Author Topic: Accident Insurance  (Read 3471 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Accident Insurance
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:22:02 pm »
Anyone packing accident insurance?
Can't say I've ever managed to break a single bone in 51 years...............but, this great idea I've had to go racing when maybe I should be just watching it on tele. (nah, not really  ;D  ) has got me thinking about it.
So what are the thoughts? just started looking, but to be honest it seems 'orribly expensize for what you (might) get. Thinking the better idea may be to invest in a good medical fund instead.
Any Pro's....Con's out there?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Accident Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 08:25:23 pm »
Don't know if insurance helps all that much but the frieght to get a deceased person across OZ is 14K...
One nice Metisse   ;D
cheers
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:26:16 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:44:15 pm »
looked at it but it goes up every year at a fixed rate so the linear effect is crazy, before you know you paying twice what you where.  jUst get good ambo cover in your private health, unless your a private business man then maybe get some income protection.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:54:40 pm »
combined insurances covers you for actually racing,(any form of transport),unfortunatly i've used it a few times,but really helps when your'e self employed,took me 35yrs of racing before i broke  bones,ambulance fund is a must,actually compulsery most states,my ambo ride last year from Broadford was $3750 (HCF),imagine what air ambo ride would cost??  :o
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:21:14 am »
should taken a taxi Mick, or called home james and they could have driven ya back in the van.

harden up :O
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 04:44:27 am »
Yep I agree with Matcho Maico. 'Combined Insurance'  I have income protection with them. When I smashed my leg a couple of years ago ::). Just got the doc to fill in the papers sent them off and they started paying no hassles at all. :) Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 05:27:45 am »
'Combined Insurance'  YZhilly put me onto it. best thing i have done, self employed as well.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:44:18 am »
Will Combined cover you if you get injured racing/riding?  Or does that just push the premiums through the roof?

Offline TC91

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:10:27 am »
"Combined"is the go. It is about the only accident policy that has a realistic premium with their motor racing clause. I have been paying it for 20 yrs. had a claim about 15 yrs ago no problems, straightforward. I am actually lodging a claim today so we will see if anything has changed. Being self employed I consider it vital

TT

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 11:49:44 am »
I'm amazed to hear that Combined Insurance are still in business but good to hear they have improved their game.  ;D
I was insured with them 25 years ago and never made a claim, but a few mates tried to and nobody got paid. (None of those claims related to motorsport either)
I also found out that the sales guy outright lied about his cover being compulsary to get an ACU licence and when when I tried to cancel, the sales guy harrassed my Mum and even stuck his foot in the door so she couldn't close it on him.
They had a really bad reputation in S.A. back then.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:11:44 pm by Tony T »

mainline

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 05:54:07 pm »
I looked at Combined, after having an insurance broker check with all the other insurance companies for Income Protection Insurance . As soon as MX was mentioned as a sporting interest they all baulked. The only one I found (apart from Combined) was AIG (now called AIA)

The policies are very different, you'll need to sort through the details and decide for yourself, but I went with AIG for a number of my own reasons.

As an aside, I found it ridiculous that every single insurance company wouldn't have a problem insuring me if I rode a 1200cc road bike through peak hour traffic every working day of my life, but if I ride vintage MX once a month they weren't interested ::)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 08:06:26 pm »
As an aside, I found it ridiculous that every single insurance company wouldn't have a problem insuring me if I rode a 1200cc road bike through peak hour traffic every working day of my life, but if I ride vintage MX once a month they weren't interested ::)

Ironic isn't it. its all about which has a greater degree of risk in there eyes.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 08:25:09 pm »
NR555 They payed me and I smashed my leg racing at the Nat's in Coff's ::) Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 09:55:15 pm »
Hmmm, that's interesting "Combined" is the one that approached me re: insurance. Certainly the fact that you may race bikes doesn't seem to matter or indeed any other sport you can name......with the exception of aviation. Haven't been in Tassie all that long, but I'm sure Ambo is still free here. Maybe I should look a bit harder at the deal.

Offline Tankslapper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Hydrosteer
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:53 pm »
Had a ride in the air ambo from Mount Hotham to the Alfred Hospital (Melbourne) Luckily TAC picked up the $9268.46 tab. Pillion went to Warragul Base Hospital via road in a MICA van for $2965.00
Any accidents on registered vehicles/bikes are covered by TAC in Victoria.