Author Topic: Montesa tank needed URGENTLY !!  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Nitram

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Montesa tank needed URGENTLY !!
« on: May 31, 2009, 03:01:20 pm »
Does anyone have a spare tank for a 125 Cappra ?  Not the VA or VB, but the older 18M type 4-speed bikes- circa 1970-1972. Here's a picture of the tank, and of the kind of bike:

I've been getting mine ready to bring to CD6- complete engine and frame rebuild.  Finished yesteday and it started up nicely.  Came out this morning and all the fuel had pissed out through a million cracks.  I was going to have a go at fixing it today, but it's a massive job.  I'm sure I used to have a couple of spare 125 tanks, but ican't remember who I gave them to........... the old story !

The tank that I need has the mounting bolt in the top, just ahead of the filler cap. 
Preferrably in Sydney somewhere, so that i can come and get it a.s.a.p..

Cheers

Martin 0412 169255
email- [email protected]

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Montesa tank needed URGENTLY !!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 04:49:50 pm »
hi mate i had a tank do this 2 me i washed it out several times with thinners then warm water poured fibre glass resin into it shook it so it covered every inch off the inside of the tank let it set than done it agian...problem fixed

Offline Nitram

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:53:05 pm »

Yeah, that's a good suggestion.  I had a phone call this afternoon from Ross (AllThings414) and he suggested the same thing.  I cleaned out the tank today and have it hanging up in the lounge room drying now  ;) ;)  and I'll chase up some resin and stuff tomorrow, and give it a run tomorrow night....

Wish me luck..  :)

Thanks for your reply.

Martin   :)

runutz698

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:29:21 am »
Did it do the job??

Nutz

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:16:53 pm »
Yes. Nitram was last spotted with a big grin after several laps (that I saw) on the Monty.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:22:39 pm »
Good stuff  8)
Best is in the West !!

runutz698

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 07:05:55 pm »
Awsome I had a big grinm the only thing about a big grin and riding a bike is flies can get caught in your mouth. But sometimes you just can't help it!!

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 09:08:16 am »
Nitram's 18M w 63M motor at CD6

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 09:09:19 am »
And the other side

Offline Nitram

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 10:34:17 am »
Yeah, it worked pretty well.  Very well in fact, and the big split (up near the mounting bolt) patched up beautifully.  There was a slight weep from the rear in a spot I must have missed, but it was very slight and a small patch of 100mph tape did a nice and easy fix for the CD6 weekend. 

It was a real tribute to what a great facility this forum is.  The abovementioned call from Ross (All Things 414) came not less than 15mins after I'd posted the call for help, and the tank was useable within 24hrs or so.  Great stuff !

And I really enjoyed riding the bike and must have done about 50 million laps of the grass track at C-dale (as a novice of course.........).  Not suggesting that I'm giving up the Can-Ams or anything, but I'm looking forward to having a race with HEAVEN on the Monty later in the year.

Cheers,

Nitram