Author Topic: Maico (what would it be worth.)  (Read 5349 times)

albrid-3

Re: Maico (what would it be worth.)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 10:29:06 pm »
Paul, l know how you feel, at the moment l am selling 3 bikes for my friends and l am in the middle, and l have a head spins. if l fined a macio 501 , l will let you know.

maicostu

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 07:58:44 pm »
Mark .
          Please!!! ,a monty frame , nowonder it was cheap.
   Dont get dirty with me because i didnt want to sell you a maico frame for 400 bucks

maico stu

All Things 414

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »
I'll lend you my goat Evo. 8). Cool. What type of Monty? Cough up.
Stu knows a bit about Monty frames (well, the back part anyway....)  ;)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 09:33:51 pm »
      The Monty I bought is a '77 VB360 & is a running /race ready bike (although it does need some original bits). I have lusted for one of those for a long time, as I think they are one of the nicest looking motocross bikes ever made. Ross, I wanted to talk to you at the Bike Bonanza , to ask about setting it up & parts sources, but I didn't end up catching up with you .
      The frame I ended up buying was a modified/vandalized '73 Maico, for considerably less than $400, which is what I wanted for my Rotax hybrid project . I didn't want to use a good, unmolested Maico frame as I think that would be the wrong thing to do .
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:36:35 pm by Husky500evo »

All Things 414

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 06:39:44 am »
The Monty I bought is a '77 VB360 & is a running /race ready bike (although it does need some original bits). I have lusted for one of those for a long time, as I think they are one of the nicest looking motocross bikes ever made.

That's a good buy. No matter what you paid for it.  ;)

Ross, I wanted to talk to you at the Bike Bonanza , to ask about setting it up & parts sources, but I didn't end up catching up with you .

I was a little busy shovelling Suzuki riders into ambulances at the time.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:10:55 am by All Things 414 »

mx250

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 07:09:35 am »
There was only about 400 VB360's made. How many of them still exist and/or being restored? It seems like it must be 390 out of the 400 ::). I estimate that there are probably at least four being currently restored in Oz. Jared would probably have a clue - if you restore a Monty there's a pretty good chance that you would end up dealing with Jared.

I have lusted for one of those for a long time, as I think they are one of the nicest looking motocross bikes ever made.
Ah, a man of my own heart.

firko

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 09:51:12 am »
I have to admit that I've always had a soft spot for Montesas. The VB360 would have to be at the top of my Monty wish list, slightly in front of a '68 360 Cappra orange tanker and a '66 La Cross. It's a pity about the weird skewif side numberplates spoiling the good looks. Surely the design team must could have thought of something (anything) a bit better?

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 11:41:21 am »
The Radical you've got on evilpay looks like a sweet old bike but what is the reserve - at $5600 it's starting to get 'up there'

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 10:17:35 pm »
      Sorry about the thread hijack, but this is general chat so I figure it is fair game . For an unrestored  '73 Maico 400, I think that $5600 is towards the upper end of the spectrum . Good luck, if the reserve is much more than that.
      But regarding production numbers of VB360 Montesa's, I thought that 800 of the '77 model were made & 400 of the '78 ?

Offline Tim37

• C-Grade
  • Its an investment ...had to buy it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 10:29:56 pm »
Had a look at that 73 , thats the kind of thing you dont see often . Today unrestored originals are the new "black" . That bike is worth a good price over and above a restored bike or hacked racer  all it needs is some Metzeler tyres and a scrub . However for rider who like to race and ride the thing is too good so its a limited market unless you are a rich racer ...dont know many of them !  MY guess is about 6-7k to a collector
good luck Dave ..

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 10:25:12 am »
Well I ended up buying a Montesa , but I can't join the owners club yet because I can't find who has possession of the ceremonial goat  ;D. I thought that Holeshot Buddy had it, but he denies it  ???. Maybe Nathan has it hidden away down in Yass  :D ?

Not sure about the Montesa ceremonial goat, but I can direct you to the Yamaha ceremonial goat...

NZers need not apply ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Tim37

• C-Grade
  • Its an investment ...had to buy it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 12:47:30 pm »
Nice pipe on the yam !
But look close  and you can see the welding on those horns is boardering on artwork !!!  Gmc must have had the front legs in his gumboots when he welded those on ????  While your at it give thatTwinport frame a seeing to old chap .....cheers Tim

maicostu

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 09:29:04 pm »
Lets get back to the thread  about dave telling us , he is  helping  all of us out , by selling other peoples bikes.
Theres no money in it for him you know!!

maico stu

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 09:58:00 pm »
OK with or without goats we have prices of,
$5600
$6000
$7000
Good bike, so worth the doola. 8)