Author Topic: Tip #2 from old forum - buy yourself a plating kit  (Read 4207 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Tip #2 from old forum - buy yourself a plating kit
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:40:41 pm »
I remember this Topic from the old forum.  After reading the old thread I bought a JaneKits kit and have been plating madly, but some time the results I get are not totally up to scratch or the results are mixed.  Can we please have the brains trust give us some of their knowledge about these things for the whole world to benefit from.  I know a lot of it is experimentation, but maybe the more experinced guys have some tips for the newbies.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Doc

Re: Tip #2 from old forum - buy yourself a plating kit
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:49:32 pm »
no brains trust here  :-\ whilst I've plated oodles of bits I too get mixed results. Usually my poor results come from surface contamination and or using a well used/contaminated solution. The later is pretty easy to distinguish because of a duller and sometimes almost yellow finish. The item doesn't 'fizz' like it once did (very technical terminology) when lowered into the tank or you get unplated areas. I feel all my problems I've had come back to me..1 for not replacing the electrolyte  and 2 for not keeping everything scrupulously clean. Still happy with the kit although I haven't used it for 6 months or more because the novelty of plating at home soon wore off after about the 3 hundredth spoke ::)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:27:23 pm »
I found that after (alot) of plating I was getting pretty consistent good results.
I got into a plan each time. New copper wire for hanging each job - every time, seems to be a good practice. CLEAN everything. 'clean' takes on a whole new meaning! Pure water as much as possible. Make sure the nickel bath is HOT. Keep your bloody fingers off everything as much as possible. Make sure you don't overload the bath with too much stuff - I always find that hard to fight :-) oh and did I mention CLEAN?

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:11:48 pm »
Thanks Luke,
I've been wondering for a while where to get the wire from.  Is MIG wire Ok to use or is it coated in something.
My electrolyte is still pretty new, but I have got soem great reults on things like bolts, but crap on very think items.
I think I may have been guilty of overcrowding the bath as well  :-[ :-[

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 10:33:08 am »
where did you get the kit from
MUGEN power

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 10:56:04 am »
http://www.janekits.com.au/mainframe.php
Cheap as chips. 
Oldfart put together his own and his results are great.
You'll need a wire wheel for the grinder (you've probably got that already), distilled water and a stack of different size tupperware containers from your missus/mothers/grannies tuperware collection.  Oldfart uses buckets from mayonaise or caviar  :P or something.
The instructions from the kit are pretty good.  I was just looking for some tips from the more experienced guys as they have been doing it longer than me.  Doc and Oldfart offered some great info last time.  I was inspired to buy one after reading the same thread on the old forum.
In the photo the cam, bolt, pin and cable connection have all been replated - you can see the results.  there is a white film on the cam, but that should wipe off with a bit of Brasso.

That's the good.  I will post some photos of the bad and the ugly later.
Questions that come to mind are how long to leave in cleaning solution, how long to leave in Hydochloric acid if at all.
Have to admit to re-using the wire a few times.  That may explain a few things.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:34:07 am »
Doc's tip on 'fizzing' is good - if it isn't fizzing at all after a minute or five, that's an easy sign; I immediately switch to new copper wire hangers as my first action. If it still isn't fizzing, you probably haven't got it clean and you're going to see it good in spots and nothing elsewhere. If it's got acne, it's probably crud in your mix. If everything else is good, you probably need to pull all the bits out and try one at a time, not ten :-)

One other thing I do every few months is to wire-wheel the anodes to get them shiny and new again. Don't just take them out and dump in a drawer or whatever. Make sure you rinse them off and keep them clean too. Of course, do NOT leave them lying in the mix for days.

Wire-wheel it, degrease it, rinse it. Don't overdo the hydrochloric etc. a 1/2 hour or so is probably enough (depending on state), so keep an eye on things. and make sure you rinse it all off and have it utterly clean before you drop it in... and keep your mits off it!!! when you pull it out, don't touch anything. Just hang 'em up and walk away. Especially zinc... you grab at it (it's hard to fight the tempation!) and a lovely black smudge appears from your finger oils and you'll howl...

Did I mention CLEAN? ...  

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »
Bump     "Here you go Mark "

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:57:58 pm »
Gents I have had a ZINC  Jane kit for about 18mth.

Started out hit and miss. But now have my process right and get really good results almost 100% of the time.

1. Start with degrease of bits
2. Wire wheel
3. Drop in Hydrocloric Acid and water mix - zinc will fizz off like mad - let it go a bit longer to be sure.
4. Pick out with plastic coated tongs and rinse off in rain water - always new stuff
5. Wire wheel again
6. Copper wire up fairly firmly with brand new lengths of wire every time - get old wire from electrical mate and strip it as I need it.
7. Wire wheel the alloy bars the work is hung over.
8. Clean the clips
9. Dip part in acid again by hanging off copper wire.
10 Rinse in the same rain water
11. Have the zinc plates handing and completely submerged in the electrolite stuff - and not touching the bottom.
12. Hang the work on th middle bar and turn the unit on but not have the dial turned up at all. Then slowly and carefull turn the jibbers up so the smallest amount of bubbles start to form around the copper wire - I end up with about 3 to 4mm in diameter of bubbles - not 20mm which indicates too much jibbers and results in a rough dull finish - almost like hot dipped gal. I also us a bit of brightner from time to time.

Yes don't touch chemically clean metal with your mits.

Yes when the solution startds to form some slim in it I now strain through an old clean t shirt henging into a plastic and stainless steel mesh food strainer from the local asian grocer.

My biggest issue at the start was too much Jibbers.

I have spoken to the young bloke who has taken over the Jane business and he is keen to get involved in VMX people and plating.

Ta Pete
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 04:59:46 pm by Husabergpete »
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:18:03 pm »
Great tips there Pete.  You can't go wrong with those  8)