Author Topic: 1984 CR250 Clutch cover fail - any recommended repairers?  (Read 7855 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 CR250 Clutch cover fail - any recommended repairers?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 09:24:10 pm »
Yeah the Magnesium filler rods are expensive allright.
Never set fire to a case yet.
Surprised to see a lot of you guys recommend this putty stuff, personally I hate it as the cases that come to me still leaking means I have to dig all that shit out to be able to weld it.
I guess the ones that work are the ones I never see.

I wouldn't say the Mag. is low grade alloy, it's just mag, that's the price you pay for lightweight.

Do you have a picture of the problem area RLS/
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

rls840

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 09:26:11 pm »
Ill take one and post it ASAP. Cheers

STW996

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 12:00:41 pm »
I wouldn't say the Mag. is low grade alloy, it's just mag, that's the price you pay for lightweight.

Yes Geoff you are correct it is not a low grade (usually) but the cases Honda made early on were not of a high percentage (to be more correct in what I am saying) of magnesium but just high enough to make them a real pain to weld specially with 20 years worth of corrison on them.

I can and do tig weld but tend to say away from high magnesium do to the trouble with welding it, but if you are doing it day to day I am sure it comes a lot easier.

The types of devcon on the market these days is very good and it is a lot easier for the usual Joe blow to use then having welded, but in your case Geoff I am sure it is not beyond you.

Shane

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 08:22:30 pm »
Geoff - good to catch up at the Nats - good to put a friendly face to a name.  I have just opened up the 83 CR250 I have bought (low hour machine) and found some corrosion in the water pump area (surprise surprise) and what looks like a buggered water pump seal.  Anyway I find "liquid metal" ie Devcon etc to be pretty good as I didn't think it was possible to do such a small repair through welding etc.  Seriously is it worthwhile sending through to you to have a look at or should I use the Devcon etc mode.  I am just a big believer in doing a repair once and once only??????????

As always Geoffery I rely upon the expertise of GODS such as yourself for those of us not so mechancially minded!!!

cheers - your best customer (oh sorry not enough bikes thats right  ;D)

Rossco

PS - I can always send the case over with the footpegs if I dont mind getting protested for oversize footpegs  :D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 04:31:20 pm »
Yeah, good to meet you at last Rossco, but at the moment Brad's one of my best customers as he wins more titles ;D

Repairing properly first time is best advice on many things but I really need to see the case.
I only charge $100.00 for free advice if you want to send it over with the pegs. ::) ;D

Welding corroded Mag is like welding rusty steel, you have to cut away the crap to get back to some good material, & these side covers are compounded by hard to reach nooks & cranny's.

These putty things only seem to stick in the nooks & cranny's, & it's the hardest spot to dig it out of. I guess it may depend on how clean it is when its put on.

I believe Red Devil can help you with seals.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 08:20:32 pm »
Geez - you really know how to make a guy feel good don't you - class 101 how to win friends and influence people.

Geoff - might send it over so you can have a look mate.

I don't think I can ever comepte with Brad regards titles but maybe I can send more work your way !!!!!!

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica