Author Topic: How To TIG Weld  (Read 22382 times)

Ji Gantor

Re: How To TIG Weld
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 07:48:28 am »
Okay so the machine is set up for aluminium welding. All the dials have been set and the gas flow checked. The earth clamp is attached to the practise plate and we have the right electrode ready to go. We are inside our shed so the wind does not blow away our gas and we have all the protective gear on.
What's next?
We have to have a practise to see what is going to happen when we pull the trigger or stomp down on the foot pedal.

The attached image is to show some mistakes which you should do so you really learn what is what.
First I turned the amps up to far and applied the electrode to the corner of my test plate. The corner could not handle so much heat and just melted.

The second test was to apply the electrode to the plate with out any gas flow. This is the black spot above the corner. This is carbon which now has to be cleaned off before we can continue.

The second black spot above the corner is when I touched the electrode on to the plate surface. The electrode deposited some of itself onto the plate and some of the plate coated the electrode. Both have to be cleaned before we can continue.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 07:58:06 am »
Our next practise should be something simple, something that only uses one hand so we can learn how to use the torch.

Position the torch about 5mm above the plate and pull the trigger. Move the electrode to within 2mm and when the arc starts watch the molten pool form. Once the pool has formed move the torch in a cirular motion and advance slowly. Try and keep the pool moving in a straight line and keep the pool about 6mm wide. Practise this for a while until you get the hang of it.
The circular motion gives the fish scale pattern.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 08:22:44 am »
After we feel we can handle the torch we move on to the filler rod.
I will be using  a 2.4mm diameter ER5356 filler rod for my practise plate.
The rods only cost 70cents.
Each rod is marked so you know what rod is used on what metal

Ji

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 09:03:55 am »
Once the pool has formed move the torch in a cirular motion and advance slowly. Try and keep the pool moving in a straight line and keep the pool about 6mm wide. Practise this for a while until you get the hang of it.
Ji

they all called puddle runs, next trick is to fusion weld two pieces together, just back two alloy edges hard up to each other and practice fusing without introducing any filler.
formerly Marc.com

Ji Gantor

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 10:53:00 am »
The next exercise is to introduce the filler rod.
This is not easy and takes a bit of time to get the hang of it.
Start the arc and look for the puddle.
When the puddle forms start the circular motion with the torch.
When the electrode is at the back on the puddle dab the filler rod into the leading edge of the puddle.
Raise the rod away from the electrode but still in the gas shield.
Continue with the circular motion and dab the rod again while advancing slowly.
when you have travelled an inch release the trigger but leave the torch in place until the gas flow has stopped.
Do this many times until you can really control the width of your bead, height and penetration.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 10:56:06 am »
When you get to the end of your run you will notice a crater.
This can be improved with practise.
When you release the trigger dab the filler rod a few times into the puddle as it cools.
This will fill the crater and finish the run.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 11:00:57 am »
Do countless runs.
As Firko said to me
"Practice, practice, practice. Then when you're reasonably satisfied with your technique..........Practice some more"

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 11:08:33 am »
When you can control your width and heat another exercise is to stand up a piece of plate and lay a run down on top of it like in the attached image. Once the first layer is down lay another run on top of it and so.
This is a great way to learn how to repair cylinder head fins.

Ji

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 12:15:28 pm »
Im confused is the filler coming in from behind or infront ? can you show a picture of where you hands are and the touch filler in relation to the job and and arrow to show direction of travel ?

might make it easier to get my head around what you saying there.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Ji Gantor

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 12:21:08 pm »
Unfortunately I would need a few more pairs of hands to hold the filler rod, the torch and a camera.
Next time I am near a welding yard I will ask one of the Boilermakers if he will model for me.

Ji

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 12:27:51 pm »
Use your teeth ..........  :o)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

oldfart

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 04:25:41 pm »
Freaky, hold torch at aprrox 60 degrees to material being welded and proceed along welded section dabbing filler rod in front of arc   
      Tunsten is creating a puddle  so filler rod can be added  ( rod is being applied to section cooling off
       NOT the other way round )    does this make sense
Ji ...Al oxide is the biggest beginners nightmare .......clean & re- clean prior to welding
      pre heating materal is also over looked
      As a general rule tip size equals rod size
      tip size versus amps
      tungsten in general protrudes past ceramic dia of tungsten

an old trick but a goody, when you tungsten gets contaminated break contaminated piece off . 
      Change polarity to direct current electrode positive and strike n ark on your work bench ( this will
      reball the tip as you may say ) . Switch machine back to original settings and your Ok to begin
      welding again.

Ji does this get your approval  ::)

Ji Gantor

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 04:30:16 pm »
Thats Gold

Are you a Boilermaker Oldfart?

Ji

oldfart

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 05:00:46 pm »
NO - learnt how to weld on an old lincon water cooled  when I was an apprentice.   licenced SHITHOUSE mechanic ;D  some say a licence to print money which is NOT true  ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2009, 05:01:20 pm »
Is this the same principals as a soldering iron on lead for lead light windows  ???
cheers
Best is in the West !!