Author Topic: Get well soon  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Get well soon
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:56:05 pm »
Now I know many people keep their health issues quiet, but as has been noted elsewhere there's a few forum members or their family members experiencing health issues right now. I thought it'd be interesting to start a topic where people can recount their current problems, good news stories, or just plain strange medical experiences. A lot of us are getting into that time of life when things start to go wrong and maybe by sharing experiences and offering a word of encouragement we can make the load lighter. You can be as serious as you like or just tell us how weird something was that happened to you.

For me, the big thing in my world is that my wife Jan was diagnosed a couple of years ago with a desmoid tumour of the left hip. By the time it was identified it was too big for surgery (or at least, the surgery needed would involve losing a leg from the hip down). Luckily it's not a malignant sort of tumour, but these things tend to just grow and grow over time. They cause pain, reduced function, and can eventually impact on other structures nearby. There is no clear treatment beyond surgery. So she's had a tough time of it, especially given she had a breast cancer scare as well. Yesterday we saw the oncologist and there's a new treatment which is proving reasonably good in that it has worked more often than other treatments and so we've started on this. It's not even all that expensive, so with any sort of luck, she may just get it under control in a year or two. This is great news and she is much happier today than she has been for a while, which is really nice to see. So it's fingers crossed that this stuff works in our case.

The other medical experience is much more amusing than it is serious. At Christmas time I took very ill - in a lot of pain and vomiting. Diagnosis showed a large kidney stone in my ureter, which is the tube from the kidney to the bladder. I went into hospital and they pushed the stone back into the kidney and inserted a stent (a plastic tube that goes into the ureter to help drain the kidney). I was to return in 6 weeks to see if they could get the stone out. Turns out these stents are fine, except they can be uncomfortable, especially after exercise.

Now, no-one warned me just what that meant. Here's some advice for anyone in the same boat. Drink LOTS of water. Keeping the kidney and bladder well hydrated is essential for easing the discomfort caused by the stent. I didn't know this up front, so the first stent really hurt. I raced a HEAVEN event and by the end of the day I was crook. Peeing blood and feeling very unwell. But once I worked out the water thing, it was much better and riding was possible as long as I didn't push it too hard. As you know, I even managed to ride at CD6 and although not so good on the big track with all the bumps I still had plenty of fun.

I had the stone lasered in February, but they couldn't get it out, so another stent and back to hospital a couple of months later for another go. This time, they couldn't actually see anything, so another stent and wait to get a scan. As I had passed some fragments during this time, there was a thought that maybe it was all gone. The scan showed otherwise - I still had two large fragments.

So... what to do. I wasn't too keen on more hospital visits. If you've never had this done before you won't know what happens, but basically they stick a thin flexible tube up your old fella and use that to look around and so on. This is also how the laser gets in there and how they pull the stone out. If you can imagine how it feels after you've had someone doing that for an hour or so, you'll understand my reticence.

The first time was the best cos I just didn't know. My first pee after I came out of surgery was eye opening, and it didn't get any better. It's like passing molten lead. Blood, bits of flesh/blood clot, and a searing pain. All good stuff. I walked like a crippled crab for about three days, and the contortions in the loo were amazing! But of course that eases and by day 4 you are pretty fine again.

But I didn't want that again if it was of no use, so the doctor and I agreed to get the stent removed and see what happens - maybe the remaining bits would pass naturally. The bit I didn't like was the removing the stent thing. Previously this had been done under general anaesthetic, this time it was just in his rooms under a local.

So, when the day came, I was a bit apprehensive. What would it feel like to get the cytoscope up the old fella? How about when he pulled the stent out? Hmmm.... Anyways, bravely I walked in and used my gruff blokey voice to say I was all set to go. They sent me in to a room where I had to lie down with my feet in stirrups and this nurse walks up and says she is going to inject some anaesthetic jelly. Now I hadn't known quite how the local would work, now I knew. She basically grabbed my willy and inserted a syringe and squeezed in the jelly. WTF! Lucky they HADN'T told me about that part. Even more amusingly, after that she got out the second syringe - it needs two loads. Fork OFF!

OK, we got through that (I had no choice, did I?), so now I lie back with my willy full of jelly and wait. Eventually the doc appears and away we go. They put up a screen so I can't see but that doesn't really help - you just know what's going on down there. Helpfully he gave me a running commentary. "OK, here's the scope going in. Bit of pressure now to get it there. Hmmm... More pressure, gotta get through the prostate. Now, this will get uncomfortable, I have to inflate the baldder with fluid. This will feel funny, I have the stent and am removing it now"... and so on. Gee thanks for that.

To be honest, it didn't hurt at all, but it did feel weird, and it was uncomfortable. But it was over real quick, maybe 5 minutes.

The good bit is that later that evening, I peed out a large fragment, so now I have no stent, and only one stone to go. Life has become a whole lot nicer. I am feeling good, I can ride properly again, I might be rid of the stones entirely soon, and even betterer, we have a solid treatment plan for Jan.

So that's my experiences. The advice I'll offer is this:

Always drink lots of water. Your urine should always be clear. If it gets yellow and murky, you need to drink. Lots.
Kidney stones hurt a lot. Avoid them.
If you have stones and you can get painkillers, go for panadeine Forte and Indocid suppositories. This combo works a treat.
Stents are OK, but you need to keep everything hydrated. Drink lots of water.
Having things inserted where you don't want them to go is OK, worrying about it is much worse than the reality.
If you have a desmoid tumour, give me a yell. We know plenty about these very rare tumours.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: Get well soon
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
The fact that you can look at this in a light hearted way a positive thing, I felt ups and downs as I read it.

My prostate troubles seem minor and I can look on the light side of it now. I had the cytoscope, but under a general anaesthetic thank god. And peeing afterwards, funny now but you wonder just how intense the pain will get before the flow starts!

I may one day need surgery but for now medication keeps things under control. Gone (thankfully) are the times of wondering if I could complete a full race with out needing a pee.

You have my greatest respect for being able to see positives in bad times and my heart goes out to you both for the pain and suffering you’ve had to face.

I wish you and your family all the very best

Brent

PS I’m off to get a glass of water
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:23:54 pm »
What can I say? You sidecar loonies have it all worked out. And yes, beer apparently does help prevent kidney stones. Some of its components help dissolve the little buggers. So, drink lots of water, AND beer...  ;D

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:15:29 pm »
HEY BRENT J ,  Have you seen the fastest indian movie that kiwi had the same prob may need some american indian crushed up bones
                  for a cure ;)but on a serous note i to have had a prostate worry on my self with the extra  weeing thing but got it checked out  ;)it was all ok
                  i got a shock when the DOC gave me a check up and i got the big FINGER FORKEN HELL DOC DIDNT COUNT ON THAT :o :o

Offline brent j

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 03:23:31 pm »
It's amazing just how big a relatively small looking finger feels eh.

Don't think I could ever be gay

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 03:41:55 pm »
dr vmx at your service ;D walter

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »
mabee we can book you all in at cd7

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 03:50:50 pm »
Good to see  paul can see the funny side of things hope all gos well for you and your wife, (LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE) :D :D

firko

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 05:23:32 pm »
Having lost a mate to prostate cancer and seeing another good old mate go through the pain and psychological distress of having radical prostate surgery I can't emphasise enough just how important it is to have yours checked out. Mines a bit iffy but I'm lucky I got it checked before it was beyond help. I can also identify with Graemes kidney stone problems. Because I'm on some pretty severe anti inflamatories for my dicky ankle, the side effect is a build up of calcium residue which manifests itself as kidney stones. Luckily mine are much smaller than Graemes and I've so far managed to piss them all out. I've kept them in a little jar and I reckon I'll have enough to make a nice necklace for my true love pretty soon. I've got 19 at last count.

Women reckon there's no pain like childbirth and I've no way of knowing if that's right but I reckon I've suffered the Holy Trinity of man pain, gall stones, kidney stones and the big daddy of 'em all severe gout. I ended up having to call an ambulance at two in the morning with my last gout attack three years ago. I was in hospital for 3 days it was that severe. Now that I've turned my lifestyle around and avoid the triggers (shellfish, tomatoes, fortified wine)) the gouts a thing of the past. I had my gall bladder removed in 1983 so that's not a bother any more so all that's left is those pesky kidney stones. With a bit of luck I'll soon have my ankle fused which will hopefully mean I can give up the anti inflammatories and pain killers which should mean no more pissing rocks.

Reading back over the above it seems that I'm a bit of a mess but the more weight I lose, the more exercise I get, the healthier I'm getting. I haven't had a cold for 5 years, have 140/70 blood pressure 4.5 cholestorol and perfect blood sugar so as soon as I get rid of another 30kg, I'll be a dangerous old 60 year old. Now if only I could grow some hair ;D

Rosco400

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 05:49:00 pm »
Now if only I could grow some hair ;D

Like the worlds fastest Indians ground up crushed dogs balls, I have heard rubbing Chook poo on your head is good for hair growth.  THe only problem is how do you stop the chook scratching your head as you try to put it on :o :D

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 05:51:06 pm »
greame good luck to you and the cook. few people can avoid all of lifes nasties and i hope things keep improving for you two. i too am a survivor having had  radical prostate surgery about 15 years ago. i was 1 of the first of the new wave of radical surgery procedures after they had previously decided it was to dangerous an op. however after 10 months recovery period i have survived well. if anyone goes in nowdays they're up and about in a week! if anyone has any questions about it please feel free to ask me face to face and i will tell everything i know.cheers wally cox
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 06:32:38 pm »
Hey Firko - What are you worried about? You have a fine head of head, it's just that as we get older it grows more out of your ears and nose than anywhere else!

On the prostate bizzo - What is worse? A finger up your date or a date on a memorial plaque. PSA and the occassional bit of discomfort is nothing.

And boys and girls watch your DIET and get PLENTY of exercise and sexercise !!!

Speaking of exercise.....

Dave Mac  :D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 07:08:56 pm »
Prostate cancer seems to be the flavour or the month,
I'm 49, :o
Last October (just by accident, they were actually looking for something else and took a PSA reading )
I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer,
I had A radical prostatectomy on January 5 2009,
Six weeks later I rode in the Jack Hogg Coastal Classic, ;D
I 'm still not 100%  recovered and may still need some Radio therapy but I'm travelling pretty well,
Modern methods and a good surgeon Have made things a lot better,
You think the finger up the bums bad, wait till you get the biopsy. worse than the surgery as they do it
with out a general anesthetic, whats worse is you get to hear the next bloke go through it while your  in recovery ::)
early detection is a must as the killer is if this stuff spreads out side the prostate,
I'm told bone cancer is not much fun,
As Graeme says get well soon every body
 It seems alot of us suffer in silence,
cheers
Noel
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:10:59 pm by Noel »

worms

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 07:42:58 pm »
ok ok ok , great picture you paint Graham, all the best to your wife though.

lets start with spinal injury at coles creek two years back, off to Hospital i go. oh no you cant move mate you have to have a caffiter, you do, in comes nurse and says right, while my darling looks on, yep and a running commentry as it goes, very funny NOT. and then the drugs kick in, and i'm on the Jerry Springer show and i find out my wifes a lesbian, get me off these f--king drugs! or where can i get them nurse.

next bout i scratch my arm on a ride one day, you know one of those nasty hill climbs, anyway it gets infected about 2 weeks later, swells up like a watermelon, back to hospital back on those same drugs, but this time their serious, draw a line on my upper arm, if it goes past there mate, sorry you loose the arm, pump me full of drugs again, taken nearly a year to get over what they shoved in me, but ive still got the arm, just as well too, thats my drinkling arm and i would be no good at playing dead ants in the pub without it, hey there's a thought dead ants comp at CD7, yeah i'm on to something

Cheers trev

Offline brent j

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 07:54:53 pm »
The comments on prostates brings home how common these problems are.
When I turned 40 my doctor (of 12 years) told me I need a physical and full set of blood tests every year.
Thank god I took his advice and through this found my prostate problem is not cancer. BUT while waiting for the verdict I certainly took stock of what matters.

I hated the greasy finger but I'll gladly have it again if it means keeping ahead of what could develop.

Brent