Author Topic: 2T vs 4T  (Read 3938 times)

mx250

2T vs 4T
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:44:26 pm »
http://twostrokemotocross.com/2008/08/yz250-vs-yzf250-by-mxa/

Here's an interesting article that directly compares to two stroke and four stroke Yammies. Well I found it interesting..... ::) :P ;D

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: 2T vs 4T
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:24:56 pm »
Interesting read, nothing sounds, smells or gets the adrenalin pumping like a twostroke... But a four stroke is great for mono's
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:05:16 pm »
Interesting read, nothing sounds, smells or gets the adrenalin pumping like a twostroke... But a four stroke is great for mono's
Brett
Yer but a few years back people were saying that theres nothing like the sound of a bunch of 4 strokes roaring off the start line. Funny how time changes things.

TooFastTim

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:23:22 pm »
Yer but a few years back people were saying that theres nothing like the sound of a bunch of 4 strokes roaring off the start line. Funny how time changes things.

True dat!

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:25:50 pm »
i love em both. 2 stroke VMX bikes have more character of sound i reckon. but thats me being fussy...
"flat bickie"

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:11:23 pm »
It's what you're used to.  I used to go watch speedway every week, and never thought twice about the smell.  Now I need a hit of it every year or so!

There used to be an element of 'underdog' with four strokes, as they were mostly glorified enduro bikes for a while.  People would automatically gravitate towards them if they were in a race, just because they were different; and especially if they were doing well. 

The Thumper Nats was interesting, because we got to see whole grids of these weird & wacky bikes, with pro motocrossers well out of their comfort zones riding these big bad hunks of metal.  I had the opportunity of riding Stefan Merriman's TT600 Belgarda thumper nats bike for a day in '97.  That thing was tuned off its head.  I don't think I've ever ridden something so powerful.  That was all great until you tried to jump the thing or make a tight turn.  You could turn the QE2 quicker!  A real challenge for the rider.

When the purpose built YZ400F came along, it basically killed the concept stone dead.  It wasn't a modified trail or enduro bike.  It was built to destroy 250 2-stroke motocrossers!

Now we've gone full circle, and we find the two stroke guy the underdog, and a lot of people are totally over the farty four stroke sound we have today....  ;D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:45:53 pm »
There was actualy an interesting bit in there when they (strangely) said the 2T could be thrown in at any angle on any line where as the 4T had to ride precisely and on the 'correct' line, everyone line astern. Which is oddly what seems to have happened in MotoGP.
Mind you NR it had to be a 400 to try to kill off the mighty 250, would agree with your thoughts on the Thumper Nats as that was just a great avenue for home tuners and bike shops to compete on similar budgets, but with the 450F's it's safely back in the factories hands. NZ was suposed to be running a 250cc class run what you brung but haven't heard how it's gone so far.
Jesus only loves two strokes

mx250

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 05:57:07 am »
Brett
Hmmm, I both love and hate the sound of a 2t. I love the attention grabbing 'urgency' as they 'come on to the pipe', I hate them on the overrun popping and wheezing, I hate the 'ring-dinga-ding' of the typical warm up, and I hate them as the 'hunt' on a steady throttle.

Sound is one comparison I will concede to the 4T :-X ::)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:50:03 am »
They say it all in the first few lines...  without the rule changes, 4 strokes wouldn't get a look in.

All that crap they write in trying to NOT make the 250F sound completely inferior, like how less power can be better for lower lap times, applies to 125cc (or for that matter 200cc) 2 strokes.

And let's not miss the really important point - the ease and cost of maintenance.  Not even close really...

Ah, what would today's younger generation think if they got to ride something truly awesome... like a KX500 or CR500 for example.  ;)

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 08:26:07 am »
Its funny u say that Ajay. A while ago I let a 14 year old student of mine ride a KTM 500. They rode up the dirt rode & came back with a masive smile. Raved how much power & fun. I told them to do a couple of laps of the MX track & got a dumb look  & a coment along the lines of get stuffed. Thats an animal.

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 09:42:23 am »
THE RAPID ACCELARATION OF 2T IS FUN
MODERN 4T THE NOISE IS A PROBLEM
THEY PASS THE STATIC NOISE TEST
WHEN HELD TO THE REV LIMITER
THEY ECHO FOR MILES
NOISE IS THE REASON FOR TRACK CLOSURES IN S/E QLD     

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 04:51:49 pm »
Yes, noise is also a big negative for the modern 4T brigade.  No-one seems to be able to leave the stock mufflers in place, they all seems to want to go out and spend megabucks on louder (and sometimes less powerful) Titanium items.... ::)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 05:29:23 pm »
theres been a fair bit of discussion on this on endurobiketalk.com. we reckon theres going to be a resurgance in 2 strokes and possibly lower maintenance, longer lasting 4 strokes similar to XR400 or like the early long stroke water cooled 4 strokes.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 05:38:17 pm »
There was a bit in a magazine recently actually advocating a 2T for the weekend trailrider........a long while since that's happened
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 06:17:41 pm »
was that in this months ADB? there was a 2T/4T comparison in the july or august ADB.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022