Author Topic: Honda xl 250 engine Wanted. building Hybrid Race Machines.  (Read 12070 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Honda xl 250 engine Wanted. building Hybrid Race Machines.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 05:39:30 pm »
brad was talking about doing the same thing awhile ago

albrid-3

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 05:54:45 pm »
great Photo`s Mark, l am happy that you had that photo of the maico/yam, really nice to see you back mark cheers.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 07:11:02 pm »
wow cool hybrids, I have spare B44 engine, now if I can just find a good Husky frame.  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 07:34:02 pm »
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 08:37:06 pm »
quote Personally I shudder at the thought of chopping up a perfectly good Maico frame for a hot rod.

That is the reason why our project came to a stand still--not good juju cutting up Maico frame  :D  ;)
Cheers S&A WA
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 11:05:48 pm »
Ebay item  220410312772   Just what you want, If you bid and win anything of this seller the items can be delivered here cheap to me and stored for pick up. Cheers Tim D.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:21:06 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

L.Ron.Pursang

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 12:46:09 am »
As you've probably guessed, I love these hybrid, or as I like to call them hot rod bikes. They're a hoot to build as you don't have to conform to the standards set down for a concourse resto. You can go for it to your hearts content so long as that if you're going to race your frankenbike, the components are legit for the era. I'm currently gearing up to seriously get stuck into my Maico 326 powered Rickman Zundapp. (below) and I'm getting the bits together to build an oval barrel Maico 360 powered Sprite (American Eagle/Alron/BVM) pre 65 racer sometime next year.

Here are a few more interesting pre '75 hot rod racers.

Brad and Daryl Lewis's Penda, a 125 KTM(Penton) fitted with a CR125M motor. FMF started in business doing this conversion back in 1973. Photo taken at CD5.

An unuaual AT1 125 Yamaha powered AJS Stormer. I'd rather see a 250 Yamaha engine in there. As you can clearly see there's plenty of room in there!

Edgar Phipps legendary 490cc Powroll stroker XL powered Elsinore. Probably the most lethal VMX bike I've ever ridden. This thing handles like a rodeo bucking bronco with the big engine but is a sweetie with its alternate 305 engine. The big engine over torques the chassis but is a cool unit just the same.

albrid-3

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 08:41:07 am »
Hi guy`s, this is the best thread, this is amazing, you don`t realize what people do when the shed doors are closed, check that barrel out on the maico. VMX need to do the hole magazine on Hybrids within Australia. Hybrids have been around for 80 years, they are the best by far.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:57:18 pm by albrid-3 »

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 09:12:30 am »
I have an MJ Husky frame spare if anyone can use it. Just don't tell me what you do with it! Blasphemy!
Cheers,
K

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 09:35:47 am »
So Firko, is the Alron OK for pre 65?
Couple of CR`s

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 10:57:56 am »
12 months ago I would have shuddered and got real peed at people who would do this to a pre75 bike........but alas I have changed my opinion(only slightly) after watching little bits of this and that changed between TS and TM's on the Suzuki forum.
So it looks like I have been brain washed to the darker side of VMX.....well really who couldn't with the above bike photos  :o    ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

L.Ron.Pursang

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 11:27:16 am »
So Firko, is the Alron OK for pre 65?
Good question Birko. In a nutshell, the complete Alron isn't legal as the 360/405 Sprite and OSSA Phantom engines used didn't come out until the late sixties and 1974 respectively. However my intended project combines the same frame which came out in 1964 using a Villiers engine ( VMX issue #36, pages 32/33) and an oval barrel Maico engine which also came out in 1964. Alan Jones has sold me one of his American Eagle 250 frames and I'll use my spare Maico 400 squarie engine fitted with an oval cylinder, Ceriani forks and full width Maico hubs/Akront rims. I reckon it'll make an extremely competitive pre 65 bike. These American Eagle/Sprites are the best kept secret in the sport. They're as light as Mary Kate Olsen, made from Reynolds 531, come with quality REH forks/conical hubs and quality fibreglass and alloy bodywork. The frame is well constructed and has almost enough room to fit a small block Chevy. Jonesy's building a 405 American Eagle and an Alron as we speak. Actually I had originally intended to build a proddy Maico Sprite as the factory briefly made such a model in 1967 but a few beers with the boys on Jonesys sun deck had me convinced that owning four open class pre '70 class bikes was a bit of overkill. Pre 65 seemed a better option. The only problem right now is finding an oval cylinder. I've had two ads on the Swapmeet site but no response.

American Eagle/Sprite/Alron/BVM roller in the process of resto in Jonesys shed

Another cool swap, A Husky powered M11 Bultaco Metisse. I fitted a 500 Triumph to one of these frames. Plenty of room.

Here's another M11 Bully Metisse, this one with a narrow case 250 Ducati engine, Note Norton rubber front engine mounts. A bit of thought's gone into this one.

Here's a dare to be different one...Hodaka 250 Thunderdog powered AW Maico. I'm not over rapt in the horrible Kato front guard and hate the chrome bling pipe. Otherwise...cool
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:05:08 pm by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 12:51:51 pm »
Here's another M11 Bully Metisse, this one with a narrow case 250 Ducati engine, Note Norton rubber front engine mounts. A bit of thought's gone into this one.(quote)

yeah pity Ducati never put any thought into it  ;D ;D most over rated motor in history
formerly Marc.com

Quicksilver

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 01:28:42 pm »
RM370 set up to take TT500 engine. This bike was pro built I am told and set for road racing some years ago. A strong runner and well balanced bike they tell me. I must do something with it some day before it decays

L.Ron.Pursang

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 01:38:36 pm »
yeah pity Ducati never put any thought into it    most over rated motor in history
Marc.....It's almost as if you've torn my heart out with a pair of BBQ tongs!  :'( I love my Narrow case Ducati MXer! I must admit that they're a bit underpowered but remember we're talking 1963 here, what other 4 stroke 250 was any faster or more reliable? The BSA 250 a pathetic slug compared to the Duke and I can't think of any other motocross friendly 250 4 strokers from that era that could match the Ducati.