Author Topic: TT 500 CHAIN CASE SAVER  (Read 3657 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
TT 500 CHAIN CASE SAVER
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:12:53 pm »
hi
is there an aftermarket case saver for tt500.i threw a chain at nepean on sunday and the chain hit the oil inlet pipe braking the top lug on the crankcase just above the counter shaft sprocket.it started to leak oil but when i pushed it back into place(just swivelled on bottom bolt) no oil leaked out.not knowing the extent of damage i packed up and went home.on ferther investigation all i have to do is weld and retap the thread for the top screw.i could even just stick it with epoxy or devcon.
back to the case saver is ther 1 you can buy for the tt500,so this wont pappen again
cheers
jim

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: TT 500 CHAIN CASE SAVER
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:21:58 pm »
I made a case saver out of 3mm alloy plate ,as seen in TT500 manuals from white brothers it looks exact the same it took me a few cardboard templates to get it right but it works . I have six TT500 gear boxes and they all have broken sprocket cover brackets  >:( i wished they used case savers, buy you can get them fixed through 8) i can send you a card board template to make your own or i can send you a email pic. i have seen case savers on ebay in usa at times

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:13:21 pm »
I destroyed a side case before I fitted a case saver.
I got a little carried away with mine, it's 4mm stainless and mounts on the two rear engine mounts as well as the sprocket cover screws.
I did file the sprocket cover so it sits flush over the case saver.
There is clearence to run a 17 tooth front sprocket

In 10,00 years when all traces of VMX are long forgotten some one will find my case saver, I wonder what they will think ;D
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:16 pm »
Good job Brent, its a pitty those snotty nosed 13 year olds thrashing around the paddock on their TM 125s back in 1974 were so busy thinking of ways to chop the back of the frame to lay the shocks down or burying all the auto lube system in the back yard "under the cover of dark"  (because real motocross bikes dont have oil tanks) to think of ways to save the ignition side cover.Because any one who has tried to chase a good second hand one knows the little shits threw chains at all of them...

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:04:46 pm »
I'm in the process of making one for the TM. It won't be as drastic as the one on the XT (built for nuclear MX).

By the way did you ever sell those TS/TM125 engine bits. I looked on ebay but didn't see a relisting?
Check "another TM125" in the Suzi section, recognise the tank?

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:46:51 am »
Brent, heres a shot of the ignition cover I fabricated for my 125.The base plate is 6mm aluminium and the body is a piece of 3mm rolled and welded to a disc with the suzuki emblem cut out of a TS transmission cover.I had a local welder tig it all up for $40. I thought the tank on your 125 looked familiar, Its a small world.And as I am racing the 125 this season I thought it wise to hang on to what spares I have. Cheers Terry..

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 01:20:43 pm »
TT500 in the last issue of Classic Dirtbike had the best modification yet.....they moved the oil inlet to the top of the casing.

Case savers come up on ebay, or I could trace mine and mail you the template.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 01:23:27 pm »
formerly Marc.com