Author Topic: Honda xl 250 engine Wanted. building Hybrid Race Machines.  (Read 12075 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Honda xl 250 engine Wanted. building Hybrid Race Machines.
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 01:51:51 pm »
remind me to just ease it out with the Barbi mate next time  ;D

the bike pictured is a minter and could almost make me like them, but the mystique that especially the 450s are held in always makes me scratch my head. Output is nothing special and the ankle biting kick start ratio and levels of vibration that would register Richter scale means I would stick to the bigger BSA/
formerly Marc.com

albrid-3

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 02:30:14 pm »
Your Ducati is a gem of a bike, l will take my hat off to honor your restoration Hybrid, love it. l have to say it, this is what vintage motorcross is all about, to have the forsyth into building your own creation, and to make it work, works bike alone are an insight into one mans dream , a manufacture creation so all of us can enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:41:53 pm by albrid-3 »

L.Ron.Pursang

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 04:03:37 pm »
Thanks for the nice words about my Hindall Ducati Dave, it is indeed a pretty little thing if I do say so myself. However, as you see it in the photos was its last time in public in that guise. I've decided that as it wouldn't be a very competitive pre 65 racer and with the Maico/ Sprite pre 65 project becoming a reality, I'd get more fun use by converting the little Ducati into a street tracker/cafe racer. I've already got a cool Grimeca 2ls front hub laced up and I used the Rickman wheels off it on my Cheney Yamaha and the tank on another project. It's a shame but Marc is right, the bike would never have been competitive on the track.........
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:07:02 pm by firko »

albrid-3

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 04:34:52 pm »
Mark, that is a shame, but the Sprite will be better, the early Maico motor will be a good choice in the Sprite frame, Have you seen my Husqvarna on ebay.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:37:49 pm by albrid-3 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 06:41:22 pm »
It's a shame but Marc is right, the bike would never have been competitive on the track.........

ahh but its a pretty thing thats for sure.

Anyway Mark you mentioned your old XL down the back of the woolshed....good starting point
formerly Marc.com

albrid-3

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 09:59:53 pm »
Marc, do live in Australia or Toko

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 01:07:05 am »
Re original thread - local guy is selling a xl 250 and 350 they looked pre 76, can track him down if your interested, he was asking $400 a piece and he was riding them so they are going etc
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Oggy Doggy

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 10:23:54 am »
I love engine swap bikes. It gives us a chance to express the inner individuality in us. I know a bloke building an XL 350 powered Rickman Montesa and it'll be the bike Rickman should have made, sort of like a grown up version of Jonesy SL125 Rickman. I agree that unless you know what you're doing, the XL powered Maico isnt as easy as it looks. Getting the engine easily in and out is the first obstacle to overcome then carby clearance and a bunch more. I watched a bloke bastardise a perfect 74 250 frame trying to do the swap. The result was awful and it never  turned a wheel. I think its one of the frames Firko gave Les Rickters.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 12:05:07 pm »
Yeah a little thought before chopping up the frame is advisable,  ;D doing engine swaps adds a whole different set of headaches to just doing a routine overhaul of a bike. If you want to do a good job, then exhaust, decent airbox, carb location all have to be taken into account, welding on engine mounts is the easy bit.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 10:07:40 pm »
David SL250 engine on Ebay I informed of is a 1975/6 center port waste of time. sorry. Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

firko

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 10:21:48 am »
Anyway Mark you mentioned your old XL down the back of the woolshed....good starting point
I had a look at the basket case XL-S behind my mates shed and after having to drag it out of the jasmine vines found it to be pretty much rusted solid. The bike's been in the weather for 20 years and it shows. It will be used for something or other but its way down the food chain right now. Number five in fact, so it won't see any spanner action (from me anyway) for a couple of years at least. The KSI tribute bike (it ain't a replica, I'm sure you'll agree) is a cool project though Marc. Pity you're in Japan, I like your left field taste in vintage racers, we need to get together to map out further hot rod Frankenbikes. ;D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 10:45:54 am »
The KSI tribute bike (it ain't a replica, I'm sure you'll agree) is a cool project though Marc. Pity you're in Japan, I like your left field taste in vintage racers, we need to get together to map out further hot rod Frankenbikes. ;D

Mark you gotta get with the modern nomenclature....its a KSI 'Theme Bike' ...... I plan to build them for Aussie companies and make a million bucks. The first one we are doing is the 'RAM XL250' for the Australian Wool Board, will feature sack cloth seat, horns and a big pair of nuts hanging off the rear guard. The Board are sending over a sack of dags and two drunken shearers so we can figure out how to incorporate them into our design.  ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 01:44:14 pm »
Marc you riding or guzzling the kawa SAKI?????? :D
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

lc4

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »
Have 1 bottom end and one full motor (72) in peices if your interested.

albrid-3

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 08:49:13 am »
Just bought the xl 350 engine, maico frame back out, looking for another, or  a Elsinore 250 Frame. thanks for all the offers on other 250 engines , l will see how this go`s first. The Frame is the hard part. How much trouble did edgar phipps have fitting his 350 engine honda xl into the elsinore frame.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:09:00 pm by albrid-3 »