Author Topic: The pre-78 solo protest.  (Read 20591 times)

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
Re: The pre-78 solo protest.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 07:38:01 pm »
So protests aside are the results available anywhere on the net??? Darcy :)
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 07:46:39 pm »
Orion Timing

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 07:52:05 pm »
i dont know but i think i got 5th overall before the protest. But i know that if i really thought i was a chance at getting a place i would have been all over my bike making sure it was legal before the titles. i am making it legal to race the Qld titles in a few weeks.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 08:01:28 pm »
i dont know but i think i got 5th overall before the protest. But i know that if i really thought i was a chance at getting a place i would have been all over my bike making sure it was legal before the titles. i am making it legal to race the Qld titles in a few weeks.
Just ride Evolution , its still competitive and you got no legal issues.

vintageracer

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 08:10:02 pm »
I agree with motomaniac.

B model forks have the same travel as C's. I have half a dozen B and C forks and they all have the same amount of travel. One of the protests that was made was against the front forks and triple clamps on one of the riders bikes. The forks that were on the riders bike had alloy fork caps that were an after market accessory, which basically only allows the gas valves easier to get to.  These caps don't increase the forks travel by 40mm or there performance. Which the bloke making the protest tried to make out. And as for the rubber handle bar mounts which were the only thing different on the bike. Did anyone take notice of the handle bar rises that the protester had on his bike... I am sure these weren't available back in the 75-77 period. This leaves me to believe the protest was a waste of time and just A way for the protester to make his way up the ladder. Seeing as the alloy fork caps wouldn't make the slightest difference to the bike. What make me angry is that the protest was made at the last minute on the third day of the event. There's always got to be one to goody tool to ruin such a great weekend.       

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 08:15:53 pm »
Actually how do you tell the difference between B and C model forks? they look exactly the same.Im refering to 125's because 125 B's were the first to get the new style fork that later came on all C , c1 c 2 models
How many bikes had protaper type bars? They weren't available until the 90's.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:19:20 pm by motomaniac »

oldfart

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 08:17:24 pm »
  Vintage,    Have you read the rule book     18.7.6 thru to 18.7.8.1

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 08:23:40 pm »
 Vintage,    Have you read the rule book     18.7.6 thru to 18.7.8.1

YES

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 08:51:03 pm »
Kane, if your bike was disqualified for one of the piss poor reasons listed, IMO you have a right to be pissed off! What a load of utter B/S! Brake stay rods, top triple clamps with rubber mounts, C forks and air caps! You gotta be joking! Simple mods using non performance enhancing, readily available parts. Perhaps the guy who made the protest should invest in some riding lessons, practise more or just get a life! It's all good to say he didn't want to get in the points by way of his protest, but if that were the case, why protest?  You can buy trophies you know. Next it'll be the incorrect paint color on your frame.
K

colmoody

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 08:55:36 pm »
Vintageracer, are you suggesting that we take away the right of protest. Yes or no answer will be fine.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 09:18:51 pm »
i think the point is, whats the point of calling a class, in this case 'pre 78' if later parts not identical to pre 78 parts are allowed or are turned a blind eye to? it kind of defeats the purpose of having era specific classes. As Nathan has said, if a part or a model a couple years later is visually identical and mechanically the same (so basically same part number) then yes thats ok, but if the part is visually or mechanically different then its not ok regardless if its performance enhancing or not.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:52:15 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 09:30:40 pm »
i think the point is, whats the point of calling a class, in this case 'pre 78' if later parts not identical to pre 78 parts are allowed or are turned a blind eye to? it kind of defeats the purpose of having era specific classes. As Nathan has said, if a part or a model a couple years later is visually identical and mechanically the same (so basically same part number) then yes thats ok, but if the part is visually or mechanically different then its not ok regardless if its performance enhanching or not.
Yes okay I all for keeping it correct but then Belly's wave disc and protaper bars are blatantly out and Im not sure about Nathans examples .YZ125 forks are different internally, cylinders are ported different.75 CR125 cylinders aren't the same exactly as the 74 GP kits that were offered.
I think we are splitting hairs here .I would prefer not to have a carry over model rule just to keep it simple.
I wasn't at the event but it seemed strange to me that someone could pic a 78 model fork.A 78 model Maico fork for eg wouldnt be so easily noticed but they have 20mm more travel than 77 models .What do you do?

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 09:44:39 pm »
Kane, if your bike was disqualified for one of the piss poor reasons listed, IMO you have a right to be pissed off! What a load of utter B/S! Brake stay rods, top triple clamps with rubber mounts, C forks and air caps! You gotta be joking! Simple mods using non performance enhancing, readily available parts. Perhaps the guy who made the protest should invest in some riding lessons, practise more or just get a life! It's all good to say he didn't want to get in the points by way of his protest, but if that were the case, why protest?  You can buy trophies you know. Next it'll be the incorrect paint color on your frame.
K
BIGK just go's to show that the Rule book NAZI's in the end win.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 09:54:38 pm »
oh yes, wave rotors, modern tapered bars, modern shocks........ its really a can of worms waiting to be opened but i really dont know where things can go from here? perhaps there is room to have some changes made to the rules? or things left as they are now and we will always have questions, quiries, issues etc on whats legal and whats not. Im not that fussed as i know whats legal and of the correct period.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:58:16 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

mx250

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 10:06:14 pm »
K

;D

(I think some facts should be established before this goes too far ;))