Author Topic: Cheney BSA  (Read 7029 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Cheney BSA
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:16:31 am »
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney BSA
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:44:44 am »
 rare and beautiful classic scrambles motorcycle. The legendary quality and handling of a Cheney competition scrambles frame fitted with a BSA based B44 engine with a purpose built racing Weslake 500 top end.
Now that's a awesome sale pitch in itself.

bet you $5 or a refreshing drink of liquor that it sells at that price. 8)
If not attending the Nats ,I say there would of been another piece of British Beauty added too our shed.  ;D
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:49:44 am »
This side of winning lotto I can't see myself forking out $16,000 for a BSA ;), but on rarity and collectiblity I reckon $16,000 might be close to the market (at least in good times ::)).

Time will tell. May the market decide ;) ;D.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:59:41 am »
very nice.......... oh to dream....... 8)
"flat bickie"

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:53:30 am »
These guys have been advertising it on their website for some time at $12,000. They have also brought in some other nice bikes including BSA Catalina's. I'm off to get a scratchy.
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:43:26 am »
that bike has been for sale for ages  .firko pointed it out ages ago in previous post

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:00:49 pm »
that bike has been for sale for ages  .firko pointed it out ages ago in previous post

oh well -shit happens- ;)    ;D 
someones interested, :P  its got  three bids on it so far.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:45:52 pm »
This Cheney was built in the USA and the current owner bought it on eBay for "less than half" of what he's asking. I've got no problem at all with him making a buck on his purchase but I'm a little pissed off with myself for missing it the first time around.  :-\
These Weslake heads aren't that much of an engineering  revolution and offer little if any performance increase over the BSA head. The Wessy MX head bares no resemblence to the Weslake speedway head and is actually a once cylinder variation of Weslakes 6 cylinder Ford Zephyr conversion head. The  performance increase is more due to the capacity increase from 440 to 490 than any better gas flow. The heads were made exclusively for the Rickman Brothers for their over the counter Mk IV Metisse and are often referred to as the Rickman head. Fitting one to your B44 (if you could find one) makes little difference to performance but you get serious brownie points in the "my bikes tricker than yours" stakes. It also turns a perfectly competitive pre 65 Cheney into a non competitive pre 70 machine.
Below is Jonesys recent USA import genuine Weslake Metisse.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:11:07 pm by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:15:41 pm »
Thanks Firko- that rung a few of my memory bells.  ;D
If you had got it that first time around what other if any changes would you have made to it.?
Would you have sold it on by now.?
cheers
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:20:50 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:09 pm »
Alison....I wouldn't have made many changes if I'd got it for the 6k it originally sold for. Any changes would  be purely personal things like bar bend, footpegs and little 'ridability' things like dialing in the forks etc. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I rarely ever sell bikes on so it'd be sitting in the shed or at the track next to my almost identically framed Cheney Yamaha 360.........Anyway it didn't happen so good luck to whoever buys it this time around. It's a very cool bike and for rarity alone, worth the money.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:41:58 pm »
Old quilters saying "those with the most win"   ;)   ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 04:47:36 pm »
Dearest Mark
I've missed you, A wealth of information as usual, can just enlighten us all about the statement " it turns a competitive Pre 65 bike , into a non competitive Pre70 bike"
Is it the Mk4 metisse ?
A B44 ?
A Cheney B44?
All of the above , some of the above , or none of the above,(A competitive Pre 65 bike)
Looking forward to catching up at CD6 (if you are going )

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 04:53:57 pm »
If you had got it that first time around what other if any changes would you have made to it.?

different Mark....but i would have done something with the hideous coat of VHT black the engine is painted.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 05:50:29 pm »
Michael, Michael, Michael...I do believe you're trying to suck me into being controversial you naughty boy. ;D I think you know quite well that I was referring to the Cheney which without the Weslake head is a pre '65 bike (in most countries anyway). Give Mr Grayson a ring and he'll set you straight. With the Weslake head, which came out in 1968, the bike becomes a pre 70 machine and you know very well that the Mk4 Metisse is also not legal for pre '65 no matter what engine. See you at CD6.
And Marc...I agree, the black engine looks sucky.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:54:19 pm by firko »

albrid-3

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 06:50:05 pm »
check out the ccm on ebay.com, it was in VMX, Buy it now $25,000, $32,000 AUD. I`am not off to get a scratchy l know l wont win, lam off to get a Honda big bore and now l know l will win.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:55:27 pm by albrid-3 »