Author Topic: best way to get frozen bolts out  (Read 2600 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
best way to get frozen bolts out
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:04:28 am »
apart from drilling what si the best way to get frozen allen key screws out po has stipped thr inside of head.also 3 flat blade bolts as well.
thanks
jim

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: best way to get frozen bolts out
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 11:20:49 am »
I brought my self a bolt remover kit, you have to drill the right size hole through the bolt and screw the tool in, as you turn it, it tightens its self up and removes the bolt ;D but i have broken one tool doing this it was a 6mm bolt i was trying to remove, larger bolts that you have to remove have a larger tools to suit and have less chance brakin .You could try spraying WD on it twice a day over a week that worked for me once, if it still has the head on the bolt and its been rounded off try fileing flat spots on both sides of it and use a spanner to remove. trying to heat it will heat the bolt and other part at the same time and may not work ???
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:12:53 pm by mick25 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 12:18:32 pm »
remember once you break the bolt extractor you have a problem as they are hard like a tap, and like a tap the only way then is to bust them up with a bunch. Never use them myself as they tend to make matters worse.

bolt removal takes practice, or good tools, with Allen screws you have a problem as they are hard to drill, heat is usually a good start then move on to heat and CRC and finally drill them, the heat softens and loosens the bolt. Then you can often work em out with a punch or grind a bigger key into taper and drive it in.

BEST/CHEAPEST solution especially engine casings.....go to automotive machine shop and go 'here fix this'.
formerly Marc.com

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:40:47 pm »
If the head has snapped off , place a nut over it and mig or stick thru the threaded section . This will do 2 things ....allow heat  to travel down the bolt and lossen up and allow you to get a socket on it.
IT WORKS 

lc4

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 04:23:10 pm »
Option1:Without special tool
Use a small fine chisel and tap gently on edge of head of bolt / screw
Option 2: Special tool
Not sure were to source these but they are similar to a allen key (without the bend) and you drill down centre of bolt then tap the key into place and then use spanner to loosen.
Ezy outs are crap as they only put more pressure as they spread the bolt / stud and usually break making the task even more difficult.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 04:46:27 pm »
it helps if you use an impact driver well before the hex gets too rounded out. same goes for phillips head screws. Dont keep struggling with a screw driver or plain allen key and end up making things worse. while you still have a a bit of a hex or screw diver slot left attack it with a impact driver ( not its not the same thing as a rattle gun) and a couple good hard solid hits. if the head is beyond even a impact driver bit, then your in trouble and have to drill and use things like easy outs or as oldfart suggests, weld a nut onto it.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 04:56:19 pm »
Drill out the centre of the bolt all the way thru just leaving the thread.

Grab a hacksaw blade and grind off the back of the blade just leaving the teeth and minimal backing.
 insert modified blade into modified bolt now with hole and push and pull, cutting thru the thread of the remaining bolt.
 find a centre punch and tap out the remaining thread from the bolt hole and it will come out easy. ;)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:30:48 pm »
 Marc got it covered    "BEST/CHEAPEST solution especially engine casings.....go to automotive machine shop and go 'here fix this'." ;)  Trouble is bastards keep wheeling insanity inducing agony around to me................. and I dont have a machine shop........... ::)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 01:13:57 pm »
forget everything everyone said except oldfart ;)
if the bolt is in aluminium
place nut centrally over bolt
and mig weld through centre
let it cool a few minutes then undo
if the nut doesnt take properly
just re do it
pease of piss ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 09:13:46 am »
Have to agree with Oldfart & holeshot too. This works best so long as you can get to the bolt to be able to weld to it & it's not completely frozen in.

Easy outs are next to useless, ecspecially on small bolts which is mostly what we deal with in bikes. Also total waste of time if the bolt is frozen in.

If the bolt is frozen in then you will have to drill. This can be tricky in alloy as the drill will find it's way into the softer alloy. Best to start with a new small drill bit & work your way up in size. I prefer "shorty" No. 30 or No. 20 drill bits for pilot holes. Because they are shorter they flex less & are easier to "aim"
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 01:38:18 pm »
another neat trick is l/h drill bits,9 outa 10 times the bit grips,spins the stud/bolt out,neat too is the drill bits heating as it does it's thing, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!