Author Topic: Expansion chamber cones  (Read 7271 times)

derail

Expansion chamber cones
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:23:26 pm »
Hi Guys, I am wanting to attempt to make a couple of expansion chambers and are seeking the knowledge of others in the know. Does anyone know who might roll up cones out of sheet metal and what gauge sheet metal a two stroke race bike exhaust is usually made from. Because the bike is a bit odd, (replica RT63 Suzuki -dare I say a roadracer) I have to make a custom exhaust.
Thanks, Derail

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion chamber cones
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:42:42 am »
i made a pipe from an old 44 gallon drum once. it's about 0.7mm thick and did the trick ok.
i'd do it again and soon will.
as for rolling the cones, a sheet metal shop should be able to do it for you, or if your really stuck, 0.7mm can be formed by hand around a sturdy bit of water pipe/hand rail with a rubber mallet and beer but it takes time and you'll soon wish you went to a sheetie.
"flat bickie"

DR

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 06:46:11 am »
0.80 panel steel or CR2SE or CA2SE (cold rolled) is the go.(says me of course ::)) Nice and clean, forms easily and you can near weld it with little filler wire if you get the the joints to meet nicely. Was near going to make a small hand roller for making exhaust cones but you can buy them relatively cheap. Just need to make sure the rollers can be adjusted eitherside and not both via a single adjuster. Tis simply a matter of stretching 1 side more than the other to form the cones though this may take a few passes and some trial and error depending on the metal and machine used.  Those RT63's are sweet little bikes Derail, love the little 2 smoke rotary valve multi's. 'specially when they have between 14 and 18 speed trannys to keep one's left foot busy ;D I'm sure I have a mag somewhere with a decent write up on them and some nice pics but I'll need to search the archives as I can't remember the specific mag/book in which it was published :-\
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:49:40 am by Doc »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:25:10 pm »
i made a pipe from an old 44 gallon drum once. it's about 0.7mm thick and did the trick ok.
ive seen some BIG exspansion chambers but that one must have been a sight! cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Nitram

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:42:58 pm »
I have had cones rolled in the past by a bloke named Rick Roberts in Sydney.  I send him the specs and $$,  and he rolls me the cones and puts them in the post. He does an excellent job, both in terms of the quality of the rolling, and in terms of the accuracy of the size of the finished cones.  He is a real class act, and a true gentleman, as any one who has dealt with him in the past will testify.

I havn't had one done for 12 mths or so, but his phone number used to be 9247 2685.  But don't ring him in the evenings !  Daytime only.  Say hello to him from Martin.

Cheers

Nitram

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:52:04 pm »
Contact GMC
Or
Take yourself down to local Library and find a sheet metal book and study it well  ;)
A hand roller is the go 
First up practice on cardboard making lobster back bends and cones . When you've got it sorted then have a go with sheet metal

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:37:09 pm »
No such thing as an odd two stroke, why just do what everyone else did before you and buy A Graham Bells book explains it in there pretty well.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:35:59 am »
Can be & has but you'll get no power unless they fire at same time, gets pressure pulses out of phase & hurts scavenging in a big way
Each cylinder really has to be treated as it's own unit

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 10:12:34 am »
Yes it's no problems Walter(there are some tricks though), main reason it's used is for space, most stock pipes on snowmobiles are 2 or 3 into 1.No need to have the fire at the same time as the design gets the one cylinders plugging pulse and the other gets the scavenging. A contact had to run a standard 2 into 1 on a World Championship Jet Ski class he made mod to the piston, "sent jetting to hell, but with that sorted lapped the entire field" Was pulled down several times and protested, they still have the cup.
Whats the application?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 12:27:11 pm »
Depends on what you want to happen ;D 66HP per cylinder is quite reasonable, is it all off the bottom or more top end?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 03:05:25 pm »
What configuration is the engine, twingle or 180 deg? Heaps you could do to increase drive off corners, I'll give you ring during the week..............hijack over

derail

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 10:03:48 pm »
No worries, Hijack anytime- its all good interesting info, thanks to all for the idea's and contacts

Offline ss2fly

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 10:12:00 pm »
Anyone got a contact for hand roller supplies or pics of any  that i can make?

Got to get this under way
WANTED : TM125 EXHAUST, ANY CONDITION!!!
WANTED : YAMAHA YZ250J ANY CONDITION!!!

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 07:10:08 am »

DR

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 08:19:58 am »
this is the little blighter I was looking at, a bit more compact and a much better thing for the very limited work area I have. For $175 I figured it's not worth the effort to make one but it's the lack of space that's my main problem as I don't even have room for a bead blaster :-[ it sits on the floor and gets moved from here to there and anywhere inbetween..maybe I should simply fit some castors to save the back :D