around. I dont know how you guys ride modern tracks on the old girls and even think about going to work the next day. But yeah as Freaky says "an easier track is alot easier on the body" and lets face it, its bloody hard to keep fit the older you get. But I think you guys are talking the right talk now about fun/friendly days. No matter if you think fun/friendly days are 'soft', we have them over here and the racing between friends is always just as hard and fast, but I'm sure its just to build up a thirst for the end of the day ;) ;D. And thats when all the real racing starts, or is that the bullshit ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 07:24:39 am »
Less grumpy 'closed pits' anal stuff and more of the Dick Mann "if you've got a bike in the truck and $20 in your pocket you race, We sort the other stuff out later" attitude.

can someone fill me in on what the "closed pits" thing was, was it closed to competitors only, not allowing spectators to view the bikes or what?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

husky61

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 08:14:54 am »
Hoony

The closed pit thing was a real winner but i still dont think it beats pre arranged photographers only on the the track at a club day (that was gold).

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 08:23:27 am »
Husky 61

so was it what i thought ? your kidding about the photographers right ??? on a club day.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

firko

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 09:45:25 am »
Sadly Hoony you got the closed pits scenario first go. You had to park your bike in the 'parc ferme' and all of your gear and suport systems outside in the general parking area. If you wanted to work on your bike you had to walk it out of the parc ferme to your car/trailer.
Even more ridiculous was the clubs atitude to only allowing pre arranged photographers on the track. If I hadn't been there I wouldn't have believed either situation. AJ from VMX was a very unhappy camper that day. Can you imagine any club preventing a photographer from VMX (or any magazine for that matter) from taking pictures at a bloody club day?
When people ask why there is so much agro towards the club, situations like these and many moore (pardon the pun) are used as examples.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 10:22:35 am »

This thread has to be one of the most constructive on the forum at the moment and so I want to add some more to it.

As I said earlier I went to Bulahdelah with my son weekend before last and as no bike was ready we ended up flagging on both days to get first hand views and as much dust as possible.

What we experienced provided most of what has been discussed here and I believe the committee must have the formula almost right. We arrived mid Saturday morning to watch the free riding and the riders all appeared to be having a ball which, given the voluminous dust being generated, shows how keen everyone was. Gotta point out too that the dust problem was completely beyond the organisers control due to the water truck breaking down - shit happens - and besides after the drought we've been going through we all have a good tolerance for it now. Just about every machine on the paddock must have had a run out there and while the more serious riders no doubt used the time to dial in on the track and set up their bikes others just said how much they had enjoyed themselves.

The racing started after lunch and all races went smoothly although the dust kept the lap times down a bit (well it sound's like a good excuse to me lol!). What we saw with the racing was the broadest range of machines and experience from an AJS Stormer to the Pre 85 'moderns' and riders who pretty well lit up with riding up on the pegs and hard up front on the corners to guys, girls and kids (yep, they catered for the riders kids as well) just puttering around enjoying themselves. There seemed to be a race for every class of bike there on the weekend although there was a distinct lack of the old stuff which was a shame but certainly nothing you could sheet back to the HEAVEN guys.

The pits were 'open' which is the layout we prefer having experienced both and I think, if the sport is to prosper, should be encouraged rather than the 'çlosed' type because you can move about the bikes freely and talk to the owners, take pictures and generally be inspired to get out there rather than feeling you are intruding by going through the gated area which is also generally much more crowded and not BBQ friendly for obvious reasons.

For those who stayed for the night you couldn't have asked for more and the catered roast was first class leading to a late night of making new friends and catching up with old ones. I have to say that there was some talk about numbers being down a bit and the ones who didn't make the trip were more the poorer for staying at home, although some did go to the Wagga Wagga Classic
Dirt Track Championships which was fair enough.

Sundays racing was ditto for Saturdays and from the flag-point we were on which gave a bids eye view we never saw anything that could be regarded as aggressive riding and slow riders seemed to be passed without scaring shit out of them. The great thing to come out the two days was zero serious injuries and a lot of tired, thoroughly dusted up and very happy competitors.

In summary that event provided just about the lot so to all of you old members who are hanging back get out there next year and show the new guy (me) just how good you are instead of reflecting on how great it could be if only they did this or that. One thing my twenty plus years as a fireman has taught me is that death can catch up with you much quicker than you think and if it does there is no point wondering what you missed out on - this ain't a rehearsal so drop your bullshit, prejudices, bias, wanker hating, whinging, politicking and bing miserable and get out there again. If you want to be negative stay away but if you think you can add something get involved. If all you want is a power base there is an election coming up - run for parliament and don't do your politicking through a bike club - more clubs have died because of that shit than anything !!!

What may work, reading between the lines of this forum thread is a NSW CD type event but that is easier said than done because some poor bunch of coots has to organise it. It appears there are a whole lot of guys out there who just want to bring out their pride and joy to show the world, perhaps ride it in a rec' race and stand around remembering their glory days or whatever - and what a good recruiting ground for further club participants but that is up for a committee to decide not me.

Kel Moore from HEAVEN assured me that the two day format we enjoyed was pretty much typical of HEAVEN events now and if that is indeed the case there is not one reason based on what has been posted on the forum why the gates should not be full of riders of ALL abilities on any type of bike in any (race worthy) condition. Leave your baggage at home, be positive and constructive and most importantly have fun............

See you at the back of the pack  ;)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

husky61

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 11:48:34 am »
maico 490T

They are fair observations , however most people are not staying away but exercising the options available by going to other meetings which we as group are very fortunate to have.

Certainly the atmosphere provided at meetings is tenable , however sadly that atmosphere and friendship provided by the comittee is selective . Most reasonable individuals will not tolerate dismissive beharvior and certainly will not tolerate bullshit and unreasonable correspondence associated with what would be seen to be reasonable requests or questions.

My opinion and my opinion only , is that the process is not fully transparent and certainly many issues are dismissed with out great thought.
  People that run clubs in general are voted in by members and are entitled to do as they see fit and what they think is the right thing during there tenures, after all thats what they are elected to do. To a certain degree you gotta admire people that stand for these positions as there is a reasonable amount of work involved but on the other hand you do not have to take any shit or unreasonable behaviour from them either.My experience is that most reasonable individuals like it straight up , not discussions on issues with totally different results . Now , good on you for doing your bit and for the people that run clubs in general. Should any Heaven committee members wish to discuss the above with me please call you have my numbers.

Now , having been part of the process i must say that its not to bad but could be much better , but you will find alot of people are directing their energy to other options and thats not a bad thing as it expands the opportunities for all involved. There are numerous individuals capable of providing substantial support , however they are electing to support different options at this stage for varying reasons and again thats not a bad thing.

Certainly the terms of reference , wanker , bias etc do not eneter the equation as most people are just persuing their hobby with the added bonus of a ride or a day of practice. (Bearing in mind this not alot of peoples main hobby either.)

There is certainly no science involved just old and not so old guys on old bikes.

let it settle , keep it simple and they will come .