Author Topic: Just a few more sleeps...  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Just a few more sleeps...
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:16:19 am »
OK, so it's just one week to go and I'll be on the road, towing dirtbikes and heading for Queensland and CD6. As an ex-Queenslander I always enjoy getting back home and this time around I'll be doing the Classic Dirt thing just a couple of hours from my 'home'. During the 70s and 80s, I rode all over the Maleny Ranges/Sunshine Coast area on my roadbike, and spent plenty of hours bashing through the firetrails in Wide Bay, as well as Pony Express, Enduro and Dirt Track races throughout SE Qld. So for me, this is a Classic Dirt that has a special meaning.

Mix in the fact that the last 12 months have been a period in life I'd rather forget, and well... I am really hanging out to do a big road trip, meet old mates, check out old dirtbikes, and do some ridin. I'd be lucky to have done 10 hours riding in the past year, so to be able to cruise around a nice big grasstrack with a bunch of other old bike fans will be a blast. Fingers crossed for some of that lovely Qld winter weather.

Man, the drive up will be brilliant. Just me and Gezza with no thoughts of responsibilities, talking bikes all the way. Stopping for fuel and nibblies and just soaking up that whole road trip vibe. Yep, it don't come much better'n that, now does it? Well, yes it does, cos at the end of the drive are 3 days of being a big kid with more toys and friends than you can poke a stick at.

I can't say how much of a big thank you I owe Ken, Ajay and Jeff and whoever else is involved in keeping the Classic Dirt thing going. I reckon this year's event will be huge. There's a whole lot of people in Qld that haven't been to a Classic Dirt, so I hope everyone has been putting the word out and we end up with a vintage dirtbike event to beat them all.

Bring it on huh?

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
Re: Just a few more sleeps...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:46:23 am »
Good thoughts Graeme.I've got a bit of a reverse thing happening to you in that I grew up in Canberra,moved around a bit and have ended up here on the Sunshine Coast.Like you and many others I am really looking forward to this event as it will be my first.Have a safe and enjoyable trip and I hope we can have a beer and ride together when you get here!!!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:59:30 pm »
Yep, this year I'd like to try and actually note who I am sharing the track with. It's much more fun if you know that the guy next to you or ahead of you or whatever is actually someone you've seen on the forum. Last year was so muddy I didn't actually see anyone else on the track! To be honest I was so white knuckled and focused on the ground in front of me (what style!) that I wasn't even really aware that there were even people watching...

What I really want to do is try to get a sort of Team Vintage Suzuki thing happening where us old RM riders front up at a riding session all together and take over the track. Take that, you Honda nancy boys will be the cry.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:06:51 pm »
Just been browsing the forecast/outlook for SE QLD for the next week. Hmmm.... Cloudy and showery with a trough etc expected to bring some moderate falls inland. Hope that all clears off by the end of the week. I'll be watching that with an eagle eye, I'm pretty much over the whole riding in the mud thing. Last ride I went on a few weeks back needed a solid fortnight of cleaning to remove all the crap. I love mud riding, but it is a real hassle to clean up afterwards. And with the last two CDs being wet, we are definitely due for a nice fine one.

I have such great memories of CD1 & 2 - perfect weather. Maybe I am a bit of a girls blouse, but CD1 especially was for me the pick of them so far. They have all been great, and even the last two were fantastic in spite of (perhaps even in some ways because of) the weather. But 1 was a real blowout. The first ever such event, the big rollup of old bikes I han't seen for years, the huge swapmeet, the superb weather, etc.

Unless it completely buckets down, I'll be there and enjoy CD6. But it'll be so much nicer if the weather is kind. Fingers crossed...

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 03:23:58 pm »
Hey Graeme

I hope it's not muddy too.  Aside from messing up my shiny new plastics, I'm yet to actually ride my bike since I've bought it.  With my current time restraints (kids!) I'll still be working on it mid next week.

I'd hate to be the only bloke who breaks down, or the only one who has something fall off his bike as he ambles past.

Actually, I might prefer it to be muddy; then no-one will notice my poor workmanship and mis-matched bolt heads!

Jim

STW996

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 03:31:09 pm »
Graeme, All looking good weather wise (so they say) for the next 2 weeks, we had the big wet 2 weeks back so the gound should be primed.

Make sure you call in at what I am now calling club Wiltec we have the BMC transporter again 36 square meters of quick shade and have just finished off our post and chain area, all I need is the security guard and where set ;D ;D

Shane
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:33:27 pm by STW996 »

DR

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 04:02:10 pm »
Jim don't worry about bikes not running 100% breaking down and/or bits falling off..this is a vintage event and Murphy's Law applies in full. Can't remember the last time I rode where I rode all day and nuthin' went wrong..jeez, how boring!! :D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 04:15:10 pm »
Hey Shane that sounds great. If I remember right Club Wiltec looked pretty cool last year - I spent a while leaving fingerprints all over those bikes! And nice to hear the weather looks like it might co-operate. I've been talking to all my relos in SEQ and FNQ and they are pretty much rined out!

And I'm with Doc Jimmy. Believe me, if there's one constant at any Classic Dirt, it is that there's more than a few bikes that need a helping hand to keep on the track!

Your point re the mud is true though. My RM125 used to have a nice paintjob, but modern nylons and braces and plenty of mud events mean it's got a nice polished alloy knee patch on each side of the tank...

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 04:28:22 pm »
I only have three words to say to you lot

JEALOUS, JEALOUS, JEALOUS :'(

Seriously guys, have a ball for me as well

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 05:17:51 pm »
Unfortunately no Walter, everything this year is pretty much out for me.
I may just be able to make the XT/TT500 muster in November. If I can swing that one I'll drop in and see if you are there. My wife wants to check out the stained glass/leadldight shops and general shopping in Adelaide

My mate from here is going to the Nats, another kiwi called Brent. He's racing a Yamaha YZ250D in pre 78.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

All Things 414

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 05:25:23 pm »
I'll mind the fort whilst you're all gone. Make sure nobody gets up to any shaningans. First bit of trouble and I'll wrestle 'em out the door. Maico Girl's on night shift..... ;)

husky61

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 06:15:14 pm »
This is our Third year as one of the proud sponsors of Classic Dirt and we would like to take this opportunity thank Ken , AJ and Jeff for keeping this great concept alive , providing us all with this fabulous opportunity to meet , show off our bikes , sell our junk , have great ride ,catch up with our mates and probably most importantly a nice environment to chill and just let your hair down(so to speak). Oh and lets not forget for providing a super publication. Both of which are no doubt very difficult tasks.

Now :Make sure you call in at the Club Husky Compound , we will be near the Club Kevlar and Club Wiltec Compounds.

See the Engineered Environments and Husky signs ,see some real bikes , see some real nice bikes, marvel at the Husqvarna automatics , marvel at the technology , Say hello to some real life Husqvarna tragics , come on in and say hello.

Drop in have a chat , have a beer , have a cocktail , have a nice time. Come talk some swede with us , we wont understand you but hey knock yourself out.

All good ol boys welcome ,  ::) everyones welcome to drop by , Magoo may be there at some stage , dont worry he's our security, a closet husky fanatic and he loves free beer.

We also have some commemorative tranfers for sale with the proceeds going to the Cancer Council

Come on and join in the fun

Shoey

Husky tragic , Supporter of the West tigers and Vintage moto X

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 06:48:02 pm »
shane you dont need a security guard for hondas ::)
come on now :-*
but team husky and team holeshot
thats a different story 8) ;D
follow me to first turn

worms

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 06:57:38 pm »
shoey, your Husky's are one of the nicest machines i have ever ridden, had the privalage of riding one at CD4 and loved it.

cheers Trev( just sucking up for another ride really) :D

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 07:10:12 pm »
Shane, my fencing will be stolen plastic tape and four star pickets!! Looking forward to the week end,but the only bugger is i have been called up for jury duty.I think i will have to say,"Your Honour i have a VERY important meeting this Friday" Well hope to see plenty of old farts on old bikes.Cheers Tony