Author Topic: 18 pages of moto 100's, you're kidding right?  (Read 4567 times)

magoo

18 pages of moto 100's, you're kidding right?
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:48:48 pm »
I've just noticed the "do you moto 100's" thread and thought to myself am I missing something? gotta be the biggest pisstake of all time. 18 pages? you're kidding right.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: 18 pages of moto 100's, you're kidding right?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 09:50:00 pm »
It's gotta be a piss take Magoo.. why would you bother with those 100cc shitboxes.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:55:37 pm »
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=971.0
I know I'm probably pushing my luck but, is there going to be one, and where and when Huh
TMBill and myself, our partners(a couple of bikes Grin) and of course our 'buying governors'("but your've got 3 of those already" Grin) want to make the trip over. We need to start a plan of attack for this great Aussie VMX icon. Shipping, travel, accommodation(camping?), Trying to talk someone over there to hireing a pit tent to us so we dont burst in flame Grin. Getting someone to clear a 1000m radius of snakes, spiders, croc's and anything else that is deadly(Klub Kevlar Magaritas exempt) Grin.

It would be great to put a few faces to the names in here and then have a ride or 2. Of course I know a few sheep shagger jokes will be told, so thats another reason why we need to know the date to learn all our come-backs Grin.
Anyway, yeah as I say I know I'm pushing it but, I got $20 in my pocket and a bike on the truck, I wanna go riding. Bring on CD-5......please!!! Grin
This little ditty started by DJ in NZ also has a large record, they are all worth the line after line of great VMX reading...Hope that one day these little 100cc bikes are riden as a class of there own at an event such as Classic Dirt   8) 
cheers
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:58:46 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:58:48 pm »
Brucey Baby, a big part of the enthusiasm for the Fly class is because its an escape from the bullshi that's too often involved in this sport.

"Oh, he's racing one of those!"  Too Frikken right - everyone else is on shit box trailbikes too, so why not!?

"$15k for an old dirt bike!? You gotta be kidding me?!!" Yep, its a joke. But hey, you can get out there and do it with a $100 bike.

"He's got the wrong tank stickers for that model" So what?!

Etc.

Personally, I see it as an partial attempt to return to the early days of VMX, where it was about getting out there and having fun on old dirt bikes that didn't cost much and you had some connection to. No rule-book-warriors, no pressure, no mega dollars being hurled through the mud, no former-coulda-been world champs with a ton of excuses.
Just get out there and have some fun.

Others may have a different POV, but that's mine.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 12:06:52 am »
i got my DT100 and i'm proud of it.
ok, so it's not going yet but it will be.......
fun ;D
"flat bickie"

DR

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 07:14:04 am »
yup, I've a 3 flyclass contenders kawas, zook and Honda and the reason why I bother with these 'pieces of shit' is because these pieces of shit are my history ;) These are the bikes my brothers and father owned and the models I cut my teeth on. I have a very sentimantal attachement to all things 100cc. One mans trash is another treasure and I don't need to pay spastic over inflated prices for the bikes or the bits as most with the old MX models do. I do not look upon them as shit but more as stepping stones ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:19:51 am by Doc »

magoo

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 07:21:01 am »
I love it, if only we can generate that type of enthusiasm to the rest of the vintage classes. It would be funny watching a 6'4 lard arse (me) riding around on one though.

DR

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 08:25:56 am »
It's the lack of power and the lack of the $ factor required that makes these bikes fun Magoo, there isn't a class for them hence you simply won't get the same enthusiasm. Might be worth considering a 100 class with numbers dwindling and people calling for pre'90. It's a popular class in the US and they age no differently to us. Regardless of whatever make size or model VMX bikes you have the absolute truth is they are now outdated totally non competitive old bikes. The serious competitive side of me went out the door at least 15 years ago and now my life is based on having as much fun as possible in the little time I have left to do so. If riding a TS100 or TS90, Kawa 100 or the SL Honda in between riding 'real' bikes puts more smiles on dials then it's all good in my eyes. 

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 08:38:26 am »
........trust me , watching MY 6' 4" orangutan frame on a 100 will crack you up , but I agree with Nathan , too much emphasis is on your bike being perfectly to manufacturers spec.............just get out there and ride the buggars !!  Seeing all the fat,short,tall,lanky,Mr motocross wannabe, weekend warriors on piss ant little 100cc smoke pots ie. even footing,would be brilliant........and what a blast !! Take a spare pair of jocks!! You're sure to be pissing yourself with laughter by the end of the race........if any of us make it to the end !    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)      

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 09:43:17 am »
It's a popular class in the US and they age no differently to us. 
From what i can gather from Red's original post 'Do you moto 100', it seems that they still use mx type bikes such as yz100's. Not so much a dunger  class. I would also imagine that some would throw a fair bit of money at them as well for both looks and performance gains.
I cant see a 100 class getting off the ground at QVMX for example. With the amount of races they now have with pre 90, there just wont be enough time.
I also dont really see this as an entry level to vmx as i already see guys with what i consider entry level bikes with trail bikes and enduro bikes , not to mention the guys who will ride a bike how they found it so to speak, so you dont have to throw heaps of money at one either.
Maybe a class like this would work at a BMCC meet as they are always struggling for numbers. No doubt if they followed QVMX and had later models, it would thrive also....maybe?
"$15k for an old dirt bike!? You gotta be kidding me?!!" Yep, its a joke. But hey, you can get out there and do it with a $100 bike.
You dont see too many $15K bikes on the track and in reality, the majority would be less than half that.
Being on the side of the coin that has a couple of thoroughbreds , i dont really see the need to have a $100 bike to race other than a novelty race a few times a year, for the laugh so to speak. At the risk of sounding like a snob or big noter, if all you can afford is a $100 bike to go racing, maybe you need to go fishing instead. Lets face it, mx is the cheapest form of motor sport going, vmx even cheaper. I have been racing my 490 for two seasons and am still running the same tyre that i put on it from the resto.

L.Ron.Pursang

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 12:00:41 pm »
The dunger/fly/moto100 class thread emerged after a bench session involving myself, Jonesy, Oldschool, Yamaboy and a few Kevlars discussing how the spiralling costs of building a competitive VMX bike was possibly keeping many young or not so cashed up potential racers from joining the sport. By sheer coincidence, my little TS 90 Honcho just happened to be parked nearby and as more Kozel Pilsener was consumed we began to develop a hypothetic class where the Honco would fit in. We figured that there were a shitload of 100cc trailies out there laying dormant in barns and sheds overlooked by restorers, racers and everybody in between that could be had for little money. We worked out a rough set of rules and had a laugh about it and pretty much forgot about it until Red put up his 'Do you Moto 100" thread. I then posted the proposal mainly as a "foot in the water" to see if our idea was worth persuing and ....18 pages later, the rest is history.

It's easy to pompously sit back and take the piss at the proposal when you've got a shed full of exotic bikes, but what about those out there without the money to throw at a "proper" race bike? Why not give those folks and others who like the concept a chance to be a part of our sport using machines that otherwise would still be laying around doing nothing. It's a win/win situation. Are we becoming that snobby that we look down on the 100cc bikes as pieces of crap with no redeeming merit? The fact that 90% of the posts on that 18 page thread supported the idea must mean that there is a place in our sport for some sort of cheap entry level class.
 Rather than criticize it, why not do something positive to get new people into the sport by introducing an accessible and cheap entry level class. Road racing has bucket racing so why shouldn't we have something similar?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:05:16 pm by firko »

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 12:56:28 pm »
A bit off track maybe but my idea of an entry level/cheap class would be based on something like a TS185ER Suzuki. Driving from Darwin to Brissy we saw these things at every little town on the way and at every wreckers. There must be thousands of these things out there and they seem to be worth SFA.
Rules? standard wheels, forks, frame, swingarm, pipe, muffler, airbox, carb, seat and tank but do what ever mods you're silly enough to try within standard parts. Radical porting? if you want but you're limited in carb size and still need to run the std pipe AND muffler.
Remove all road gear and your choice of tyres, shocks.
If they are comparable you could probably also run DT175 Yamaha's.

This is what I see as a CHEAP way to go twin shock racing

Brent
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:02:21 pm by brent j »
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 02:05:51 pm »
We already run this class in Victoria and its a blast!

I've raced my whole life, ridden some weapons including a couple of factory bikes and at the end of the day when I've had a race long dice with a few mates in a Bucket race I've still got a grin from ear to ear ;D

Its bloody hard to ride these things fast (especially when on the wrong side of 100KG) and they make for good racing because you have to carry speed everywhere despite the lack of handling, brakes, power etc

I know at the Classic Scramble Club it has introduced plenty of people to VMX racing, me and 5 of mates included. They turn up first off on a $100 special and by the end of the season have bought a "proper" VMX bike as well

Get a race up and running fellas, you'll have a ball!
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 10:49:57 am »
We already run this class in Victoria and its a blast!

I've raced my whole life, ridden some weapons including a couple of factory bikes and at the end of the day when I've had a race long dice with a few mates in a Bucket race I've still got a grin from ear to ear ;D

Its bloody hard to ride these things fast (especially when on the wrong side of 100KG) and they make for good racing because you have to carry speed everywhere despite the lack of handling, brakes, power etc

I know at the Classic Scramble Club it has introduced plenty of people to VMX racing, me and 5 of mates included. They turn up first off on a $100 special and by the end of the season have bought a "proper" VMX bike as well

Get a race up and running fellas, you'll have a ball!

and a great outcome at that-good for you and your mates pouring money back into clubs  :-*   8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 11:38:50 am »
I'm not short of a decent bike or three and let me tell you it would be great to put them all in the cold with a TS90 Honcho if it could be 'raced' ! I'm not about to clutter an already packed shed with yet another bike just for decoration but if it served a purpose it could be crammed in I'm sure.

These tiddlers were the bikes many of us, particularly those who weren't lucky enough to have a generous mum or dad giving us everything,could scrape up enough money for to pick up a well uses second hand 'thoroughbred' and play race on. My second bike after the 90cc Honda steppy was a TS90 and that bike probably holds the best memories of my teenage life (oh yeah I forgot there was something better but that 'came' a few years later, lol).

I reckon there must be hundreds of old die hards out there who scrimped and saved to get one of them or something similar along the with the mandatory army GP boots, jeans and footy jumper then let loose on any spare scrap of dirt we could find. I bet it WOULD take off and WOULD draw more to the sport without the elitist bullshit that some bikes can have attached to them.

In another thread it was mentioned the average rider takes 2.5 bikes to a meeting - I'm betting the tiddlers could make up that other .5 and for many the only .5 to start with.

It's a great idea but for one thing - Who would get it up and running at a meeting - the committees work their arses off now?

If it is to become a reality such as RR buckets, a draft set of rules governing compliance, race format etc needs to be put up and the rest hopefully would follow - I'm for a novelty type race for starters with NO points at all just a three lapper with spectators and flaggies rolling around on the ground laughing. After that I reckon it would get legs and become a regular on the program and it would definitely bring more competitors in as many are reluctant to fork out decent sums of money for a serious bike when they are unsure they will enjoy the sport.

This deserves some serious consideration because I want to see the sport grow just like the next man (or woman with respect to the girls who also love old dirt bikes!)

Off the soapie now.

Happy Mothers Day to the ladies,

Dave Mac  ;D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted