Author Topic: A Bike Called "L"  (Read 5310 times)

Ji Gantor

A Bike Called "L"
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:31:07 AM »
The riders and spectators at the third round of QVMX at Coles Creek were in for a great day of natural terrain MX racing. The overgrown bladie grass cow paddock had a path slashed that snaked its way over off camber corners up and down hills and through the gullies.

When practice started the dew coated grass reflected the soft autumn sun light in this very peaceful dell. As pretty as the grass looked it proved to be just as slippery as riders slid out in every tight off camber corner until the final practice session produced moist grippy dirt.

The ridge that over looked the track was packed with riders gazebos, utes, trailers and spectators. In all there were about 150 riders ready to do battle and gain experience for the nationals later on in the year.

The racing started and everything was going great, riders were trying to come to terms with the tight off camber corners and testing how fast they could hit the gullies without bottoming out their suspension.

As the day progressed all the riders between races moved around the pits catching up with old friends. I made my way down to the very end of the pits to find Paul an interesting fellow I met at the Conondale Classic last year. Last year when we met he had just picked up a Yamaha TT250 from his brother the day before. The bike had been sitting in a shed for a few years and Paul was not sure it was even going to start. After scrutineering he had to place a race number on all of the number plates. He, like a few others that meet only had insulation tape. He jokingly asked what number should he use and after all the jokes were done he said "I know I will use the letter L for learner".

When the racing started he kicked the bike into life and off he went. When he returned he told use that it was missing badly but he still had a lot of fun. Later we discovered he won that race but you would not know from talking to him.

Later on in 2008 I saw Paul and his bike called "L" at the Mount Tamborine races and again he won all his races. A happy, funny, helpful and very clean racer, I had to find out more about this very humble fellow. He wore a large enduro jacket and stood up around every corner never taking his feet off the pegs. After a little digging I found out that he was a Queensland enduro champion in his younger days and after seeing him ride I doubt he has lost any skill.

Back to the future Paul shook my hand and said "Do you remember Micky Cook the MX racer" I said "Yeah, sure, why"  Paul said "He is on my bike in the race about to start"  so off we ran to get a spot were we could see all the action. Mick on this tiered old TT250 called "L" made it to the first corner second behind a well known racer we will call Jeff on his Maico MC490 1981 Mega 2. What a race, the first lap saw Mick show the front wheel on every corner probing trying to see if Jeff would panic, but not Jeff. Mick later told us that that Maico was set up perfect and that Jeff stuck to his line and never showed an ounce of panic. Up the straight the Maico would just pull away but by the second corner Mick had the front wheel right beside Jeff's leg again in every corner. On the third and final lap as they both rode up out of a gully Mick was in front.

Mick rode the wheels off that bike and laughed as he explained how the valves were bouncing most of the time.
No disrespect to Jeff he rode a great race and in my opinion that race was better than the Super X I saw last year. Very clean racing with both guys trying hard in every corner.

Ji
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:43:38 AM by Ji Gantor »

L.Ron.Pursang

Re: A Bike Called "L"
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:54:58 AM »
Good report Ji. Does that mean that "Sick" Mick Cook is also to be added to the 'old pros slumming it on old bikes' list at the Conondale Nats? Good to see.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:01:35 AM »
It is so good to see you back !

Sick Mick retired because racing was not fun any more.
I asked him if he enjoyed himself and his face lit up with joy.
Then I asked him if he will be at the Nationals and he said sure if I can get a bike.
He does not have to worry about that, on the day other racers that noticed he was going to ride the TT offered him a better bike but Mick told them that the Yamaha was a good bike.

I saw the look in his eye, he will be back.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
There is so much more to this story than I have written about.
Mick on the second lap dropped back 50 metres to think about were he could get past Jeff.
When he had worked it out it only took two corners and he was breathing down Jeff's neck again. When they approached a corner Jeff was braking early on Mick flew past. Mick went on to gap Jeff just enough to hold him at bay down the straight and to the chequered flag. As I said Jeff was not an easy beat and Mick had to work for the win.

Great racing in just 3 laps.

Ji
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:51:29 PM by Ji Gantor »

Offline jackiemac

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:20:34 AM »
Hi Robert, I remember that bike called "L" and I remember thinking, that "L" does not stand for Learner.
I could hear his screams of joy :D he was having a good time 8)

Keep Smiling :)
Jackie Mac
Be kind to your neighbour!!

Ji Gantor

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:34:48 AM »
Thanks Jackie,
I was hoping you would add an image of the bike.
Do you have an image of the bike side on so members can see what the bike looked like.
It was stock standard and has hardly had a spanner on it.
He was flying.

Keep well

Ji
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:36:46 AM by Ji Gantor »

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »
Great Story!  ;D

Offline jackiemac

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:18:01 PM »
You sure are multi talented Robert, great story :D

Jackie Mac

Ji Gantor

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 12:21:19 PM »
Thanks Jackie from all members for the images.
Thanks Jackie for the kind words.

Keep well.
Ji

Offline jackiemac

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 12:30:26 PM »
other side ;D ;D ;D

Jackie Mac

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 02:13:41 PM »
Was this the bike and/or rider that cleaned up the 4 stroke class at last years Conondale classic?
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »
Trust me a TT250 wont beat a Macio 490, you will find hes on a TT350
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »
You're right it was a TT350.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »
Hi Brent J,
No I think this is the first time Mick has competed in VMX.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 03:46:24 PM »
Hi Graham,
There was something said about a 350cc engine but I did not hear what it was. I am trying to contact Paul to find out what size the engine is.
It is in a TT250 frame.

Ji