Author Topic: On Any Sunday - these guys just don't get it  (Read 1503 times)

Mark Austin

On Any Sunday - these guys just don't get it
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:05:00 pm »
Hi lads,
I found this old article for On Any Sunday - the writer was not a fan ???
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,877224,00.html
Cheers,
Mark

Curly3

Re: On Any Sunday - these guys just don't get it
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44:05 pm »
Wanker
How could you have a movie about motorcycles without the sound of revving engines.
I don't get off on surfing movies but I understand why some people do.

mx250

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:56:44 pm »
The writer sounds like someone who is very comfortable with and very smug about his own ignorance ::).

mainline

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:21:28 pm »
I'm not even going to bother looking at the link above.

I'd told the 20 yr old apprentice about 'On any Sunday" a while ago, and thought no more of it. He's into the whole freestyle, Crusty thing, although not to the point of ridiculing the older stuff.

A couple of of months later he cma einto work after his birthday to tell me his mum had bought him a copy. he had no idea she was buying it, she'd just seen a motorbike on the cover of the DVD.

Anyhow, we spent the whole day talking these crazy flattrackers on Harleys ripping around, one hand on the bars, with open face helmets.

It's come up a few times since, and yesterday, after he'd been crook on the weekend, he came into work to tell me he'd watched it for the umpteenth time. We talked about how Malcolm Smith was the early equivalent of Cyril Deprauex (or however you spell his name) etc. and the start line footage of the desert race.

Anyhow, my point is, who cares what a tool thinks,the movie is timeless.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:47:19 pm »
Each to their own. I know plenty of people who have absolutely ZERO comprehension for the fascination of Dirt Bikes. That's ok. I don't lose sleep over it.

I still get a warm feeling when I smell the right oils and the sound of a good engine, yet other people will simply gag. In every walk of life there are people doing 'uninteresting' or 'odd' things.

We could all be lusting over our Stamp Collections and ogling magnificent books on Legends and Heroes of Stamp Collecting  (and if you do own an 1856 one-cent "Black on Magenta", I will understand!)

clutchslip

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:17:11 pm »
In my view this is nothing but Hollywood politics masquerading as high-minded journalism. Call me one of those quirky conspiracists if you want, but the writer, a certain Mr Cock, attended the same college as McQueen's arch enemy (and next-door-neighbour) of the time, Paul Newman. Mr Cock is just taking sides here. Perhaps thats why he fails to make the most obvious criticism of the film, that it was a McQueen financed project, and while no doubt showcasing the talents of other riders whom he deeply respected, was aimed solely at financing McQueen's own ability to mess around on bikes with them. Instead of that, we get a load of criticism of director Bruce Brown. Mr Cock went on to develop his own scriptwriting skills in the overly-long and bloated 'Gangs of New York' and that bastion of pre-pubescent melodrama that is 'Titanic'. The unfortunate truth for Mr Cock is that while those two worthless giveaway DVDs will be long forgotten, both Endless Summer and On Any Sunday will continue to be both amazing historical documents, inspirational films and a damn good way to spend an evening with some mates and a few beers, for hundreds of thousands if not millions of both surfers and bike-lovers worldwide. Read it and weep Mr Cock!

Clutchslip (dry plate conversion looming)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:27:49 pm by clutchslip »

mx250

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:34:05 pm »
In my view this is nothing but Hollywood politics masquerading as high-minded journalism. Call me one of those quirky conspiracists if you want, but the writer, a certain Mr Cock, attended the same college as McQueen's arch enemy (and next-door-neighbour) of the time, Paul Newman. Mr Cock is just taking sides here. Perhaps thats why he fails to make the most obvious criticism of the film, that it was a McQueen financed project, and while no doubt showcasing the talents of other riders whom he deeply respected, was aimed solely at financing McQueen's own ability to mess around on bikes with them. Instead of that, we get a load of criticism of director Bruce Brown. Mr Cock went on to develop his own scriptwriting skills in the overly-long and bloated 'Gangs of New York' and that bastion of pre-pubescent melodrama that is 'Titanic'. The unfortunate truth for Mr Cock is that while those two worthless giveaway DVDs will be long forgotten, both Endless Summer and On Any Sunday will continue to be both amazing historical documents, inspirational films and a damn good way to spend an evening with some mates and a few beers, for hundreds of thousands if not millions of both surfers and bike-lovers worldwide. Read it and weep Mr Cock!

Clutchslip (dry plate conversion looming)
Ah, all the pieces fall together 8). Sounds like a well informed opinion ;) :).

firko

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:41:06 pm »
I was once a big fan of Jay Cocks movie critiques in 70's era Rolling Stone magazine (when the mag actually had something to say) but after reading this revue I've lost a lot of respect for his work. Sure On Any Sunday has a shit music score and some of the scenes are a tad repetitive but Cocks misses the one thing that the movie has over most other docos....soul. That movie captured the essesnce of what we all love which is something I've never seen in any other sport doco with the exception perhaps of Browns 'Endless Summer' surf flick.

If Cocks had ever ridden a dirt bike he would have understood Bruce Browns point right from the start. Thankfully the public weren't swayed by his criticism and On Any Sunday went on to become a classic.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: On Any Sunday
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 06:08:34 pm »
They could of called us lot for wardrobe set up ;D

DANA BROWN BEGINS SHOOTING THE NEXT "ON ANY SUNDAY" FEATURE FILM AT THE HISTORIC RED BULL CATALINA GRAND PRIX
Motorcycle Industry Supports Brown's Project Inspired By The Movie That Started It All!
Fullerton, CA - Though still in development stages, the next addition to the iconic "On Any Sunday" film franchise began shooting this past weekend at the Red Bull Catalina Grand Prix under the guidance of Director Dana Brown. Dana's previous credits include "Dust To Glory", "Step Into Liquid" and most recently "High Water". For his next project, Dana will continue the beautiful photography, eye-catching sequences and wonderful storytelling that his father Bruce Brown started with the Academy Award nominated "On Any Sunday" (1971) that has become the hallmark for motorcycle movies.

"We had a great, great shoot this weekend," says Director Dana Brown. "The racers and fans were fantastic, the racing was exciting and backdrops of Catalina and Avalon were just perfect. We could not have picked a better event to begin shooting the next 'On Any Sunday' film!" Though no formal name for the next film has been decided, it will include "On Any Sunday" as part of it.

Because the 2010 Red Bull Catalina Grand Prix took place before the formal film package was complete, the motorcycle industry stepped up in a big way to help sponsor the production on Catalina Island. This epic undertaking included a crew of 17, a helicopter, POV riders and more. The companies to thank are Bel-Ray, Hinson Clutches, Kawasaki, KTM, Motion Pro Tools, Red Bull, Resource Marketing, Troy Lee Designs and Yamaha.

"For these companies to believe in the potential for what this movie could be and just jump in to help, makes me even more confident that this is the right project for us to work on," adds Brown. "Thank you!"       

Beyond the Red Bull Catalina Grand Prix event, other storylines and locations for the new OAS film are still being discussed, but fans old and new alike will not be disappointed. There should be something for everyone.

Fresh from a Baja 1000 win, Ricky Johnson talks about the Catalina GP.        "The sport has changed a lot in the 40 years since my dad's first movie and I plan on giving the audience the best of what they expect and the unexpected as well. What hasn't changed however, are the great people involved in motorcycling and that is why I am here," concludes Brown.

The project is slated to shoot throughout 2011 and with an anticipated release in theatres in 2012. It is a co-production between Dana Brown Adventure Films and Pipeline Digital Media, who's credits include "The Motocross Files", "Epic Ride" and most recently, "The Carlsbad USGP:1980".

For more information contact:
Todd Huffman [email protected] / Syd Cole [email protected]

Best is in the West !!