Author Topic: my disappearing spark.. help!  (Read 1756 times)

Jimmy

my disappearing spark.. help!
« on: June 02, 2009, 06:38:31 pm »
I thought I'd be packed and ready for CD6 by now..

My 82 KX125 has lost its spark..  It was being tempremental, starting by pushing not kicking.  Then the spark disappeared.  After much cleaning up of wires and connectors, the spark came back.

Then, after cranking it by hand for say the 10th time, the weakening spark disappeared!  I swapped the original-looking coil with my working YZ100 one but it still didn't spark.  Dammit!

Any clues?  I'm thinking of hunting down a replacement coil but that involves a 2 hour round trip.

Thanks guys

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: my disappearing spark.. help!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 07:22:59 pm »
Just had exactly the same problem and it was the stator!, that'll be more than a two hour round trip. :-\

Jimmy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 07:34:12 pm »
Just had exactly the same problem and it was the stator!, that'll be more than a two hour round trip. :-\

Hi,  How did you work out if it was the stator?   Never having bought a stator before, is this something you can buy new or is it something you need to get re-wound?

I was really looking forward to taking the KX for its first decent ride too..

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 07:46:20 pm »
find out what the OHMS readings are supposed to be- and check stator with a multi meter ( ohms setting )

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 07:54:20 pm »
find out what the OHMS readings are supposed to be- and check stator with a multi meter ( ohms setting )

Thanks. I'll see if I can find the readings online.  I assume to check a stator you must kick it over?

cheers

DR

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:43 pm »
no not nesseccarily Jimmy, you check continuity, resistance and such without kicking it over, these specs I don't have for the kawa's but I'll hunt around also and see if I can find something useful ;)

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:18:56 pm »
no not nesseccarily Jimmy, you check continuity, resistance and such without kicking it over, these specs I don't have for the kawa's but I'll hunt around also and see if I can find something useful ;)

Thanks Doc

I've found the Resistance specs so I'll go and check these (static) later tonight.

cheers

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »
will probably be the primary coil

give these guys in QLD a ring

http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/ElectrexWorld.htm

they will probably have a coil for you

ok tell them this part number for the ignition coils on the stator - #C70 & C71 (sold as pair of coils with wires) Thats for KX125 1980-86

i also just went to the electrex site and it looks like in the UK they no longer make the pair of coils and instead sell them as a complete stator so also try just asking for this

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/st3170-ignition-stator-kawasaki-kx125-80-86-electrical-parts-for-motorcycles-electrex-world-6796-0.html

same mob in QLD can help with CDI units and HT coils for that bike.

good luck
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:34:29 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 10:10:17 pm »
will probably be the primary coil

give these guys in QLD a ring

http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/ElectrexWorld.htm

they will probably have a coil for you

ok tell them this part number for the ignition coils on the stator - #C70 & C71 (sold as pair of coils with wires) Thats for KX125 1980-86

i also just went to the electrex site and it looks like in the UK they no longer make the pair of coils and instead sell them as a complete stator so also try just asking for this

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/st3170-ignition-stator-kawasaki-kx125-80-86-electrical-parts-for-motorcycles-electrex-world-6796-0.html

same mob in QLD can help with CDI units and HT coils for that bike.

good luck

Thanks for all that

Think I've identified the black lead as the culprit.  I managed to get a moving reading that then disappeared, and now gives nothing.  So, I assume one side of the stator is not right.

What's the chance of being able to get one off the shelf from Electrex en route to CD6, fitting it and riding like Jeff Ward?  And, if so, would I also stump up for a new coil just to be safe? 

I still have my YZ100 but I was half thinking of advertising it rather than riding it.. finances are running slim!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 10:15:25 pm »
i dont know Jimmy give them a call first thing tomorrow 1800 823 818   

if you say its urgent and need it before CD6 they might be able to help and have one in stock. They are into old bikes so should understand
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 12:50:32 am »
clean all earth connections as they can cause plenty of trouble as well