Author Topic: MX tracks and double jumps.  (Read 20230 times)

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
Re: MX tracks and double jumps.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 02:45:05 pm »
Spot on Number8, but how do we change this.  Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 03:03:44 pm »
Well,I am not sure you can the way I see it you have some people with experience that just basically get brain #*&%ed by these less experienced short sighted people that are effectivly new to the sport and are posssibly on some kind of power trip they are good at getting MA accreditation but lack experience that comes from seeing and doing over a long period,now I dont believe these newer poeple are all that way but some are and there the one;s that work there way up to a position that gives them this "power' and in most cases cease to listen to experienced people or wont seek out and find the help that they could use,to keep the sport Fun and safe as can possibly be,In saying that we do need newer people coming through but it appears that some just dont get it,and as soon as they get there "badge" they have all the answers and let's face it not even the experienced people have all the answers so there appears to be some kind of head trip  involved for some,I may be wrong but how else do you explain the the concerns and complaints witnessed in this thread and it is something I hear often,

TooFastTim

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 03:21:25 pm »
Spot on Number8, but how do we change this.  Peter.

Why bother? My experience with some (plse note SOME) of the pussheads in MX is that all they care about is how they look good with the latest Oakleys etc. As #8 said the nuts are running the nuthouse. Can you tell I don't have much time for modern MX?

I reckon rekindling the Thumper Nats (I seem to started something by bringing them into the equation) would be a start. Any Sunday rider with a half decent bike should be OK to give it a blat.

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 03:22:46 pm »
The way things are heading we will be battling to find a track to race the old bikes on soon.
Unfortunately the clubs have to cater for the majority of their members who are getting younger every year. I'm a member of Sporting at Barrabool and I have watched that track change over the last six or seven years, when I first joined, the bulk of the members were 30 + and the vets classes had a strong following, they even had an over 50's class. The track was a nice flowing natural terrain circuit and over time the younger kids joined up and wanted more jumps etc and they now have around four table tops a triple, stutters and I think two doubles and a step up, all of this in time has slowly pushed the older riders away or into retirement. The over 45's class now consists of three riders and not too many more in the over 40's  This seems to be happening all over now, I noticed Wonthaggi now has two or three more jumps in it and now it looks like Ravenswood have done the same.

I am 48 and I found out in 06 after a big get of at Barrabool you don't bounce back like you did when you were 20, six broken ribs and a sholder blade in two pieces. And to try and push yourself at pace around the tracks the have designed for todays youth is crazy at the least, after all we do have to get up for work on Monday.

Rob.
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 03:23:45 pm »
Yeah, they put in a bunch of double & triple jumps <ducks>
Another one of my Favs gone to sh*t . Not many left now >:(

TooFastTim

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 03:29:27 pm »
Yeah, they put in a bunch of double & triple jumps <ducks>
Another one of my Favs gone to sh*t . Not many left now >:(

I was pulling the piss MM. I haven't a clue.

Viper, what do you need for an classic MX course (include modern enduro bikes too. Most riders would love to have a go)? Just an open and preferably undulating field. Most farmers (if we exclude the insurance factor) are quite happy to let you use their field for a day twice a year. This business of permanant MX tracks is, IMO, bollocks.

Sat morning the organising committee turn up with some stakes, tape and mallets and walk around the field. Sunday you race. Easy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:37:02 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 03:44:46 pm »
........... The track was a nice flowing natural terrain circuit and over time the younger kids joined up and wanted more jumps etc and they now have around four table tops a triple, stutters and I think two doubles and a step up, all of this in time has slowly pushed the older riders away or into retirement. ..................

Rob.

G'day Rob,,

has Barrabool changed much since last year?

i love this track its what got me into viper back in '03 and what has bought me out for a fix this weekend. i too hate the Super X style of tracks, Wonthaggi is home track for me and i feel it has too many of the wrong kind of jumps (read Cliff face walls) what happened to drop offs and jumps that sent you low and long. they now put you in orbit with the Hubble !
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:59:03 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 03:49:27 pm »
I have tried in the last 8 months to set up a motorcycle park/facility around where i live, purely due to there being not many places you can take your family and enjoy a day of riding like we all used to do. Believe it or not all the obstacles that i thought would give me problems were easily overcome, the one stumbling block and i`m sure you all know the answer already was insurance.

The councils in this area agreed on principal, land was out there but no insurance means no tracks. My insurance broker advised me he could insure every aspect of this park except for negligence, that word covers anything you could dream of including a rock that could have been moved off the track before i hit it. Now i am suing you. Negligence is the grey area in the whole deal.

The plan was for no racing at the venue just pure old fun on 3 seperate tracks to suit the riders ability/age etc. I struggle to watch my 6 year old riding out there with the big bikes but he loves the bikes, i know of many people that are in the same boat, bikes in the shed but no where safe and easy to ride.   Peter.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 03:54:05 pm »
Billet,

Have you considerd forming your own club and becoming MA affiliated and there for coverd,all the private promoters do this so they can be coverd,it just means everybody needs a one day licence to ride there,but a small price to pay to get you riding at a decent facility

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 03:55:40 pm »
G'day Hoony,

I haven't been down there since the back to Barrabool weekend and even then I only walked the main track, I spent most of the time on the top grass section of the Oceiana track jetting my bike.
What I did notice was the small jump in the back left corner of the track is now a small table top and the step up in the right hand front corner is now two doubles, and there's an extra jump in the middle straight. But that could all have changed by now.

Rob.
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 04:01:34 pm »
I'm sure at some stage they brought in regs for MX tracks, because I remember within a few months that all the Vic tracks were altered. They had maximun length for straights which meant Broadford, Monza & Bararbool all had to shorten their start straights, no jump allowed between the start gate and turn one, no doubles, maximum size for table tops etc etc.

It was all done at the time because of the number of injuries that were happening... I can't beleive as a sport we have learnt nothing from our history and appear to be making the same mistakes again!!

On the weekend at Broadford most of the riders were young blokes that by the look of their bikes were currently racing.... most were struggling with the doubles with many still rolling them, what hope has a club rider got. Not forgetting there are about 50 clubbies for every one gun rider ::)
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 04:03:00 pm »
Billet,

Have you considerd forming your own club and becoming MA affiliated and there for coverd,all the private promoters do this so they can be coverd,it just means everybody needs a one day licence to ride there,but a small price to pay to get you riding at a decent facility

Number8,
             this was going to be next on the agenda, just wasn`t sure how complicated this way is going to be. Peter.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 04:06:40 pm »
Billet,

Give MAV a call they should assist,

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 04:22:58 pm »
Billet,

That's a good suggestion. It will also help to weed out the fuktards and dipshets - from what I've been hearing from riding parks all over the country, the idiocy from the 'once a month' heros is the hardest thing to deal with - the real racers (of all abilities) are far easier to get along with.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 04:25:24 pm »
Viper, what do you need for an classic MX course (include modern enduro bikes too. Most riders would love to have a go)? Just an open and preferably undulating field. Most farmers (if we exclude the insurance factor) are quite happy to let you use their field for a day twice a year. This business of permanant MX tracks is, IMO, bollocks.

Sat morning the organising committee turn up with some stakes, tape and mallets and walk around the field. Sunday you race. Easy.

Tim, the ironic thing is that maybe twice a year we would run a grass track event such as you described at Sporting, either on the land adjacent to the track or at a members donated farm land. And the younger riders who wanted all the modern jumps etc thought it was fantastic and loved it and couldn't wait for the next one! It also attracted the older riders back for the day and we all had a great time.

Rob.