Author Topic: Welders take note!  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Welders take note!
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:37:48 pm »

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Welders take note!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:01:12 pm »
i would have got to medical help when it first happened you spend a long time dead

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:09:28 pm »
hell we used to get zinc poisoning from welding Galv every second week and laughed off with a couple of glasses of milk.

Dudes a whiner ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:25:26 pm »
this is not quiet welding but still working with chemicals... ::)   ;D

In the days of dingo extermination out bush with Strychnine poison you had to have a note on you if you worked  with the indigenous folk, so they weren't implemented in your death if you accidentally sniffed too much of the white stuff up your nose :o

in other words your responsible for your own actions
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:16:44 pm »
Like Marc, I've done shitloads of welding of galvanised steel and often came down with the dreaded 'Gal Lurgi' which has symptoms not unlike the flu. Milk is indeed the best short term 'cure'. One time I came down with a bout of severe headaches, halucinations and nightmares after welding an aftermarket alloy Chev engine block that had been 'dipped' in some sort of cleaning process. I just may have been a similar experience to the above bloke. I was as crook as Rookwood for at least a week but didn't go to the doctors. After reading the above, perhaps I should have. My kidneys aren't in the best of condition today and this may have had something to do with it.
A good warning for all welders.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:19:45 pm by firko »

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 04:32:26 pm »
Incidentally, Phosgene gas was used as a chemical weapon during WWI.

RMJJ

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 06:21:41 pm »
Fosgene is also produced when old style fridge or air con gas comes in contact with a naked flame.
I've had enough wiffs of it in the old days when brazing pipes during a repair

He must have has more than a small wiff if it did all that damage to him.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: TIG welders tan
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 07:24:21 am »
Just recovering from a little TIG tan at the moment, few tacks in a T shirt turned into a few welds which really nailed my inner arms.

Don't know how they do it on American Chopper. OSH would have fun with the Teutals.
formerly Marc.com

Curly3

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 04:47:43 pm »
I've always wondered the same thing about the American Chopper Dudes as well.
There was an article in the paper last year that said you could get skin cancer from ray-burn.
I've been welding all my working life and had it heaps of times on various body parts and always thought it probably wasn't good but that confirmed it.
Good ventilation is the key but with MIG & TIG its not always possible so I often use a respirator, which is horrible during summer.