Author Topic: Best / coolest bike at CD6  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Best / coolest bike at CD6
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:49:42 pm »
At CD6, a topic that I heard discussed in a number of different places was, what was the best / coolest bike at the event ? It is really hard to get a consensus on this, because of varying preferences with makes & eras . After thinking about it, my choice would have to be the ex Brad Lackey SR500 Kawasaki '80 model works bike . It is a pretty tall order for any of the many fantastic bikes at CD6 to be judged as cooler than a bike with the racing credentials of finishing 2nd in the '80 500GP MX series (and also being one of only a few ever made).

oldfart

Re: Best / coolest bike at CD6
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:02:21 pm »
Only 3 parts off that bike went into production ....front guard - rear guard - ???

Offline floberts

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 03:22:02 pm »
I have to agree, those two SR500s were the stand outs for me.

Who owns those beasts?
Ben

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 03:43:25 pm »
I think that the owner prefers to remain anonymous. But it is great that he brings them out for everyone to look at .

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 08:44:53 pm »
All the way, did he fire one up at all...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 09:42:58 pm »
Its hard to beat a works bike for the title of "coolest" - any thing that can beat two of them is pretty special...

Cookie's Ossa Phantom GP2 was f$%king amazing, and his MAR and SDR are both very, very close behind. Truth be known, they might even be better, but I will be forever blinded by the beauty of the Phantom.
In terms of quality of workmanship, I reckon they were THE bikes of the event - whether that elevates them above the works Kawis in terms of coolness, is a seperate question that I'm not all that interested in.

Mainline's YZ125F is also note-worthy. For a bike built to be raced, and by a novice bike restorer, it is well above average.
The YZ400D and 76 KX400 of the Parkes boys also get a tip of the hat for the same reasons.

Edit: Mr Smith's GP3 also had me drooling. However, I later observed the legendary Mr Smith slowness aboard his Beta and his KX. If I'd seen the Ossa treated so poorly, I'd have felt compelled to demand a ride - just to clear the plug, y'know. :D ;)

Edit 2: Brett, Not that I saw. Apparently the owner isn't a rider at all (at least not in the context of VMX racing and/or works bikes). For a very brief moment, I felt ripped off. But then I got a grip, and realised how awesome it was to be able to even see the bikes in question, and that being able to touch them was a very rare privilge.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:49:15 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 10:50:49 pm »
Yes Nathan, A privilage indeed, Old green machines are few and far, but being a works bike -amazing stuff. If fellows like you or i owned it, we would always be at war with ourselves weeather to ride it or not?
Cheers Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Paddles

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:21:38 am »
if the ossa nathan is refering to is the one next door to yz250h's campsite, then i agree, it was a work of art. it's a tough choice though, there were so many good bikes.

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 09:04:51 am »
At the risk of being called a bike tart  ;D I like these 2. Darcy ;)
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning