Author Topic: What to do to a Yamaha RT1?  (Read 7692 times)

shanefz6

What to do to a Yamaha RT1?
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:25:30 am »
Hi all im going to go racing next year on a stock std RT1. Just wondering if there is anything i should be doing to it to make it better. Im looking at getting some rear shocks at the moment but have no idea any suggestions would be a great help.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: What to do to a Yamaha RT1?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:55:27 am »
Start at the front.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mx250

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:02:04 pm »
Hi all im going to go racing next year on a stock std RT1. Just wondering if there is anything i should be doing to it to make it better. Im looking at getting some rear shocks at the moment but have no idea any suggestions would be a great help.

How much money have you got ::), or willing to spend :-\.

1/ I suggest for safety and enjoyment start on the suspension and make it as good as the rules allow - new rear suspension and new PDS valving or sim for the front.

Lighter hubs front and rear will help the suspension. Careful selection should get a better combination of weight, braking power and strength compared to the Yammy originals. (I'm assuming a 21inch wheel already).

1a/ For the same reasons I suggest you improve the handling by lowering the engine within the frame.

2/ HP. Improved exhaust (chamber), improved intake (carby size and airbox), improved porting.

To achieve the above you can go straight to old bits like GYT kits, and individual GYT bits, after market, like the head been offered on Mark's Swap Meet, or mod your own parts using modern knowledge to get the most out of the bits.

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=9007.0

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=8959.0

Now cue Vandy and Lozza ;D.

mx250

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 12:08:58 pm »

3/ CR gearbox from MX or YZ. Not 100% on this  (yet) but have been told its possible.

Now cue Vandy, Lozza  and Mark AC.T. (for g/box);D.

mx250

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:14:07 pm »
If you want to fund Geoff's retirement you could get him to run you off a copy of one of these, he does it all the time......

mx250

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:17:47 pm »
Here's some inspiration for NOS if your budget or taste don't run to the exotic of a Rickman........

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:30:18 pm by mx250 »

mx250

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:35 pm »
Here's an article on frame lowering. I think Vandy has done this so he might chirp in with advice shortly.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:30:10 pm »

mx250

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:31:11 pm »
Last one ;D

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:53:42 pm »
Hey Shane,
{is my cue timely?}
i've just fininshed racing my RT1 at the 09 Conondale Nats. she's pretty stock~ish and a heavy bike by comparison to the competition but it ran around 8th place in the first 2 races and dnf~ed the 3rd with a broken throttle cable on the first uphill.
Chassis*
get some good shocks=yes
do the best you can with the forks as well.
thats pretty obvious info right.
do the engine lowering in the frame mod. mine has been lowered 2" and is a much better bike.
there heaps of info in this forum already in reguards to the frame mod.
it'll turn up if you go looking.
i use triple clamps from a later model DT with high rise bars and overall it's about as good as it'll be.
the 125 front hub is smaller and lighter. ;)
remove the steel rear guard and make up a plastic inner guard to trim more weight.
weight*
just get rid of as much of it as you can.
engine*
pipe is a good one to have although i used my stocker for a while till i sorted my pipe.you can run into overheating issues with the stocker but it's rare.
34mm mikuni jetted to RT1MX spec
if you value you right leg,teeth and general well being, replace the points ignition with a cdi unit or the "kick~back" on start up will kill you..
the later big bike DT units will bolt straight in and a flywheel weight of 1650grams is spot on for tourque..
my porting and head are STD but are the next things i will be looking to do.
lube the crap out of your clutch cable and clutch worm/gear. fit lighter clutch springs if you can.
my aim has been to slim the bike down a little too as some of the "leg burner" pipes tend to make the RT1,s feel pretty fat. mine tucks in under the frame rails in the leg area and my seat is from an MX125a yammie.
i love my Rt1 but it's not for every track. if your on a pre~75 friendly track then cool but if the going gets tough then you'll need to ride it smart.
thats a heap of info and will take a little time but they're a fun bike. if you need any more info, feel free to give me a hoy and i'll see if i can help.
cheers,
Vandy.
"flat bickie"

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »
heres a link to a previuos topic and theres a photo of my blue RT1 in there with frame lowered etc
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=7306.0
in that topic is also another link to even more RT1 info.
are we mad or what?
gee Greame, you reckon you got enough info in this thread already? ;D
"flat bickie"

mx250

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 01:39:11 pm »
gee Greame, you reckon you got enough info in this thread already? ;D
Nope! He's just a novice. I've got to 'kill him with kindness' and 'sucker' him in, get him hooked, spread the disease 8). If I'm to be afflicted so's everyone else ;D.

Congrats on ya ride :). 8th ain't too shabby at the Nats on an old clunker like the RT 8) - the good fun is a bonus after that :D.

shanefz6

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 02:48:37 pm »
Thanks to all the people that replied.
I think the frame mods will keep me going for a short while.
If you think of anything else i should use or do just let me know.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 08:40:22 am »
I've been racing a fairly standard DT1, and have ridden Vandy's frame-modded RT1.

The frame mod is definitely helpful, but not essential for a novice racer.

My general view is that the most important thing is to have a bike that you trust and are comfortable on, with everything working as well as it should, and you'll be fine. You'll hear a lot of talk about trick shocks, PD valves, etc etc and these things do help - but they're definitely not essential for a novice racer to have a good time and be reasonably competitive.

Remember: Last place in the race beats first spectator everytime!

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 08:56:14 pm »
Hey Shane,
I agree with Nathan, I have only done two meetings on dirt track (about 12 short races), Nathan told me get your bike to 95% and just do it. I bet that you won't come last anyway.. I asume that you have not raced before. Its a buz, hell of a lot of nice people too
OLDYZMAN
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...