Author Topic: "So that's where my parcel went.."  (Read 3605 times)

Jimmy

"So that's where my parcel went.."
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:15:28 PM »

I ordered a full set of plastics from the US recently.  It appears the easiest wasy to pay was with Paypal so the company sent me an invoice.  I emailed them my shipping address and then paid via Paypal (a fair bit too!) and sat back, dreaming of shiny plastics, and Danni Minnogue..

Fast forward and when nothing arrived by this weekend I requested a copy of the shipping docket.  They managed to send it, addressed to my eBay username (instead of my name) and to my old address in Sydney, six hours away!

I checked my Paypal and I've somehow managed to have two addresses, the correct one linked to my Visa card and an old wrong one listed as my Postal address.  I think I'm going to go postal!

Please please, let the plastics be there when I phone the Sydney post office.. :-\

DR

Re: "So that's where my parcel went.."
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »
Jimmy, I had a nice pair of RL250 forks, nos TM400 brake backing plates, a couple of nos goldbelts and some other bits I can't remember sent over by a friend in the US many moons ago. I waited and waited and waited and nothing, I asked at the post office and nothing. 10 weeks later I get an email from my friend saying the forks were back at their place.  Why??..simply because there wasn't a post code and it was easier for AuPost to send them back rather then look for a postcode. There is only 1 'Nundah' in all of Australia so why couldn't they simply look it up. In the end the people shifted my forks got lost and parts got lost and while the sender was at fault the main gripe I have is why didn't aust. post simply write the postcode on the parcel and forward it on. I reckon someone was laughing their heads off knowing full well I'd already paid over $100 postage and it would cost another hundred to get it right. I still hate the fact I paid the $100 postage, the forks were here in oz but were then sent all the way back to the US for no cost to anyone except me. Shite happens but there's normally an asshole involved ;) :D 

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:52:51 PM »
I had the same problem with my paypal account where some Phantom bits went to an old postal address...... finally got 'em after 6 months, they had crossed the Atlantic so many times they had started to rust.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »
so i guess the moral of the story is to make sure the shipping address on your paypal account is up to date and delete any old address' you no longer live at ;)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »
Hi Jimmy.  I have a business that ships plastics nationally.  We are gladly surprised (mostly) when items are found at another regional/burban post office.  Make a few phone calls,  you might just get lucky)

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »
I made a purchase on ebay about 3 weeks ago.  I thought I'd done the right thing when i moved by changing the postal address on ebay first.  For some reason, the parcel was not sent there, but to my old home address, which I had neglected to change straight away.  Aust Post is still playing musical chairs with transferring the article to my choice of local post offices - it's been sent back to my old home address once again,  and the vendor, who sent the article very promptly, still has no feedback from me after nearly 4 weeks.  The moral of the story, is - keep your info up to date.

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »
Thanks guys

I assumed I wasn't the only one to wait for bits that are heading someplace else..

I would feel better if we didn't have a courier company here in our country town which is run by  someone for whom looking in the room where the things arrive is just far too much trouble.  The same local courier company who don't call or deliver when things do arrive, you simply have to know they're coming and then drop in!

Love that quote about shite.  

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 08:18:46 AM »
All post is not bad. I have a small buisness & we have a PO Box. We also tell everyone to send our personal stuff there as well. Somtimes people address stuff to our home address but the clever lady at the post office will always put it into our PO box for us. I cant remember the last time we had anything turn up at home or work that was normal post.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:33:07 AM »
I send nearly everthing either COD or Registered Post. For international parcels I send them insured.

COD & Registered Post have a $100.00 insurance as standard but its really the tracking number that you want.
Registerd post costs $2.75

International I insure for $200.00 which costs around $10.00.

I sent a heap of stuff to the UK earlier this year that didn't arrive. It was worth way more than $200.00. The guy e-mailed me for details so I checked it through the number. Turns out the parcel had visited the USA for a while but had eventually made it to his local Post Office, but they didn't bother to tell him it was there. It was saved through the tracking number.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Jimmy

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »

After much detective work, and extensive praying to the God of MX, I actually found my plastics, and now have them safely tucked away in the garage... 

Now I just need to work up the courage to drill the bolt holes on my shiny plastics.  Hope things line up!

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 02:37:51 PM »
Sounds like a bit of a "nightmare"! I love a story with a happy ending,cheers mate :D

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 06:20:23 PM »
...the forks were back at their place.  Why??..simply because there wasn't a post code and it was easier for AuPost to send them back rather then look for a postcode.
Can we assume they don't bother looking for correct postcodes coz they get too many articles which are missing postcodes - on a daily basis?
And sometimes the Postal Workers get it wrong in trying to be helpful.

I live in the northern Gold Coast and my street and 'suburb' names are the same (though it's actually a bit too rural to be a suburb...).
Anyway, there's an identically named street and suburb in North Brisbane - and that has made for some cock-ups over the years. 
I've had mail arrive late and the story is obvious. My correct postcode has been scribbled over and the North Brisbane postcode written above it.
Then, after arriving in the wrong street someone else has scribbled out the Brissie postcode - and re-written my original and correct postcode... ::)

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »
...the forks were back at their place.  Why??..simply because there wasn't a post code and it was easier for AuPost to send them back rather then look for a postcode.
Can we assume they don't bother looking for correct postcodes coz they get too many articles which are missing postcodes - on a daily basis?
And sometimes the Postal Workers get it wrong in trying to be helpful.

I live in the northern Gold Coast and my street and 'suburb' names are the same (though it's actually a bit too rural to be a suburb...).
Anyway, there's an identically named street and suburb in North Brisbane - and that has made for some cock-ups over the years. 
I've had mail arrive late and the story is obvious. My correct postcode has been scribbled over and the North Brisbane postcode written above it.
Then, after arriving in the wrong street someone else has scribbled out the Brissie postcode - and re-written my original and correct postcode... ::)

Hi

I now live on a property in NSW called 'Nevada' so I'm lucky my US-sent parcel didn't head off there!

The thing that saved my parcel was the 'Track & Trace' online service through the US Post Office.  It's unreal, and this allowed me to show the Aus Post people here that yes, the parcel was in fact right here in your post office..  Once you convinced them they had it they would manage to find it.

Mind you, it was hand addressed in bad writing.  And, if it had my phone number on it then a Postie worker could have called me.   Still can't believe it turned up.

cheers

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 03:56:44 AM »
Took nearly 2 months, but a clutch cover arrived. Sender had put 7 instead of 1 for the address, but FFS, the same guy delivers a stream of stuff to me every week for years and has a total blackout.

Yet another box of motorcycle parts. tick.
Addressed to Luke as always. tick.
I am 3 houses away from incredibly obvious addressing error. FAIL.
Return to base.

now back when I was a lad...

MC

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 05:29:43 AM »
Never ever had an issue with post out of the US, had a piston kit out of Texas landed in NZ 2 days after payment, only had 50 odd trades on ebay and can't complain.
"BUT" have had very very slow delivery out of Aus, don't know why but it takes twice as long to get packages fron Aus to NZ than from the states to here, is it the rotation of the earth, or is it true australian postal workers are due a bonus if they break into a sweat.

You do have to make sure the delivery details are correct, and yes sadly postal workers don't seem to have any common sence.

cheers MC