Author Topic: square slide carbies.  (Read 4187 times)

firko

square slide carbies.
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:26:12 pm »
With flat slide carburetors being declared ilegal for pre 75, where do I stand with my under construction 650 Benelli flat tracker? The engine is a legitimate '74 model and is factory fitted with a pair of 29mm square slide Dellortos. There's no way I wish to change them as the engine is remaining stock so therefore the carbs are already jetted right and a matching pair to suit that engine. They're obviously not round slide carbs so are they regarded as flat slides?

What do the rulebook junkies think?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:07:23 pm by firko »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: square slide carbies.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:35:41 pm »
A parts fische or manual will sort the issue but if they are on a standard bike how could anyone argue they are not from the period? With the proof they  would be 100% legal IMO.
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:33:25 pm »
I've got all sorts of written proof Lozza but the rulebook specifically states that flatslide carbies aren't allowed for pre 75.
It doesn't matter too much to me as the bike won't see too much official championship racing but on the off chance that
I do race a title meeting I'd like it sorted befor it gets ugly and violent in the scrutinnering line ::).

I seriously think the vintage carburetor section of MoMs needs some further work. There's no way late flatslide carbs should be allowed in Evo except for Lectron, EI, Blue Magnum and such. No way are late Mikuni, Keihin or Dellortos correct but you watch the punters go for them now. In pre 65 Gardner flat slide carbies should be allowed as they were around in the early 60s but as the rule is currently worded, you can't use 'em, yet you can in pre '62 road racing.

I'm only mentioning these hyperthetical situations to demonstrate the lack of serious research that went into that section of the rulebook.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:35:22 pm by firko »

mx250

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:02:54 pm »
You like to stir the possum don't ya Firko ;D.

These carbies open a new chapter of controversy - are square slide carbs included in the flat side rule?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:23:08 pm »
Agreed on that firko(WTF ???) true rules don't exclude carbs like PWM or a PWK with a TPS/Power jet soleniod and anyone can have a box of tricks to run them.Even if I run the black box I wouldn't run the carb.
With the Dellorto's I think again unfortunately if there was an 'ugly scrutineering incident' it would taken to the enth degree be a ruling on the definition of 'flat'. True Gardners were available in the 60's and plenty of evidence of them being used in open competition and available for sale.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:41:52 pm »
mid 60's Ducati singles started running square slides,it shouldn't get ugly,especially if they're original fittment Firko,no wukkers with "gardiners" in pre 65,but pre 62 P3 RR is a bit iffy,theres no (apparently) written info predating that period, but hey,the powers that be are letting round slide mikuni's in pre 62 (P3) to redress the balance as Amal MK2's are allowed,(ie 2 wrongs do make a right??),so 40mm Mikuni stocks just went up in value bigtime ;)
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:16:46 am »
Mick's right Mark.

SQUARE slide 29mm Del'ortos were std issue on Ducati 450's which first appeared in 69.

They are less than spectacular in performance and are better replaced with 30mm or 32mm ROUND slide Delortos which date back to 71 as far as I know and have accelerator pumps. Square slide carbs aren't worth the effort and getting slides is not easy unless someone has taken to making replacements.

If taking on the hierarchy you can tell em hey are DEFINITELY pre 75!

Cheers,

Dave Mac  :D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

number 87

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 08:39:59 am »
Just ride ya bike firko and tell'm to F-R-O!!

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 07:47:35 pm »
don't take this the wrong way Firko,but the only thing ugly at scrutineering will be the square body delorto's,i think the conversation will go along the lines of ,"is that the best you could find",(snigger snigger) :P :P :P

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 10:11:28 pm »
good one Mick. you're right

firko

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 11:07:33 pm »
Yeah I know they're shit boys but that's not the point I was trying to make. I've got 'em on the engine and I don't want to change anything until the bike's finished and winning races ;D. I was merely bringing up the point to show the discrepancies in the rulebook. I've got a pair of 30mm Mikunis or a pair of Amals from a Triumph Bonnie for down the line..

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 11:52:28 pm »
bugger!,that'll teach me to be a smartarse, :-[ my 2stroke 36mm delorto dosent fit the new ossa,if it makes you feel any better Firko,(karma?) it's rubber manifold has benelli italy on it  ::),only thing that fits up crankcase to inlet manifold is a keihin off a CR250 i had 30 something years ago,(knew there was a good reason for keeping it ::),hope the jettings close  ;D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:38:16 pm »
THread hijack but where or what can i use on the RT/Dt piston port barrell that is a flange that will go over the 2 bolts so i can slide a normal MUk in there, VAndy what did you source and where ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 12:40:07 pm »
Baaaaad thread hijack! You just used my Del Orto link off the Benelli thread rather than start a new thread! No wonder people get confused you naughty boy. ::)
Freaky, try a TM Suzuki rubber manifold. I'm fairly sure that's what I used.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:42:47 pm by firko »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 01:30:08 pm »
Sorry just you where all in here talking boout carbs, though it was the perfeect converstion slide, I did try a TS250 (assume same as TM) but the base steel section is too small its out by a few mm so the bolt holes are about 5mm too short, you might be able to eliptical the holes wide out but then it would open up and be only held on by only half of the bolt/nut.

Any Other ideas what fits up properly ?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:38:05 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff