Author Topic: Can Am at Nationals  (Read 4337 times)

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Can Am at Nationals
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:41:17 pm »
This topic has been quiet for a while so for all you Can Am fans I would like to inform you that I rode a TNT 250 to a win in the last moto to secure 2nd overall in both the pre 75 250 solo and pre 75 solo 40 to 49 years. Sorry I don't have any photo's.
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Can Am at Nationals
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »
Excellent! Great to see something different doing well - I'd have thought such a result would have been mentionable but I guess the prevailing sentiment may be to ignore such a splendid effort and hope it would disappear! Did it take only the one Canam to shame the field? - oh,yeah - it only needed to be one. ;) Such small and jealous minds :D  Post a pic of the winning combo and trophy please.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:38:50 am »
I'll second that!  Very well done. Hope it inspires a few more to dig out such treasures & go racing.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:51:48 pm »
Interesting bike that one FireKwaka....my summer job in 1975 was to put together CanAmbulances and I don't recall the TNT having the shock mounting up the swingarm like yours does....me thinks yours is a 1975 model...??

firko

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 06:30:09 pm »
Here we go again................... ::) Give the bloke a break. I've deliberately held back on outing the dodgiest bike I've ever seen at a Nats in years in the interest of bi-coastal brotherhood. Can we move on and consider the positives from the Nats rather than pick the shit out of everybodies f**king bikes please? I thought you'd be above that shit Brian.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:35:43 pm by firko »

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:23:40 pm »
I think I remember seeing the TnT 250 being listed by MA as an eligible pre-75 model. Makes it legal so no more blagging please.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:48:27 am »
As far as I know it is a 74 model. If you compared my back suspension to that of my competitors you would see there was definatly no advantage, it was the Can Am's good motor and my determined riding that made my weekend successful.
  I haven't bothered to read and the protest carry on because as far as I'm concerned the more bikes on he race track the better.
What other motor sport can you win races at a national level working for wages on a single parent budget? I love it!

83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 10:59:15 am »
As far as I know it is a 74 model. If you compared my back suspension to that of my competitors you would see there was definatly no advantage, it was the Can Am's good motor and my determined riding that made my weekend successful.
  I haven't bothered to read and the protest carry on because as far as I'm concerned the more bikes on he race track the better.
What other motor sport can you win races at a national level working for wages on a single parent budget? I love it!

Great post and sweet looking CANAM (wish it was in my stable), looks period correct too me .What would make it the dodgiest bike out there?

What ever. I agree mate.Lets encourage participation.

firko

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 11:47:05 am »
What would make it the dodgiest bike out there?
No, no, no...  :o You've misunderstood my quote. The Can Am is fine by my reckoning. What I was referring to was another bike that was way over the top. I was going to post a picture of it but with all of the crap that went on about the bloody RM125s I thought it'd be better to let sleeping dogs lie.
This has to be the best quote of the year. ;D Good one mate. Speaking as an old Can-Am racer I reckon you've done us proud and it didn't go unnoticed in the announcers tower during your last moto win  ;). Both Drakie and I rode similar bikes to yours a few years ago and we were stoked.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:51:14 am by firko »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 03:13:54 pm »
Thanks for the pic Firekwaka. Nice bike.

Love the pipe. Who made it?

Bike looks perfectly legal to me. Standard 74-75 TNT 250 had bottom shock mount 400mm (15.75") from pivot with swingarm about 520mm long (depending what position the axle adjusters were in). ie bot shock mt about 120mm in front of axle. 125 & 175 TNT bot shock mt was further back closer to axle but 250 was always well forward.

Boagy told me he moved his bot shock mt back (on his 250 MX1), even tho it was legit, just to save unnecessary grumbles.

There was a decent one at CD6 too, but I can't post the pic.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:06:25 pm by JC »

firko

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 02:51:11 pm »
Here's the photo JC is referring to, taken at CD6.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 09:35:13 pm »
i was going to ride my pre78 can am 250
at nats but decieded to ride my pre75 bikes
bad choice :'(
should have rode my canam :'(
follow me to first turn