Author Topic: CD6 free for all  (Read 48432 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: CD6 free for all
« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2009, 08:41:04 pm »
TM Bill is a bike tart.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 13, 2009, 10:04:01 pm »
TM Bill is a bike tart.
so is my brother and his mate Chris.
thanks for the pics Dj.
i'll forward the ones of my bikes with the forementioned biketarts onto them.
for two blokes that only just became aware of the CD format and "old bikes", my brother and his mate had an absolute ball all weekend riding the old dungers as they both are used to their modern CRF450's, yet both came in, smiles wide as, each time they'd been out for a spin. they bludged the odd ride and were offered seat time on other guys bikes, then sunday morning, they were first dressed {with no bikes of thier own on site!} signed up to ride the Suzuki demo bikes.
it was great so see two guys get the most out of thier Classic Dirt experience.
very cool 8)
"flat bickie"

chris cormack #30

« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2009, 07:46:27 am »
Hello everyone,I've just got back from CD6 and a couple of days R&R on Gold coast and can say it was totally worth the  3894 kms on the ute's odometer.It was great to catch up with all my old NSW &QLD mates and make several new ones at a venue that I can only describe as breathtaking.A special thanks to Suzuki Australia,VMX Magazine and the Sunshine Coast MCC for their brilliant organisation. I'd also like to thank Ribbo,Hilly,Bahnsy,Dave Russell and QVMX for helping me fix the "air hammer" on Saturday.And lastly thank you to Bruce Mac,Gonzo,Stephen Gall,co-pilot Harry and the Kenilworth Hotel!    CD 7 at Conondale ?  Count me in.               Regards,  Chris Cormack-happy mexican.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2009, 09:16:10 am »
Got up this morning to listen in to the live audio from the US MX at High Point and was sitting thinking it's a whole week since CD7. This time a week ago I was wandering around checking out bikes, drinking coffee from the coffee guy and just taking in the whole scene. And there was still more riding to do...

I don't mind where CD7 ends up, but I'd love to ride Conondale again. My kidney probs left me unable to really go fast on the big track, but I still did some laps and had a ball, and the small track being without bumps suited me fine so I got in a whole bunch of time there (wish someone had a photo - I think I actually remembered to have my elbows up!).

I remember feeling especially good driving up from Landsborough on Friday morning - these were all roads I used to ride on my roadbike back in the 80s and it was great to be there again. Add in the scenery, the warm sun, and the knowledge that we'd soon be at Conondale, and well... it just doesn't come any better.

The drive home just slipped by as we spent half the time talking about it all or just remembering.

Yep, it was really something special. And now all these great stories and photos on the forum to keep the memories going. They sure made me feel better when I checked them out during lunch breaks last week. It was such a come down to find myself driving a desk in Canberra's cold again.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2009, 08:12:24 am »
What a treat it was seeing Peter Ploen ride again. First & last time I saw him ride was at the huge Trans Tasman meet at Nerang in 74. Awesome track & every OZ MXer was there along w quite a few Kiwis.

Does anyone remember it?

For me three riders stood out that day - the Flood bros for their sheer speed & bravado off the huge downhill jumps, & Peter Ploen for his radical cornering style. The corner speed he maintained on the RN just blew me away. Lay it over, flick it round & pull the trigger. Never saw anyone corner like him.

Even last Sat, to see how early he got on the power coming out of corners (like all champs) was a treat. Seemed strange seeing him on a Maico, but every time I saw him on the bike he had a huge smile.

Would have been nice to see Gunter on an RM370 or even 75 RH (w a bit of suspension travel) instead of the 74 RH, but I ain't complaining.  What a day it was!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:13:54 am by JC »

firko

« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2009, 02:47:19 pm »
Here's a final few odd photos of the Kevlar Kompound at CD6. Because we all live in either Sydney or NZ we entrusted the logistics of setting up the kompound to our Queensland based mate, Paul Chippendale. Chippy and his amazing family did a stellar job in not only organising the marquee, BBQ and all the small things that make a home away from home livable but also went overboard to make it all so seemless, despite a heavy business schedule and some family illness issues. All of us "Good 'Ol Boys (thanks Ross, we love the name :-*) are indebted to Paul and his great family. Big kudos also go to Ken, Alistair and Jeff for their belief in the CD concept and hard work all weekend. Believe me when I say that none of CD6 would have happened if it wasn't for those three blokes. Thanks must also go to Suzuki Australia and their belief in and support of Classic Dirt. I had a yarn with the Suzuki staff and they were ecstatic at the roll up and enthusiasm of the vintage population. Thanks must also go to what I believe to be the most efficient and happy club I've seen in recent times, the Sunshine Coast M/C. Their enthusiasm, profesionalism and no bullshit approach to the event ranged from preparing four outstanding courses to making sure the showers were hot and the toots had plenty of toilet paper. Kudos also to the local service providers, especially the Conondale school PC for operating a great canteen with great food at a reasonable price. When I asked them if I could borrow some dishwashing detergent to wash my chili pots, the ladies insisted on washing them for me. Too cool.
Lastly, thanks to all of the old and new friends who dropped by the Kompound throughout the weekend either for a feed, a beer or a good old fashioned yarn. There are way too many of you to mention each individually but you made a bunch of old fart Kevlars very proud to be a part of the VMX community. There was nary a negative word or shit sling thrown all weekend. Thanks also to those who travelled long distances to be a part of the event, especially our Kiwi friends Mike Jolley (attending his sixth CD!) TM Bill and the lovely Valeria and DJ and the equally sweet birthday girl Karen. I know there were more Kiwis but my memory of their names is drowned in a sea of Kozel, sorry folks!

Ray Ryan was a genius on many levels but the Classic Dirt concept is his legacy to our movement. I honestly believe that the Classic Dirt concept will become an international phenonemon over the next few years just as Ray envisioned. We couldn't give a flying f#*k where CD7 is held next year. All we know is that we'll be there with as much enthusiasm and sense of fun as we have for the last six. Bring it on.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2009, 04:58:45 pm »
Very well spoken FIRKO  ;) I to had a great weekend at CD6,I caught up with some of my fellow country men TMBILL,OLDFART,JOHN TATE and DJ nice guys
it was my second CD and i cant wait till the next one :) anyway nationals next cant wait  8)

firko

« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2009, 05:28:48 pm »
Betric has asked me to post some shots from his CD6 experience. There's a few so I'll dribble them out over the evening or tomorrow.

A drunken and still bewildered Magoo test rides Betrics renta-bike.

Firko describes the day he almost beat Matt Daley to Husky Pete and the legendary Mr Daley himself

Legends all. Mark Pace, Magoo and the MC for CD6 the Fabulous Dancin' Macca.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:37:16 pm by firko »

firko

« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2009, 05:38:17 pm »
It was great to see Klub Kevlars own Mel Gibson rise above his recent marriage split and jet over for a little Margarita action in the Kompound, a few laps on Black Betty and a quick scoot through the swapmeet looking for parts for his Maico project. He picked up a tidy early frame and some donkey grips before helicoptering out at sparrow fart on Sunday morning.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »
JC i was at that Trans Tasman race in Nerang. I was still at school and lived just over the hill from the track and walked to the race. The best aussies and kiwis were there and i remember a great battle between Moss Smith and Trever Flood both YZ360b mounted and Ploen on an RN400. Whatever happened to Moss Smith.. any kiwis remember him?

firko

« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2009, 10:27:30 pm »

Gally gets pumped to ride Betrics YZ80.

Curly watches Anthony Gunter saddle up for another burl.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2009, 08:22:29 am »
Just a few more pics

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2009, 08:23:58 am »
Mk 9 Pursang

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2009, 08:25:48 am »
Very nice 125 Maico

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2009, 06:28:30 pm »
I wouldn't think that there would be very many Mugen 390's in Australia.