Author Topic: New project for Firko  (Read 3168 times)

firko

New project for Firko
« on: July 12, 2009, 04:37:51 pm »
I've been looking for a DT2MX for years and finally one turns up. It ain't the prettiest 1972 DT2MX but it's 99% all there and unmolested and at $200US I reckon it was a steal. Even though the model wasn't a moto monster by any stretch, they were the first purpose built motocross bike built by Yamaha and are pretty rare, even rarer than the iconic YZ250A. Because of that they're fast catching the YZ in price. Looks like that tank may find a use Vandy!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:39:38 pm by firko »

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New project for Firko
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 05:52:12 pm »
Love the front guard, Its all about style
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

mx250

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:49:28 pm »
I looked longingly at that Yammy on the Vintage MX site  :'( :-[.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:30:42 pm »
Way ahead of it's time ....direct fuel injection  ;D        Nice find

firko

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:10:33 pm »
I looked longingly at that Yammy on the Vintage MX site   .
The quick and the dead Graeme. I was away and didn't see it until day 2 and didn't think it'd still be available. You should have gone for it. :-\

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 07:40:13 am »
Mark,

I like em too, don't know why. Probably cos there was a couple of them at my local race track back in the day. With a little suspension work they were said to be half-decent on the track. Back in 72, Cycle  World ran an article from Larry Watkins on getting an RT2M under 200lbs - using the stock frame. It would have been quite a weapon in its day.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:16:54 am by JC »

firko

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:08:25 am »
Hi John...To me the DT2MX is one of the better looking bikes of the era. Gary Morris a reasonable B grader in my club bought one and I managed to bludge a ride on it at an Annandale-Leichardt club day at Amaroo Park. Unfortunately, except for the Bultaco Lobito and TM250, I doubt I'd ever been so disapointed in a bike. It handled no better than my previous RT1 and even though the engine was a sweetie, it was like riding a Harley compared to my Maico.

Now, 38 years later I still reckon they're beautiful and even if I put it on the 'Larry Watkins' diet and cut and shut the frame, I have a shed full of bikes that would easily out perform it. Because of its rarity and originality, this baby is going to get a concourse resto and join my DT1 as queens of my garage and the Kevlar Kompound at Classic Dirt.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:14:43 am by firko »

mx250

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:46:23 am »
I looked longingly at that Yammy on the Vintage MX site   .
The quick and the dead Graeme. I was away and didn't see it until day 2 and didn't think it'd still be available. You should have gone for it. :-\
A different place a different time I would have snapped it up. But I have too much on at the mo -  in every part of my life :P. But to me it was desirable because of its rarity and it's place in Yamaha's, and therefore MX, evolution.

I look forward to seeing it Mark. I know you'll do it justice :).

firko

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:05:44 am »
I look forward to seeing it Mark. I know you'll do it justice
Thanks Graeme. Don't hold your breath though mate as this one is going to be a long termer and I won't even think of starting on it until the other projects are out of the workshop. That puts it at #5 on the waiting list right now. I grabbed it for the future rather than a quickie makeover.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:14:34 am »
well done Mark! a top score indeed.
as for that Tank, it looks like the one on that bike you got there aint too shabby either.
cool that it's still got the clutch & flywheel covers as they're pretty sort after items just by them selves.
love the handlebars!
i also have a complete airbox/filter/cage/rubber boot for that model. it's had a few holes drilled in it and isn't concourse but it looks like yours has the airbox anyway.
way cool! 8)
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:23:57 am »
I've got a NOS pipe complete with NOS skyways muffler which is what was fitted from new in California as the Skyways has a spark arrestor which the Yamaha original hasn't. I also have a NOS aftermarket 'Torque' brand pipe to suit the model as well. I purchased them for my Cheney RT1 but now have a better pipe for it so the stock pipe now has a use.

TT

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 09:52:52 pm »
Don't know about the rest of you blokes, but I'll put my hand up and say that I've never bought a bike from the U.S. cos the shipping thing scares me.  ::)

I guess it's like anything you've never done before........................  :-\

I think you've got a few contacts and have done it a few times Mark, but I'm sure you'd offer advice to any of us that would like to do something similar??
There's so many bargains to be had in both cars and bikes at the moment, maybe it's time to get brave.  ???

firko

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 04:46:20 pm »
Sometimes things go just right. I just got an email from James the guy I bought the DT2MX from, he'd just arrived back from dropping the bike off at Preferred Transport Systems in Long Beach for it's journey to OZ. While there he watched the bike being loaded into a container along with a CZ ,a Metisse, a Harley flat tracker and a couple of Camaros. I wonder who the other bikes are for? Anyone here? This deal has been so easy, James has been easy to work with, pulling the engine and boxing it and delivering it all within a week of me seeing the ad. It should be here within a month or so.

I've had a major rethink on the DT2MX as well. I had intended it to give it a full concourse resto but I've got a few bling bikes on the go and a bloke can take only so much glitter and shine, not to mention the costs involved. I've decided to leave the Yamaha in 'as found' condition, the only things I'll do are to rebuild the engine and suspension and get it to race spec, being careful to preserve the well earned patina it currently wears with pride (see above photos). The seat will be replaced with a second hand item that'll blend in with the patina, I've already got a reasonably rust free set of forks to suit, have a pair of usable period Metzlers and a set of decent original Showas (left over from the DT1 project). I reckon the bike has earned its weathered look and I bet it'll get more attention unrestored than restored.

Anyone got any used but servicable DT2MX fenders in original finish, no matter how faded they are that they'd like to sell?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:49:48 pm by firko »

mx250

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 04:49:34 pm »
Sometimes things go just right. I just got an email from James the guy I bought the DT2MX from, he'd just arrived back from dropping the bike off at Preferred Transport Systems in Long Beach for it's journey to OZ. While there he watched the bike being loaded into a container along with a CZ ,a Metisse, a Harley flat tracker and a couple of Camaros. I wonder who the other bikes are for? Anyone here? This deal has been so easy, James has been easy to work with, pulling the engine and boxing it and delivering it all within a week of me seeing the ad. It should be here within a month or so.

I've had a major rethink on the DT2MX as well. I had intended it to give it a full concourse resto but I've got a few bling bikes on the go and a bloke can take only so much glitter and shine, not to mention the costs involved. I've decided to leave the Yamaha in 'as found' condition, the only things I'll do are to rebuild the engine and suspension and get it to race spec, being careful to preserve the well earned patina it currently wears with pride (see above photos). The seat will be replaced with a second hand item that'll blend in with the patina, I've already got a reasonably rust free set of forks to suit, have a pair of usable period Metzlers and a set of decent original Showas (left over from the DT1 project). I reckon the bike has earned its weathered look and I bet it'll get more attention unrestored than restored.

What do you reckon?
I like the idea, but don't replace the seat just use 'period' racer tape to repair just as we did 'back in the day'. ;D

firko

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 04:52:02 pm »
Racer tape ;D I like it!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:53:33 pm by firko »