Author Topic: BSA TRIUMPH VINCENT ANYTHING  (Read 2800 times)

runutz698

BSA TRIUMPH VINCENT ANYTHING
« on: May 30, 2009, 04:24:27 pm »
Hey Guys,

Well here is how it is I am on the hunt for an old english bike of some decription for a resto project, I have just completed a montesa and now I am wanting to do a english road bike(Iknow this is a VMX fourm). I have had a look at a few on evilbay in real life with no sucess as photos always look better than the real thing.

I have contacted a few people at the birdwood mill I know to keep the ear close to the ground(As my grandfather started the Birdwoodmill and some of the orignal members still work up there) I was wondering if anyone has got anything in the corner of there shed they don't want or are never going to get around to. My only standards I have is it must be able to happily do speeds of 100-110KM as I want to use the classic so a bantam is out of the question. I am really open to anything and I am happy to look at basket cases through to rolling frames with few parts missing.

Even if you can point me to good fourms like this for that type of bike.

Any help or messaging me if you here of anything would be great!!!

Cheers
Nutz

Does anyone here remeber Jim Thurmer or Keith Hamilton???

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: BSA TRIUMPH VINCENT ANYTHING
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 05:09:06 pm »
Scruffy Vincent Black Shadow would be ideal....errr did you have a budget ????
formerly Marc.com

runutz698

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:25:12 pm »
Lol yeah a barn find one, My budget for before resto. is around 4G or under!!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 02:37:40 pm »
Thats a broad question! do you have a preferance for brand or how many cylinders? Triumph T140's are pretty popular and common. I work on those everyday pretty much. For for 4G it would be pretty scruffy and you would most likely need to spend another couple grand on it, depending on if its been used much or if you are capable of doing all the work yourself. Problem areas are Forks that need to be overhauld with new chrome legs, top end oil leaks, and hydraulic brakes that need going right through and faulty lights/switches and if its still got points, then 99% of people now stick a Boyer on it all of which usually soaks up a grand so or right there

real good ones start at about $8000
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:44:12 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 10:31:44 pm »
Lol yeah a barn find one, My budget for before resto. is around 4G or under!!

4 grand gets you a lot, I was offered decent 850 Commando the other day for $2500.... T140s etc, just shop hard and remember the economy is currently on your side. Saw mint restored early Thunderbird go for under 6 K the other day.

Make stupid offers and look out for the guys who really need the bucks, you would be mad to pay too much.
formerly Marc.com

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 10:33:33 pm »
a running road race tribsa pre unit went for 3950 3 weeks ago on ebay

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 10:51:07 pm »
thats an extremly good price for a commando if it doesnt need much doing to it, but i would like to see it to believe it. The seller obvioulsy doesnt know what they are worth or doesnt really care that much because $2500 usually gets you a real crappy one that will need lots and lots of work. really good mint ones are pulling 10 or 12 G. Im talking about Australian prices, not sure if things are different in Japan
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

runutz698

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 06:14:15 am »
Norton for 2500 I would be in that got the detais??

I like all sorts of bikes but I am leaning towards Norton/BSA/AJS sort of steering away from triumph's. I will find something but I was just really wanting people to keep there ear to the ground for me. I am cashed up and awaiting the perfect bike to show up.

Cheers
Nutz

firko

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 09:20:19 am »
Look to the USA. The prices for good Brit bikes is so much cheaper than the domestic market. A mate recently bought a really clean sixties Triumph 650 Saint in Ohio for $1000 complete with pink slip. It's here in NSW and ready for rego with only a new tyres, a tidy up and a fresh coating of Armour-All all that was needed. Another mate in California bought a Norton 650 Atlas for a similar price earlier in the year. I also saw a sweet 1960 Harley Sportster in original condition except for 6" over forks that the Aussie buyer paid a bit less than 2k for. Check out US eBay, you'd be surprised how cheap they are. Don't forget however, to factor in the shipping and taxes which essentially doubles your purchase price. With a 4kau budget you should pick up a good Trumpy, Norton or BSA twin.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:36:02 am by firko »

runutz698

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 12:45:00 pm »
Firko is there anyone you could reccomend to do the shiping and taxes as I no nothing about importing bikes when they need to be reged??

runutz698

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:51:02 pm »
Also thought about buying a frame and building the bike over time, would I have any problems with reg once finshed?? Does anyone know?? If so you need to make sure the frame you buy has been reged in AUS??? Has anyone here done it. I have built 2 bikes in this fashion and found it to be a good way to go as I am not buying someone else problems then once built I know it is done spot on, But I have never done a road bike so never done the whole RTA thing here in VIC.

Cheers
Tom

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 01:00:25 pm »
Norton for 2500 I would be in that got the detais??

I think NZ has a better selection of old Pommy stuff grinding about.....the one below is bargain

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-219623746.htm

formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 01:26:50 pm »
Gee Marc, I looked through the classic section didn't see too many bargains, even allowing for the ex rate. Their prices seem to be holding up quite well and on par with Oz, and thats before transport etc etc.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
Gee Marc, I looked through the classic section didn't see too many bargains, even allowing for the ex rate. Their prices seem to be holding up quite well and on par with Oz, and thats before transport etc etc.

like the barn fresh $2500 Commando....you have to get the real deals you have leave the ole PC and do some leg work. The Commando was actually running quite well, but the owner had disappeared to OZ owing his brother and the cops some cash.

I remember an article in Classic Bike after the editor had bought a new Harley FXDX "imagine the fastest best handling Norton you have ever ridden and double it"  ;D

formerly Marc.com