Author Topic: Conon Dale #6  (Read 3663 times)

Ji Gantor

Conon Dale #6
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:58:02 am »
We rolled into Green Park at about 2.00pm on Friday afternoon with our horsepower float packed to the hay tray. It had been raining for some time and there were pools of water and islands of green grass for camping.

We pulled up on a level patch of grass on the left hand side of the main road. Due to the rain Peter Bell allowed us to set up camp where we were and the unpacking began. By about 4.00pm the tent was up and the generator was powering the microwave oven for the first of our hot meals.

After we were settled TM Bill and his lovely wife came over from their camper van and introduced themselves. We felt at home with such great neighbours.

At 7.00pm we started walking around meeting all the GOB's.
They certainly know how to party.

By about 9.30pm we went to bed, tired by all the intense activities this day had brought.
At 10.00pm a camper van pulled up beside us. Very quietly the occupants had dinner and went to bed.

The next morning we were greeted by a heavy fog and our new neighbours, Geoff Ballard and Laurie Alderton.

Not only are these two men legends on a bike but are really cool to be around. Laurie has more stories than you could listen to in a month and Geoff's desire to tune a bike left me feeling like I did not know which way to ride my Maico.

Ji
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:44:38 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

Re: Conon Dale #6
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:10:08 am »
Saturday morning was cool and I needed no more of an example of this, than the lens on my camera was condensing badly and I had to warm it up before I could take any images.

The day warmed as the sun finally jumped over the hills and aged gum trees to burn off the fog and dry the shimmering dew.

Ji 

Ji Gantor

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:22:35 am »
By about my second cup of Milo Good friend Ron turned up and set up behind us.
The first thing he did was to take his Bultaco Matador over to Don Newell's gazebo so it could be part of his stand. Ron then unloaded his Sherpa T and played with a pile of rope he brought to give away.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:34:47 am »
On the Monday morning before packing up we took the Matador down to the trials track and took a few pics.

Ron was pretty happy to see his old bike which he purchased new from Don Newell back in the day gracing Conondale one more time.

Don thanked Ron for allowing him to show the bike off on his stand.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:06:15 pm »
As bacon and eggs sizzled in the pan Laurie and Geoff prepared the two Maicos Geoff had found in his shed at home. The spanners came out and the work began.
First the fuel tap was left on, on one of the bikes and the crankcase and cylinder was full of fuel so we removed the spark plug and turn the bike upside down. About one litre of fuel poured out before Geoff had a chance to kick her into life.
The Maico 490 fired and Geoff spun off for a test ride.
Laurie walked up the track to see him ride.
I had not even had the chance to clean the fuel off my hands and Geoff was back in.
Geoff "The front brake is locking every time I go over a jump"
We tried adjusting it but nothing seem to work, by this time Laurie had made his way back to camp and told us that the cable was stuck behind the front number plate so we moved it and the problem was solved.
One kick from Geoff and out he went again.
This time I found a rag and wiped the filth from my hands before Geoff pushed the bike back in under the awning. Geoff "It now has an electrical fault"
The spark plug was removed and looked fine. Geoff looked up at the coil and saw that the main power feed wire had come off, so he pushed it back on and out he went again.
Laurie by this time was getting tired of walking to the track just to walk straight back so he said "I think I will wait here for a bit this time"
Sure enough Geoff pushed the Maico back within a few minutes.
Geoff "This time the carbie fell off"
Laurie rummaged through a box and pulled out 2 rubber bands and said "This will fix it" "You know that problem cost me an ISD, if only I knew about the rubber band trick"
Again one kick and Geoff flogged off.

This time Geoff stayed out and the bike ran well. That was great news as the legends were about to go out on the track.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:11:39 pm »
As Geoff casually chatted during the legends interviews it would be hard to image the problems we had sorted out on his bike. Never once did he get mad or upset and actually he was very relaxed as the bike got the love it wanted. During all the dramas in the pits Geoff had well wishers and old friends popping in and wanting to talk and Geoff like the legend he is just kept working on the bike, laughing at every joke and shook every hand. He really is a great guy.

Ji
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:32:16 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:24:11 pm »
On Sunday I finally had enough time to grab a camera and head over to Drunks Hill jump and click off a few snaps of Geoff doing battle with Steven Gall.
On Sunday Steven was the fastest.
On Saturday Glen Bell was on fire.
Glen was landing Drunks Hill jump two bike lengths in front of where Geoff is in the attached image.
His landing pad was the rut camera side of the track. We called it "Glen's rut"

Ji
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:31:31 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:48:02 pm »
On Monday I pushed Miss CZ over to Drunks Hill jump to get a few last minute snaps of her.
Behind my CZ is the up ramp for Drunk's.
Where my CZ is, is where the ramp agressively angles up.
As can be seen it is a big ramp.
This jump will be used, I guess during the Nationals.
Oh yeah Geoff Ballard told me that he loved CD6 so much he is coming up to ride at the nationals.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:08:27 pm »
Drunk's jump will be used for Pre 78 and up I believe.
This jump requires the rider to be able to rotate the bike in the air so it will land correctly.
You don't want to lean back or the front wheel will loop out, and if you come up short you don't want to land front wheel first.

Craig Anderson over rotated on the jump a few years back right in front of me during a practise sesson.
The image was taken back in the pits just before his race started. He was in a lot of pain.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 01:24:17 pm »
On Sunday I started searching for different lines on all the jumps.
Most of the time on Drunk's I went up the ramp on the left side but on Sunday I tried the right side.
I am not sure if you can see it from this image but a braking rut or lip had formed on the right hand side of the jump. This lip really upset the bike my first time over it. Make sure your front wheel does not wheel stand over the lip or you will endo ( this is just my opinion).
Some riders tapped the rear brake in the air while others were just getting over the handle bars to trim the bike.

Ji
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:25:54 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 06:16:41 pm »
After lunch on Saturday I went for a walk through the pits to meet new friends and see new bikes.
I came across a small trailer with 5 bikes piled in it. 4 CZs and 1 Can Am.
1 of the CZs was a twin pipe, all excited I started taking pictures. From behind I heard a dark voice say "Which one would you like" I turned to see a tent. I said "Are you a magic tent that will grant my CZ wish"
But the voice just replied "No I own them bikes"
I asked the tent "Would you sell the twin pipe CZ"
But alas the tent mumbled "Only if I get another to replace it"
Just then Brad 090 turned up and started talking to the tent, it was then I knew I had to offer something really rare if I was to stay in the negotiations. Oh forget it I thought I spoke "Brad get lost I was here first"
Brad chuckled and said "He won't sell you one I already asked him"
With this said the tent opened and a gent walked out.
I continued to offer all sorts of things but this fellow would not budge. So I did the only thing a gentleman can do, I started to work on his wife.

Ji

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »
so what happened  ji did brad use his good looks to get the deal done .i know he would off tried very hard for that one  lol

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 06:53:13 pm »
Ah, that's VMX legend and CZ nut, John Boag. Don't judge the book by its cover - he's quick on these old bikes, no matter how rough they look.

He's a top bloke - I spoke to him a bit at CD5, but at CD6 I had the pleasure of spending quite a bit of time talking to him, Cookie (he of the awesome Ossas), YZ250H (he of the vulnerable esky), and Fay (Boagy's wife) on Sunday night.

One of the highlights of my weekend.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 07:54:04 pm »
Hi Paul,
Not even Brad's boyish looks helped.
I even suggested to Brad that we purchase the bike together and take turns riding it but even when we pooled our money it still did not sway this fellow.

I kept hearing "NO DEAL"

Ji of the one pipe

Ji Gantor

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 08:13:24 pm »
Steven and Anthony in their original Pepsi jerseys at the "Meet the legends"
Can anyone see where Don Newell had his stand?

Ji
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:15:15 pm by Ji Gantor »