Author Topic: CD6 Organisers,  (Read 4989 times)

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
CD6 Organisers,
« on: May 25, 2009, 04:36:21 pm »
Is there any interest in trying to dig up some other past riders in particular Qld based but obviously all would and,should be welcomed,to offer them an invitation to CD6 there's a lot of great riders and stories out there that are over looked these days and would be very entertaining,and it would be good to see some of these older guys make an appearance from all previous era's just a thought and there's a good chance somebody knows somebody that was involved from years gone by I personally have not been to a CD before and will be attending my first,it just seems like am ideal time to try and bring these guys together,some of of them would not be aware that this event actually exist if they are no longer involved,What are your guys thoughts.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: CD6 Organisers,
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 04:54:01 pm »
Hey Number 8,
Based on the programme that I have just done the following riders should be putting in an appearance for the Legends Laps:

Anthony Gunter, Stephen Gall, Geoff Ballard, Porky Eldridge, Laurie Alderton, Geoff Udy, Chris Dixon, David Armstrong, Andrew Bailey, Peter Melton and Mark Pace.

And lastly, it is a distinct possibility that legendary Kiwi Peter Ploen could be in attendance. Heres hoping, I saw him in NZ last year and he is still WFO/sideways everywhere and still with that great smile.

And there could be others who haven't confirmed yet. Spread the word, the more the merrier!!
Looking good,
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:26:15 pm »
They are all great riders and You have a ton of other great riders and relevent people that are worthy and are real handy,These are just a handfull that come to mind,Peter Boyle,John Walmsley,Stan Venstra,Sam Kendall,Steve Dinsdale,John Hand,Graham Sword,Dave Burns,Don Newell,Vern Grayson,Tommy Gibson,Matt Daly,I believe John Harrison the original Husqvarna Importer for Australia,was/is on the Gold Coast,and at one stage Ivan Miller was on the Gold Coast?I am sure Johhny O could add quite a few more than I can remember,lets have some input

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:47:42 pm »
brian flemming will be there
and glen bell should make an appearance
a lot of guys might just even turn up
for a look  don and vern will probably go
be good to see them on a bike
havnt seen vern ride for a while

cheers rusty ;D
follow me to first turn

firko

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 11:23:11 pm »
We've been trying to get Vern Grayson and the famous Cheney Triumph to come out and will give him another ring tomorrow. Per Klitland usually comes with us but he's unable to come this year. Not sure about Jens Olsen either.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:53 am »
Thats great to here of those names,an official shout out/salute to those guys would be in the spirit of the event I would think,

firko

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:29:03 pm »
We've been doing that since the event started #8. Meeting the old fast guys is one of the highlights of the Classic Dirt concept.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 03:30:33 pm »
Saw John Hand and Stevy Dinsdale last weekend at the Gum Valley Round of the Aust MX Nationals. John owns the track and is very supportive of the vintage movement. He contacted me about a vintage bike display to be in the "trade" alley at the MX. We took along a 250 BSA, 250 Greeves, 125 Wassesl, 71'400 Square barrel maico, 74 SC500 Yammie and an early 80 500cc Suzy sidecar from the Mackay and Moranbah boys. Had a great day getting both lots of interst and many younguns pointing and laughing (Gen Y what can I say!) I assisted John re-start up the track with a club a few years back and as we wanted to make it inclusive and not dominated by the fluro set it is officailly named the Gum Valley Natural Terrain and Veterans MX Club. John is very intersted at some time in holding either a Qld or Aust Championships and would provide an excellent track and camping facilities. John's son Michael is doing very well at Enduros while Steven's boy Joel it right up amongst it in the 85s but both of those plus Sugar cane related work are taking up their fair share of time. Both would have been probably really intersted if we gave them an invite with plenty of time to prganise. perhaps a thought for next time. Last I saw of Handy on Sunday was whizzing off home on the boys 250 totally sideways with the front end crossed up in the air. shows that all skills don't diminish after quite a few amber cordials.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 04:53:31 pm »
Rosco86,

I have raced at Gum Valley back in the day and its one of the better tracks thats for sure ,the point that I was trying to make originally was based on how a lot of different disciplines both here and overseas do seem to have a lot more interest in there past riders/racers,and the events that are put on to give them a salute are great and it would be good to see a similar thing evolve here for former scramble/motocross racers,hell even dirt trackers for that matter,an invite to guys like you mentioned and others would be pretty well received I would have thought?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 05:21:08 pm »
Hey Number 8,
I think everybody is saying the same thing. Yes, it is always fun to have past racers and personalities at VMX events.

As for CD6, Ken casts his net as wide as he can, but realistically he only knows so many riders [and our 47 researchers and assistants are always busy catering to his incessant demands to be of much help]. So if anybody else is in contact with other riders/racers/personalities that we have not mentioned, by all means contact them and invite them along. The more the merrier.

If the network pulls together who knows how many past greats might attend.

So if you know of a past great who isn't aware of CD6, give them a call and pass on the details. Make sure you tell them that they will be more than welcome.

As I said, don't be shy, make the calls and let's see how many you can dig up!!
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:45:41 pm »
Vmx24,

Thats fine,however there is a difference between a bloke ringing up a friend/mate and saying it's on you would be welcome,and an invite from the actual organizers of the event,and from a promotional aspect every bit could help,As an example do think when the "Brad Lackey" invitational was on the organizers just told a few blokes to ring a few mates?

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 05:57:47 pm »
Hi Number 8 - Jeff has chipped in with some worthwhile ideas and I'll chime in with another.  As Jeff mentioned, I don't have the phone numbers or addresses of every rider you mentioned.  If you do, then please give them to me either by phone on 02 9452 1444 or via PM and NEXT year I'll do all I can to get them along.  Asking them a week out from the event just doesn't seem all that professional to me.  If anyone can get them along to this year anyway, then well and good and of course they will be welcomed with open arms.

Regards

Ken Smith
VMX Magazine

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 06:15:02 pm »
Ken,

While I don't personally have the phone numbers of each of the people I have mentioned,It sounds like a great idea to perhaps plan for the next one with a reasonable lead up I am sure a healthy turn out of past competitors would be possible and a real tribute to receive an official invite to the "Legends Laps"

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 06:31:22 pm »
TM Bill,

Are you refering to me with that comment?

husky61

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 07:08:57 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D