Author Topic: Yamaha RT2  (Read 17669 times)

Mark Austin

Yamaha RT2
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:36:23 pm »
Hi lads,

I've got the RT2 finished and ready to register. I'll post some photos in the next few days.

I have a small issue. I have the ignition mounted under the tank as per a RT1, as I haven't been able to find a correct RT2 ignition and there are a couple of strange things happening. All the wiring and ignition works except for the following:

1. The ignition is on all the time. I.e. if you turn the key to off, you can still start it.
2. The tail light is always on when I turn the ignition to the middle setting.

The lights work when you turn the ignition all the way up.

Any ideas what may be wrong? I'd like to be able to turn the key off and not be able to start the bike...

Cheers,
Mark.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha RT2
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:46:47 am »
G'day Mark,

I am assuming the wiring connections are all correct (may pay to double check if you havn't already) and is the ignition switch in good condition or is it possible it has shorted out contacts (or is it the correct one for this model/wiring loom)?

check it out with a multimeter. also do you have a wiring diagram?

you may or may not remmber me, i met you and had a chat at CD4 in the "Corporate VIP" VIPER tent , we talked about Honda's and your smick red Guzzi.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:18:19 am by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 09:29:22 am »
If all is well and correct  Mark you should be able to pull out the ignition switch plug and start up the bike!!!! Yes not a real smart move Yamaha, but that is how they were. I will search out the correct RT2 switch with keys if possible for you. Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 11:16:32 am »
errrr sorta sounds right  :P, when you turn the key all the way lights are on,middle pos is ignition only,obviously key off pos should earth the maggy,to confirm lights on pos,you shouldn't be able to remove key from switch,(only in off pos),have a manual in shed somewhere,will check for you,cheers Mick
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 02:16:14 pm »
oops,file size too big for wiring diagram,Mark want me to send direct?,it's only a "cycleserv manual",handy if you don't have one,i guess?,cheers Mick
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Mark Austin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 04:29:40 pm »
Hi Matchomick,

All seems OK, the ignition fits to all the correct wires and the correct colours.
The bike runs and the lights and blinkers work.
Still can't turn the ignition circuit off though.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Austin

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 04:33:27 pm »
Hi Hoony,

Yep, I remember our conversation and your nice shiny red Hondas !

The mighty Guzzi was out on a run last weekend - my mate Murray on the Guzzi and me on my Bultaco Metralla. They tend to create a lot of attention those two bikes... V-Twin grunt and blue haze ring a ding.

The Guzzi got a flat and had to be taken home in the back of the ute - very undignified for the old girl.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Austin

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 04:35:37 pm »
Hi Tim,

An original RT2 ignition, one on the handlebars rather than under the tank would probably solve the problem I reckon. I'd appreciate it if you could find one.
I can't believe it was a "design feature" for Yamaha to have the engine run without the key !!!@

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Austin

Yamaha RT2 - FINISHED !
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 10:08:52 am »
Hi lads,
I thought you may like to see the results of your advice on my RT2 - its finally finished and registered.
I now only need a few things:
1. A 360 badge for the exhaust, as my nice new one fell off on its first test ride !!!%@!!!
2. New front and rear sprockets - flat out it does 80km, and boy it it noisy with a 12T front and 49T rear sprocket. Standard is 15/39, which have been ordered.
3. Later model ignition switch.

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 11:38:10 am »
Nice work  Mark its' come up well , what year is that ?.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

mx250

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:09:59 pm »
Excellent work Mark, looks kewl  8). I can just see you smoke 'em and up setting the eastern surb yuppies come greenies  :D

Found some period indicators  :). Better look out for some period Yammy grips  ::)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 02:52:27 pm »
Very sweet looking Yammie Mark. It would be a blast to ride her up and down the streets. ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 08:07:31 pm »
Excellent work, Mr Austin!  8)

At risk of sounding like a pedant (I'm not - it's a genuine question): Are they the right head-light mounts for this bike? I thought that only the very early AT/CT/DT/RT era bikes have the 2-piece (welded) brackets, and that the later ones had the one-piece brackets?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mx250

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 09:01:56 pm »
Excellent work, Mr Austin!  8)

At risk of sounding like a pedant (I'm not - it's a genuine question): Are they the right head-light mounts for this bike? I thought that only the very early AT/CT/DT/RT era bikes have the 2-piece (welded) brackets, and that the later ones had the one-piece brackets?

You thought wrong Nat......

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 12:55:09 am »
excellent job I must say - looks reaaaaaalllll good!!!

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica