Author Topic: places to ride  (Read 4045 times)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
places to ride
« on: July 25, 2009, 09:47:41 am »
hi all just wondering if anyone knows of any places where me and my kids could go riding.preferably around gold coast brissy area.no good joining clubs or racing as i work every saturday and most race or club events run on saturday and sunday.i dont normaly get home from work until about 8 to 9 at nite so even preparation is all down to sunday morning.dont mind paying to ride somewhere but must be close to where i live.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanx gary

dave

Re: places to ride
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:55:12 am »
Sorry Gary I only know places for club days. There are lots of people riding illegally i.e. off the side of the road on crown land. I know that a councillor from Redlands council was trying to get some land up and running for a recreational motorcycle park, but as soon as it was reported in the paper it received huge opposition >:(. If you find out a place let me know as I'm regularly down your way.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:30:14 am »
dave we go to a place at coomera bu it is starting to get a bit crowded and to dangerous for the kids to many idiots.there is also a place at ripley private land they charge 10 bucks per bike per day bookings essential.but even ripley is a bit hard for us to get there by the time kids get up load 5 bikes food drinks and all the gear drive out there and unload.before u know it your packing up to go home again.its a great place 2 pee wee tracks advanced motocross track and plenty of trails and enduros all tracks are marked direction of travel.every time we go there we have a ball.i have to go to work now will be back on about 8 tonight thanx for your feed back and if you want ripleys ph number is 3288 0109 ill post details of how to get there when i get home tonight by all have a great day

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:32:50 am »
Gary,
I spend alot of time at a bike park at Kenilworth on the Sunny coast.
They have 4 tracks from grass track right through to modern main track. I punt my '86 Husky around the main track and can do most with ease.............except the 900 meter table top and the triple step up ( but no one else does it either so I don't feel so bad)
The tracks are maintained each week and has irrigation set up.
There are some short trails as well depending on your ability......some interesting hill climbs ;)

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 02:55:29 pm »
I'm pretty sure they have closed the Ilegal track down next to Dreamword ( same side 400 m up on service road )
I get to do my test a tune sessions on private land amongst the cane fields  ;D
I have been told there is a private track at  Coomera ????

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 07:14:24 pm »
hey oldfart the one on the service rd is still open but to dangerous for the young kids.there is another just off foxwell rd i think its cunningham rd there is one occupied house there but i dont like to bother people with the bike noise.im not about annoying people just going for a fun day with the wife and kids.id love to do some sort of racing but i think i would just get in most peoples way something social no competition would be great.i can ride and handle my bike but dont think im up to racing standards.maybe a practice day or something similar where public is welcome to ride.thanx gary

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 07:23:44 pm »
thanx evo555 but kenilworth is a bit far for one days ride ,i will look into it though.i wouldnt feel bad about not making the big table top id be lucky to make a 9 foot table top.gary

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 08:13:53 pm »
 Old school ... there was an artical in local rag, that fun police where going to frequent the place ( service road and Cunningham road ) as most of it is owned by a developer  ;) surrounding property's have had enough .
I tried to google the private track at the end of  Yawalpa road ......same road as Gainsborough Greens G.C  but does not come up  ???
Best thing to do is ask a farmer .

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:16:50 pm »
Club days are only about once a month if that. You need to join Stanmore and/ or Reedy Creek. They have practice days every weekend except club day weekends. Reedy also have rides at night. BMCC has an occasional kids day as well.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 08:32:25 pm »
The private track at the end of Yawalpah rd used to be Dan Reardons practice track but is now leased by a small group of people and is definately private with a locked gate. That place at coomera is over run with idiots and too danderous now. Stanmore is probably the most suitable track in the area. I have been to Kenilworth which is also good but a long drive from the Gold Coast.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 09:05:08 pm »
thanx oldfart yeh they showed up at cunningham rd about 3 weeks ago.but havent seen them at the service rd site yet wont be long though .a young bloke got taken from there by ambo last week to fast and to many potholes for his pit bike.and as jonnyo said to many idiots there .me and the two oldest daughters unload near the road go across the creek and ride over near the train line.but its getting to risky even to take the to eldest there.someone is going to get hurt there real bad and i dont want to be there when it happens.thanx all gary

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »
thanx 090 im only across the river from stanmore been over there a couple of times for a look maybe ill have to get off my butt and look into stanmore.seen a nice old 79 yz465 down at coomera a couple of weeks ago the only other old bike ive seen out.thanx all much appreciated.gary ps ill get back to you shortly about the jersey.also noticed you had a suzuki pe 175 side cover but didnt know the year if you still have it it looks like 83 84 model.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 01:31:43 pm »
Oldy,mate I've given up looking for isolated tracts of land so myself and my son can ride in peace for a few hours.
Being in the building trade I often got to work in some isolated new housing estates.I'd load the bikes on for a ride and head off to these places on weekends.The last few times I had gone out,I'd found most of the places were either; overrun with dickheads behaving and riding dangerously,the areas were guarded by security,or the police aren't far away from dropping by,when there is that many bikes making noise.The last place I rode on public land was more than a year ago,near Blunder Crk off Johnstons Rd near the Greenbank Army Range,a 45 min drive,there were more nobs on bikes,than knobs on yer tyres that day.
What I've been doing is heading off to the bike parks,sure there are some fools there,but the places are large enough to find your own tracks to blast off along.
As evo550 wrote,Kenilworth on the Sunny Coast is apparently a great spot to ride(no I haven't ridden it,a mate of mine has and he reckoned it was brilliant),you can camp there too.It took me 2 and a bit hours to drive from Southport to Conondale,to attend CD6 with a ute load of bikes and camping equipment.Kenilworth is only a bit further up the road from Conondale.
Due to the nature of my job I can plan a weekend here and there to get out to the various parks around the place,except Manar Pk,its near 400ks away.There are also a few motor bike parks over the border that have camping areas or even have cabins set up,so you can sleep in some comfort.And they aren't a long trek by vehicle.
I know you're talking about weekend blasts somewhere nearby with the family and not going off on a holiday.Sadly though,these little back paddocks are being either built out by developers or,overrun,or just unsuitable for a family day out.

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:57:47 pm »
hi mark you got it right the place out at south ripley is pretty good.tracks arent looked after to well,but riding in the bush tracks arent looked after at all.its not approved at ripley but for 10 bucks sure beets a hefty fine,the place at ripley is policed by the owners in there 4wd so it keeps the dickhead factor down.actually got back from coomera about 1 hour ago found a nice quiet spot no one there but us.great day had by all,not near any houses so no one to annoy with noise.cheers gary.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 07:53:30 pm »
Gary,mate don't keep it a secret.Where'd you find a quiet spot out Coomera way?
Pm me if yer worried bout the site being flooded by fools. ;)
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.