Author Topic: early days, You may see yourself  (Read 72535 times)

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: early days, You may see yourself
« Reply #315 on: February 19, 2011, 07:39:26 PM »
    I seen him blitz the field on a CCM-around 73-74' at Dungog nsw, never forget it, it was unreal, big crossed up mono's up the staircase ;)

Offline GOOF

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 18, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
This pic was taken a Wallan at the Rahier meeting there, 15th of November 1975.
Who are these guys?
PS. I don't know either!

No 16 is Chris Kane
                    NO #171  is Kevin Brennan,  used to go to all the races with his grandfather !

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 11, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
He mainly rode maico`s, but in 1976 he rode Yamaha OW 400

Its Per Klitland but I think the OW was in 75.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 11, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
This pic was taken a Wallan at the Rahier meeting there, 15th of November 1975.
Who are these guys?
PS. I don't know either!

#717 was Doug Leech from memory

No 16 is Chris Kane
                    NO #171  is Kevin Brennan,  used to go to all the races with his grandfather !

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2011, 06:28:44 PM »

Caston Rahier on this works 125, up against 400cc
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:30:50 PM by 33M »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 11, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »

Caston Rahier on this works 125, up against 400cc

Steve Cramer , Vic Allen ,Ivan Miller,Rahier, Klitland ,G Flood,Adams , B is Italian guy? and Robin Bailey

Offline roostinu

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 15, 2011, 11:46:56 PM »
Wish the Qvmx club would look at these photos and understand these old bikes can do jumps and survive. They had to race on mx tracks back in the day,  should stay that way I reckon. But that's just my opinion :o

« Reply #322 on: April 16, 2011, 08:14:33 AM »
Problem always is the fact that the guys that peddled these around back then are now between 50 and 60 years old. The old bodies can't take it. Also the fact that the tracks are on paddocks so there are no man made obstacles. I also think that a majority of vmxer's weren't racers back in the day. They were more the trail riders and don't like jumps.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 16, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »
Problem always is the fact that the guys that peddled these around back then are now between 50 and 60 years old. The old bodies can't take it. Also the fact that the tracks are on paddocks so there are no man made obstacles. I also think that a majority of vmxer's weren't racers back in the day. They were more the trail riders and don't like jumps.
You got it right in the last line.. a lot of VMX'ers were never motocross riders and don't really know what a motocross track is or was like in the day and they bitch as soon as a track has some bumps or a jump or 2 on it.
I'd be quite happy to see the tracks have a few more jumps and bumps.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 16, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
 Didn't know about jumps and bumps eh? Some of you modern softies with half a metre of suspension have missed the REAL motocross tuff guy days at places like Moorebank where gutsie riders hurtled 'round a REAL motocross track with heavy bikes with minimum suspension were often seen to be ridden to destruction. Not just blown up motors, gearboxes or bent-up steel wheels but broken frames. cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 16, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
Didn't know about jumps and bumps eh? Some of you modern softies with half a metre of suspension have missed the REAL motocross tuff guy days at places like Moorebank where gutsie riders hurtled 'round a REAL motocross track with heavy bikes with minimum suspension were often seen to be ridden to destruction. Not just blown up motors, gearboxes or bent-up steel wheels but broken frames. cheers pancho
I admire the guys who rode those bikes on tracks as rough as a modern day mx track. Some of the old footage i've seen is amazing.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 16, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »

Hey Brad , speaking for the Banana state? because its not like that down here. We go plenty a jumps and look forward to the ocassional natural terrain track for a change. :)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 16, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »
You got it right in the last line.. a lot of VMX'ers were never motocross riders and don't really know what a motocross track is or was like in the day and they bitch as soon as a track has some bumps or a jump or 2 on it.

You may be right, but I think a lot of guys (like myself) also fall into the category of not riding much these days and so are uncomfortable with huge jumps.
The jump above at Wallan as I recall was near the end of the start straight (something that’s not allowed these days to help save the soft younguns) and was a long low jump, which would send you out a long way, but not up very high.
Modern jumps are the opposite, shorter and steeper, they send you up high but not out very far making for harder landings.

I have a liking myself for natural terrain tracks as they are usually for fun to ride and don’t mind jumps that are long and low.
Modern type tracks with their steep style jumps don’t do anything for me these days but I can understand how someone that rides a lot wouldn’t mind them.

It’s not the jumps that scare me, it’s the landings :o
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 16, 2011, 10:28:41 AM »
you guys who race for sheep sations should go and ride your "hard" mx tracks - they are around - and just stop whinging about the others (whom I think might surprise you by filling the majority) who like to have some fun and still go to work on Monday.  Geez  - this has to go on an on doesn't it?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 16, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »
you guys who race for sheep sations should go and ride your "hard" mx tracks - they are around - and just stop whinging about the others (whom I think might surprise you by filling the majority) who like to have some fun and still go to work on Monday.  Geez  - this has to go on an on doesn't it?
Who said we race for sheep stations? I'm saying we ride tracks with no jumps or bumps and if anything a larger amount of people go flatout because the tracks are so easy.
At the end of the day we're all in it for the fun. and have to work on monday :)