Author Topic: budget bikes?  (Read 62993 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: budget bikes?
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2009, 11:03:58 pm »
your right mark i was getting mixed up with b44s and victors
cheers
jim

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2009, 11:05:14 pm »
yes still pre 65 leagle only 750 and up arnt leagle
cheers
jim

firko

« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2009, 11:08:57 pm »

ok i was thinking of the Unit daytona motor from early 70's
It's the same engine.
say no to all the above as they are trying to worm their way in via the 'follow on rule' which i dont agree with or like

a 71 motor is a 71 motor so not pre 65 and i can tell you there are changes right through the 650 Unit constuction motors. They are not all exactly the same the same

same thing for the 74 triumph 500 triumph - pre 65 legal - no way
67 BSA army 350  - No.

TR5T - you mean the 500 unit single triumph twin motor in BSA B50 frame (Adventurer) pre 65 legal- i think definitely not but pre 75 for sure!
This is just the pedantic reason that the pre 65 class is all forked up.
i

walloway

« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2009, 11:11:49 pm »
ah some more good country  We have done the Oodnadatta Track and been across to Morgan twice for sidecar events.What bike do you usually ride ?

Would you believe a Moto Guzzi Quota, all 250 kgs of it . Rode up to Finke last year ,Marree,Oodna, Mt Dare , top ride .

Bsa Bantam D7 175 3 speed from 1959, about 10 hp.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2009, 11:16:43 pm »
ah some more good country  We have done the Oodnadatta Track and been across to Morgan twice for sidecar events.What bike do you usually ride ?
Would you believe a Moto Guzzi Quota, all 250 kgs of it . Rode up to Finke last year ,Marree,Oodna, Mt Dare , top ride .
Bsa Bantam D7 175 3 speed from 1959, about 10 hp.
WOW- couldn't out run a camel with that  ;D  ;D

here's a budget bike buy.... 8)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-223609882.htm
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:18:26 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

walloway

« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2009, 11:33:52 pm »

WOW- couldn't out run a camel with that  ;D  ;D

What, the Quota or the Beeza ;D

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:38:19 pm by walloway »

firko

« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2009, 12:08:51 am »
wouldnt mind having a pre 65 class bike but i reckon it would have to be something japanese, dont know what choices there are in that department
I reckon the best Japanese pre 65 choice is the CB72/CB77 Honda range. The engine is as solid as a rock, can be used in either 180 or 360 degree configuration, all sorts of great speed equipment can be found for them including modern ignitions (Chinese)and modern style short skirt pistons. They can easily be enlarged from 305 to 350 or even bored and stroked to a full 500. Frame wise you could use a CL Honda original with some gusseting or perhaps a Sprite, bolt up Husky or Cotton frame or any of the class legal Metisse or Cheney range. Betor/CZ or Ceriani forks/Bully wheels and a bit of lateral thinking and you've got a good solid and reasonably cheap little racer. Remember that these engines were good enough for Billy Snellings Honda to win Classic Daytona a few years ago against Manx Nortons and G50 Matchys. I've got a 305 half completed in a Cotton frame and it would be a good thing if I ever decide to complete it.

As far as my earlier quote re: the "spirit of the era class" Michael has once again twisted my meaning to suit his argument. I have never said I was referring to the pre 65 class. It was just reporting the result of a conversation that Jonesy, Frank and a few more of the old timers who have those bikes had during CD6 attempting to find ways of prolonging the life of the class. Frank Stanborough has built a number of pre 65 bikes and road racersis one of classic racings best brains and he brought up the point that the reason the Brit, Euro and American rules are more free than ours is that they saw the drop off in competitors a decade or more ago and modified the rules to keep the class alive, hence the B44 and other like machines being allowed. It's very easy to sit back with a shed full of pukka bikes and say that the class must remain pure but it's going to be lonely for those blokes if new blood isn't introduced. It's pre 65 that's in strife today and it'll be pre 70 and pre 75 tomorrow and the next day. If something isn't done soon to keep these classes vital and alive they'll soon schrivel up and become classic dirt and half time show pony novelties.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:13:38 am by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2009, 07:34:03 am »
If something isn't done soon to keep these classes vital and alive they'll soon schrivel up and become classic dirt and half time show pony novelties.

or the 3 pre 65 bikes that turn up race a separate class at the back of the pre 70 fields and everyone looses complete interest. I think you need to rename thunderbikes and race only Triumph twins.
formerly Marc.com

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2009, 07:44:32 am »
Hey Firko.

Is this Michael bloke a regular at Aussie race meets?

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

firko

« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2009, 09:45:07 am »
Dave...Credit where credit's due...Mr Bamford is a regular racer and has been a part of the Queensland vintage motocross scene for as long as I remember. He's a decent rider, his bikes are nice and "pukka" and once you get through the uppity veneer is a decent bloke who honestly believes he's doing the sport a service with is pedantic attitude.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2009, 11:04:44 am »
I knew you would know - thanks Mark!

Pedants are generally a pain in the arse in that they are sooooooooooo prescriptive and as a result your average laconic Aussie is scared off by them.

As I said in another post that is what makes EVO so appealling with a relatively simple formula with very little bullshit that a pedant can use for an argument.

It would be great to see more of the old bikes out there but something tells me that those classes are fading which is a bloody shame. The sound of big bangers goes right through you !!!

Dave Mac  :(
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

firko

« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2009, 11:42:54 am »
Again I agree, but theres is no logic in having a class called Pre 65 if it doesn't in fact have only pre 65 bikes in it .
There you go Michael, you say it yourself. Why then don't you address the fact that a G85CS Matchless wasn't released until 1966 and your own Metisse Mk3 A frame which is noticbly different to the Mk3 wasn't released until 1965...after the December 31 1964 cutoff.

Now, I don't give a flying fork if those machines compete in pre 65, in fact I agree with and encourage them. My problem is that Mr Bamford can sit on his throne up at Pre 65 Central and dictate that other FLOW ON bikes like the B44 and Cheney aren't allowed when the criteria that excludes them isn't used for his own bikes frame which is in fact a post 1965 design and the G85CS Matchy engine and complete bike which didn't exist in 1965 let alone 1964. What was that old chestnut about glass houses?........One more unadressed question....What are your thoughts on those Mk 8 Bultaco hubs fitted to two well known Queensland pre 1970 BSAs that we spotted at CD6? Methinks those particular bikes should be in for some strife at CD6 from Mr Bamford himself if he's so adament about strict cutoffs.
I await Mr Bamfords replies with anticipation.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2009, 12:38:11 pm »
i did some checking on T100's

T100R - 70-73
T100C - 70-71
T100T - 66-70
T100A - 59-61
T100SS-61-70
TR5T - 72-73

so if your motor is stamped T100R then i dont think it should be pre 65 legal

looking at that list, the motors that should be pre 65 legal

are

T100A 59-61
T100SS - 61-64

that honda looks interesting but it kinda has a US dirt track look about it which im not that keen on, probably because it is missing the front guard.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:43:54 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2009, 12:45:27 pm »
Hi
I had better do some more reading , where can I find out about the the Metisse Mk3 and the difference between the Mk3A, is there a reference on line ,or in print some where?
I might have to  withdraw from the pre 65 class,
cheers

firko

« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2009, 12:59:00 pm »
Leith....What makes those post 1965 Triumph engines so evil that they shouldn't be in the class? There's bugger all difference enough to matter. In fact the twin carby Daytona head is a hinderance rather than a help.

With respect mate, have you ever been to a big vintage motocross and actually seen the pre 65 class in action? Being from the vintage motocross wasteland SA I'd take a wild guess and say that you haven't. If you had you'd realise that the class would die an even quicker death than it is now if your perspective was introduced. What is it with you guys trying to make it harder to get involved in the class? I would have thought that allowing engines that are for all intended purposes identical to the pre 65 versions is a positive thing. Funny that in the countries that have allowed the rules a bit more of an open interpetation the pre 65 class is booming. Here, it's just going through the motions. That's why I'm so passionate about reviving and saving the class. It's for everyone to enjoy, not just a bunch of purist wankers.
Whatever, it doesn't matter what you think....the rulebook allows them so it's not worth arguing the point.