Author Topic: are these forks pre-65 legal  (Read 4531 times)

mainline

are these forks pre-65 legal
« on: August 12, 2009, 11:51:58 am »
some help please for the learner :)

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: are these forks pre-65 legal
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:25:33 pm »
Mainline these look like Betor's likely to be off a Bultaco Astro and probably a M145 onwards which would put them between 1974-1979. I have assumed this on the basis that there is no backing plate lug i.e. those astro's ran spool hubs only, no front brake.

Cheers
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

mainline

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:09:11 pm »
apparently there is a tab for a brake stay on one of the legs, it seems a bit difficult to see in the photo.

Would that be it on the fork closest to old mate's foot?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:14:51 pm »
Bombadier  or similar betors, id say.
mAybe at a squeeze pre 70 as a repo follow on maybe, but pre 65 you would have to ask one of the old timers if its Kosha.........

does the guy want to lend me the tapers so i can test a set i have in a progect frame ?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:25:25 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 02:22:58 pm »
read gcrs from ma it tells you all you need to know.i am going to use either the same type of forks or cz forks
go to ma web page its easy to read and print out the classic moto x and dirttrack section.build to those rules and you will have on problems
cheers
jim

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 02:28:49 pm »
Is that based on brand name only Jim or on era ?

its all well and good to say betor or cerriani but what model and what length inners are allowed ?
or do you just say the bottom leg is that brand so ita ok regardless of the year of MAnufacture, the differant lugs and brake stops and internal tube length ?

id like to know in the light of the NAt thing whats the actual interpretaion there.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:35:30 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mainline

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 02:50:50 pm »
I've read the MA regs, and all I can find is that...

"front wheel travel shall be no more than 178mm (7")" and "late-type Ceriani and Betor with long sliders are not permitted"

so what constitutes a "long slider" or are we just referring back to the maximum allowable travel thing again.

Cheers

mx250

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 02:54:44 pm »
Is that based on brand name only Jim or on era ?

its all well and good to say betor or cerriani but what model and what length inners are allowed ?
or do you just say the bottom leg is that brand so ita ok regardless of the year of MAnufacture, the differant lugs and brake stops and internal tube length ?

id like to know in the light of the NAt thing whats the actual interpretaion there.
If it looks okay and you don't win you'll be fine ;) ;D.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:14:14 pm »
I've read the MA regs, and all I can find is that...

"front wheel travel shall be no more than 178mm (7")" and "late-type Ceriani and Betor with long sliders are not permitted"

so what constitutes a "long slider" or are we just referring back to the maximum allowable travel thing again.

Cheers

Well unless im retarded, which is possible what you have posted there says "later type betors not permitted, they are clealy later than 65 so id say No based on my interpretation of that rule you just post there where it says NO.

Back in the day they would mix and match up the road and trail legs to change the travel and rates so for example a flat track might have a MX bottom and a road race inner with less travel to flatten out the bike and reduce the bit sticking out the top into the bars..........  and vice versa

ID say you need to ask someone who does the eligibility thing, but i cant see how based on that later can am or bultaco type forks wouldnt get caught up as they are later styles
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:18:32 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 04:50:55 pm »
the sliders are the bottom alloy things you bolt your wheel to.there are long ones wich are later and short ones.the main reason people use cz forks and wheels is because all forks and wheels up to falta 1975 are leagl.check out ossa and bultacos and find out the cut off year as ot is like chalk and chees the slider lenghts.also hubs bully ones need to be full width.
cheers
jim

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 05:32:26 pm »
ive got some pre 65 cerianis on a BSA here and they are definitely pre 65 legal. The lower sliders measure approx 340 from axle to top of slider.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 06:10:44 pm »
yeah they don't look very good better sell them to me.  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 08:17:26 pm »
The forks you have there are Bultaco MK 7/8(7", 8 1/2") Pursang,that is judging by the length of them.Earlier models in this type of fork had shorter length legs and different(steel/alloy bottoms and alloy taper tops) triples. The length can be changed by getting shorter damper rods or by using spacers.
 These forks(complete) to my mind would not be suitable for pre 65 as these triple clamps were first used on the MK6 pursang(73)
 Your fork legs have parallel tops and would not fit into taper top fork crowns.I believe that you should have the taper top crowns and the earlier steel or alloy bottom clamps. The sliders are the same(or that close to) as those used on the Bultaco Mettise(Pre 65) so they would be ok.The longer sliders started around MK9/10 Pursangs when they went long travel.

mainline

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 08:05:05 am »
ok, cool, I'll give them a miss.

Thanks to all for the info. I'm learning all the time, so the questions should become more informed.

Cheers again

mainline

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 02:11:34 pm »
mmmmm.......just to make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else, the forks pictured above apparently have 7" of travel. So that aspect is ok.

The sliders are ok going by what Moto has posted?

So is my main issue the triples?

Sorry, coming from Evo this stuff is all new to me.

Thanks again ;D