Author Topic: Something I'd never seen or heard of..  (Read 7052 times)

DR

Something I'd never seen or heard of..
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:16:48 pm »
until about 10 minutes ago that is ;)

a rare weapon! 8)

the image courtesy of http://martytripesvintage.com where you'll find the rest of the pics in the list at right under the tab 'FLINK Motorcycle'

firko

Re: Something I'd never seen or heard of..
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:23 pm »
Believe it or not our transported Norwegian Jens Olsen used to race a Flink back in the old country. He spent an hour once telling me the whole Flink story. From what I remember it's a pretty interesting yarn. Pity I've forgotten most of it.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 10:43:56 am »
John Kirkpatrick in WA ..the Australian Husqvarna importer had a very good relationship with Flink...John was always interested in any modifications to make the bikes better..Probably still has literature from Flink stashed away somewhere.!! The early VMX mags have some history on Husky...you can see the influence for Flink in the early Lindstrom bikes..

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 07:04:10 pm »
It's hard to tell from the pics on my computer , does the tank act as the frame backbone ? The whole thing looks very "one peice" from the steering stem down to the foot pegs.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:20:50 pm »
Just read the story, frame & tank are 1 piece

firko

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:13:05 am »
Not only are the Flink frame and tank one piece, the expansion chamber is also intergal with the frame!
Here are some photos sent to Jonesy and Husky 67 last year by their Swedish mate Per-Arne Westling. Note that this particular model appears to feature Flinks own engine. 

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:14:56 am by firko »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 02:43:52 pm »
Christ no an Ikea bike, kind of makes a Volvo like like a Pinafarina designed Ferrari ::)
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 10:39:42 am »
According to Jens Olsen the Flink was extremely light despite it looking so heavy and that it handled extremely well. Jens told me that Gustav Flink also developed an automatic transmission years before Husky.

albrid-3

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 06:27:29 pm »
That is one ugly bike Flink. THe engine a copied of a Husqvarna and frame, the ignition look more like a villiers. but very interesting.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:34:05 pm by albrid-3 »

mx250

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 06:44:52 pm »
That is one ugly bike Flink. THe engine a copied of a Husqvarna and frame, the ignition look more like a villiers. but very interesting.

Ugly??? Marty Tripes site ages it as a '62 model - it looks aesthetically and technically light years in front of any other knobby bitzy MXer of that period. Even compares well for '68.

firko

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 07:48:12 pm »
THe engine a copied of a Husqvarna and frame,
Surely you're taking the piss Dave. ???..How do you associate the Flink frame with a bloody Husky or a Greeves (I can't understand exactly which one you mean)?  I've never seen anything remotely like the Flink, the closest I've seen is a Hagon and it's still vastly different. The black Flink actually does have a Husky engine but I'm buggered if I can see any resemblence between the engine in the blue bike and that of a Husky.
The black bike is 1962, the blue one 1968. They might be ugly but they're pretty unique to my way of thinking. By the way Dave, I told Geoff Ballard you were going to use him for traction. He smiled. ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:50:29 pm by firko »

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 08:18:37 pm »
The yellow card says:
Gustav Flink, Aamaal, Sweden, most famous as a producer of power-up parts for Husqvarna Silverpilen (Silver Arrow). Produced his own engine, and in the end a complete motorcycle. The constuction is not like anything......blitzflash...... fueltank integrated in the frame. The exhaust is also a part of the frame, the volume is calculated, even the footpegbrackets is volume-calculated. Only made in a small number. Owner Bengt Karlstrom, Sala, Sweden.

Probably some spelling errors as english nor swedish is my native language, but the contents are correct.

Flink made a lot of tune-up parts for Husqvarna before the factory went in heavily in MX, but the bikes is wery rare.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 09:00:28 am »
What are you talking about all-bird that black one is flinkin' gorgeous. ;D
Alloy or steel ?

Phil

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 11:08:23 am »
Ugly? The black one is gorgeous. The blue one could do with a better resto. I cant see any resemblence to a Husky or a Greaves Allbid. Were we having a little drinky at the time?

DR

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 11:28:08 am »
even the footpegbrackets is volume-calculated

good to see the footpegs got a mention..a very neglected item in near any discussion :P except when posted on this forum ;D