Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 3502 times)

Offline monte34

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Insurance
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:23:57 pm »
Unfortunately I have found something wrong with this great country of ours. Recently my wife renewed our contents insurance and asked of several companies whether they insure off road and unregistered motorcycles. A couple said yes, up to a 125cc limit as they were considered to be recreational. My wife chose one of these and took up a policy. All good so far.
Two weeks ago we had a break in to the garage and a JR80 and CR125 were stolen and some boots. Both bikes were late model and the possible reasons why or how this happened have been on our minds since then. We may never know how the thieving bastards knew exactly how to get to the bikes but that is beside the point.
Off to the insurance company with our claim and the result was a sum total of $1000 for the bikes less the excess of $500. Great. The small print in the booklet provided after taking out the policy confirmed the companies position even though our understanding was a lot different, and in fact if they had stolen 20 bikes the payout would still have been $1000. This would also have been the case if there had been a fire. Funnily enough they paid out the full amount for the boots which were new.
I am not starting this to have a winge about insurance but rather to ask what do others do to try and cover their substantial investment in unregistered motor vehicles, there has to be a better outcome for people like us who enjoy new and old bikes or cars for that matter.
Rob

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:05:23 pm »
Shannons do laid up cover, which seems very good - in very non-technical talk, it covers the bikes virtually any time they're NOT being ridden.
Dearer than adding them to the home and contents policy, but a lot cheaper than normal motor-vehicle insurance.

I can't remember the exact figures, but to cover 30 bikes with a total value of $40k was going to cost me <$1000/annum.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:14:28 pm »
$10K agreed value with Shannons (as Nathan says for any time they are not being ridden - even on the back of a trailer) costs me $12.95 per month.  Never had to claim though so dont know what sort of wringer you would need to go through.

cheers
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

STW996

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:26:26 pm »
$10K agreed value with Shannons (as Nathan says for any time they are not being ridden - even on the back of a trailer) costs me $12.95 per month.  Never had to claim though so dont know what sort of wringer you would need to go through.

cheers
Interesting guys as I have contact Shannons several times re this and each time they tell me the same thing, 150.00 per bike and only if it is in a alarmed shed? (so not in trailer or at meetings) I do have (already) 3 cars and my home insurance with them (so around 3K worth)??

Shane

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:39:25 pm »
Are you definitely asking for Laid Up cover?

The general rumour mill says that Shannons aren't far better than most when it comes to making a claim.

A friend has his rally car comprehensively covered with them, and he got run into by an un-insured driver recently. So far they've given him no grief (although he hasn't gotten any money yet).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:37:59 pm »
try this guy direct - it is who I spoke to.  I don't think there is anything special here just he has been my contact since I started dealing with Shannons.  Oh just checking my emails - $12.45 for $12K coverage  ;D

cheers

Rossco

MERCER, Andrew [[email protected]]
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 01:38:06 pm »
Surely there are people here have made claims with different companies.

How about some input - I have more than a passing interest in this topic and am curious.

Cheers

Dave Mac  ;D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 01:47:05 pm »
try this guy direct - it is who I spoke to.  I don't think there is anything special here just he has been my contact since I started dealing with Shannons.  Oh just checking my emails - $12.45 for $12K coverage  ;D

cheers

Rossco

MERCER, Andrew [[email protected]]

sent him an email today to see what the quote might be for my mini collection
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 02:11:24 pm »
i have had no problems with Shannons when claiming for accident damaged road registered bikes
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

211kawasaki

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 03:26:56 pm »
My experience with Shannons has been great, sold a bike and didnt notify them for 3 months and they back dated the alteration to then, saved me some money, I have 8 bikes with them and the house and couldnt be happier.

Its good peace of mind.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 06:56:54 pm »
I have heard people say that when they have approached SHannons to insure a VMX bike they have been told that they need some other form of insurance with them to qualify ie house, car etc or whatever they cover.  This isn't true - I have my bike and thats it - all piece of mind for the price of 2 pints per month.

best of luck.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:15 pm »
I have heard people say that when they have approached SHannons to insure a VMX bike they have been told that they need some other form of insurance with them to qualify ie house, car etc or whatever they cover.  This isn't true - I have my bike and thats it - all piece of mind for the price of 2 pints per month.

best of luck.

Rossco

Just imagine how fit you'd be without those 2 pints!!
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250