Author Topic: Stupid things we did with bikes when younger  (Read 4498 times)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Stupid things we did with bikes when younger
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:53:55 pm »
My second bike when i was 10 in the early eighties was a TY50 and one day i was interested how the carby worked so i unscrewed the top off, had look at that funny neddle and slide but i didnt put the slide back in right and just pushed down hard on the spring and tighten her back up  ;) but it didnt have a kick starter so on my parents property was a steep gravel hill so down i went it fired into life at full pelt and i hit a barb wire fence :'(  the rest is history so the tip is make sure the slide drops right down and have a kick starter. I have a few more funnys ones to post later ;D                                                           

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid things we did with bikes when younger
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:14:04 pm »
I have another tip  ;) I had a yamaha AG100 pre 75 new zealand farm bike they had two spark plugs in the head one spare for back up :P one day i was cruiseing down to opononi and i herd a lound pop both the spark plugs  blew out at the same time onto the road :-\ so i had to jungle hot plugs before a car ran them over  :'( so the tip is make sure your plugs are tight ;D

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:27:56 pm »
Next tip, Dont use fly wheels of diffrent bikes    I had a suzuki ER125 and one day i was rideing along the beach and herd a funny grinding noise coming from the fly wheel area :o and she stopped dead so it was a 2k push a hill home :'( i took the fly wheel off and all the magnefs well broke ??? I had a spare AG 100 yamaha one that fitted 8) but when i tryed to start it she keeped kicking back and firing it started :D but i had to keep reving it to keep her going i put it into gear and it went backwards 8) 8)two strokes can run in reverese things you do when you are 12 ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:47:03 pm »
These aren't stupid things,but some of the OZVMX crew members in their younger days  ;D

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=2002.30

enjoy, some neat smaller cc bikes  8)
Alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:13:39 pm »
Thanks for all those classic pics vmx247 didnt realise this topic has been up before im a bit of a newbie ;D i will go back to the shed now ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:25:17 pm »
Thanks for all those classic pics vmx247 didnt realise this topic has been up before im a bit of a newbie ;D i will go back to the shed now ;)

Yep-there is some nice classic pics in there 8)
 I got told the other day that the TM400 topic has about 15 conversations/threads in here,never can keep a wild beast down  hey ;)
oh well -I best, off back to the kitchen now  :D  ;) actually, no I'm off on my KLR to take the dogs for a run  :P
enjoy Alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:52:12 pm »
I had a DT1. Stupid me left the fuel tap on, and the bottom end of the motor filled with fuel over a week.

So I pulled the spark plug out, put it in first gear, opened the throttle and pushed the bike around the back yard. Started spraying stinky, stale fuel out of the plug hole - and because it was a DT1, the plug hole faces out to the left of the bike so fuel is spraying out like some sort of demented crop duster.

WHOOPH! Suddenly there's a five foot long flame belching out of the motor.
Well bugger me.
I want to move the bike away from the car its next to, so I keep pushing. Needless to say, I get another five foot long flame engulfing my arm and the left side of my chest.
So then I drop the bike and run to get the hose.

Of course, the hose is just a bit too short, and the water only just reaches the bike... Takes a long time to put the flames out, as fuel is trickling out of the exhaust pipe.

Didn't do any real damage to the bike - lots of black soot everywhere, and lots of mud sprayed up by the hose, but that's about all.

Ah, the folly of youth. Now, I'm a full eight hours older and much, much wiser.... :D ::)
I assume that my eyelashes, eyebrow and arm hair will grow back?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:28:54 pm »
Mick25, this not bike related but you should like it.

About thirty years ago your father played some practical joke on my mate and I. I can’t remember what it was.
We decided on revenge so after dark we jacked up one back wheel of the old Holden wagon and put a block under the axle. Just enough to stop it going anywhere. We thought we were pretty clever til my dad pointed out that your mum was due to have a baby, right about now………………………

Your old man still thought it was a great joke.
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:54:41 pm »
Nice one brent my old man still has a funny sence of humour that would of been the EK green wagon i think ??? my mate does the same tricks on me at  work sites. I went through all the gears no go he was looking out the window laughing, hes done few funny ones zip ties around the drive shalf makes a lound ticking noise,swaps the plug leads around,saw dust above sun viser,dead snake around brake pedal ;D was it your mum and dad that had the white fluffy dog that made jumpers off it  ???my memorey recalls but I was only 8 years old at the time 8)

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:38:45 pm »
I have a Suzuki M109R Boulevarde, 1800cc v twin wieghs 320 Kilos, last week when leaving work lent over to swipe my security pass and tore a hammie, causing me to drop the bike.  Had to get security down to help me pick the bike up.  the CCTV coverage has been doing the rounds!!!lol

Barry
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:06:31 pm »
I have a Suzuki M109R Boulevarde, 1800cc v twin wieghs 320 Kilos, last week when leaving work lent over to swipe my security pass and tore a hammie, causing me to drop the bike.  Had to get security down to help me pick the bike up.  the CCTV coverage has been doing the rounds!!!lol

Barry
Sounds 'You Tube' worthy - care to share?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 07:23:46 pm »
Stupid things?

Getting chased and caught by a Cop for pushing my bike (YZ 125 C) up the road.
I was pushing the bike coz I dropped it in Dead Horse Creek - and it ran in reverse.
I told him that - and he looked at me like it didn't matter.

So what was more stupid:
Running back down Ewing Rd with my bike being pursued by Sgt Petersen (pushing it isn't illegal ::)) or;
Giving a false name (the fat pommy kid four doors up) but giving my correct home phone number?
Mum said the lying.

I blame the Yamaha.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 08:19:27 pm »
out riding with my mates on xl250 motosport
hit a hq ute head on going around a corner
ended up in back of ute
went to hospital not too bad
told parents i hit a log in the bush
guy came around later in week with
quote for damage to ute  doh :'(

bike ok just bent forks
took them off and straighted them in press
then when we went riding and i hit a big bump
they would stay down
i would have to get off and pull them back up while everyone waited ::) ::)
then off we would go again (got good at dodging big bumps) ;D ;D
traded it in at stackers on a 74 maico 250
he put that motor in maico frame
i think it went harder than maico :o ::) ::)

one more  :D had a new xl125 rode it for 2 months saw the new
cr elsinores liked em so painted engine black and tank and guards silver
with a 150 kit and bassani pipe went real good great mono machine
looked like shit :'( :'( ;D ;)
follow me to first turn

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 08:38:40 pm »
Nice one holeshot, those HQ holdens are like hiting a rino  :'(  its good to laugh at some one else instead of my silly younger days

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 10:15:29 pm »
Had a very similar event.......belting around the suburbs not far from home on my shiny, near new K6 754, BIG ole english sheepdog comes barrelling out of a house straight into the front wheel....shiny, near new bike and rider go down like a bag o' shit......dog runs away. Manage to get it back home and sitting in lounge room applying Band-Aids all over......bang, bang, bang on door....it's the dogs owner, threatening to take me to court for "running over his dawg"  ::)

Another good one....Around at a mates place...he's just got home with his first bike, a nice new blue DT175 Yammie. We're out the back beside his shed ogling it, he's sitting on it giving it a rev and looking like the cat that got the cream. Next thing for what ever reason, he must have stepped on the gear lever.....bike and rider lurch forward, straight through the fibro wall of the shed.  ;D Only thing that stopped him going through and out the other side was the handlebars (and his knuckles) whacking into the timber studs both sides of the hole, and his forehead bouncing off the top side of the hole.  :D :D