Author Topic: KSI replica  (Read 10393 times)

Oggy Doggy

Re: KSI replica
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 11:00:16 pm »
I have a sneaking suspicion that the KSI guys used Lyta brand alloy tanks ( called Hi Point in the USA) but they may have been a special order just for those bikes. The son of the KSI guy has frequented this forum in the past so he may have the clues. Unless you want the bike to look as close to a KSI as possible, I reckon the Sportster tank looks pretty good, not my taste perhaps but it doesn't look out of place.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:02:34 pm by Oggy Doggy »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 11:07:28 pm »
ive seen NOS Hi-Point tanks on ebay before too.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 11:52:33 pm »
Marc,the tanks are still available. Check out Faber Frames web site in the UK. The owner has gone into partnership with one of the original crew and are building the frames again under licence. First batch are due out in the next couple of weeks. Send them a huge pile of cash and they'll send you a real one  ;D Nice looking bike though. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 07:05:17 am »
First batch are due out in the next couple of weeks. Send them a huge pile of cash and they'll send you a real one  ;D Nice looking bike though. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

The Faber site has been announcing the KSI frames for about 3 years now. My frame cost $100 so I will stay with that.

The Lyta/Hi Point tank has the same problem as the frame kit, they seem to go for $$$$. However the XLR (follow on to XLS) before they had safety seat looks like a 78/79 CR250 tank and just picked up NOS one for $80.... its that good its a crime to repaint it. The Harley tank was just me messing with some old parts. So good call on the 78 tank Micahel.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 07:23:08 am »
So Faber look like they have had the KSI kit arriving any time now since 2001 ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 05:56:26 pm »
I must admit I smile every time I see their web site. However !!!!! They do have a first run of at least 3 frames that are built and are being finished off as I post this. All the original tooling was lost in a fire some years ago. All of this was hand made by us and I'm not surprised it's taken as long as it has. I wouldn't like the bill for making that lot again. Even things like formers for bending the tubes for the engine cradle were hand made so that we could get the swing arm mount as close to the gearbox sprocket as possible. Thats why I guess they were so expensive and hard to find now.
PS watch out for that top shock mount. Looks a little fragile to me  ;D ;D ;D   

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 07:29:15 pm »

PS watch out for that top shock mount. Looks a little fragile to me  ;D ;D ;D   

Yeah I was reading the earlier versions of the KSI frame had cracking problems at the mount. I will box in this area with an outer mount like the KSI frame. Give me another weekend or two and she should be much closer. I am lucky i have aircraft welder on my staff, I just tack it up and say "here weld this".

I am interested the story goes they made two frames for the later 4 valve motor.
formerly Marc.com

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 08:52:59 pm »
Marc could you post a pick with the 78 tank i reckon it will look the goods what colour is it anything with fox shox and simmons should look good not to keen on four strokes but if any its honda xl250 and yamaha tt and xt 500 my mate had a museum quality 82 honda xl250 it was a good looking bike for a four stroke got burnt in the fires though with a heap more bikes which is a shame i stacked it only slightly no damage at all because i let it fall on me dont let your little brother get in front of you on a minitrail in muddy conditions and dont ride in muddy conditions on trials front or rear or both tyre's  :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 09:37:27 pm »
There you go. Not the best quality. There was a kit made by a guy called Chris Ventris that allowed the later motor to be fitted. He also ran a company here making cabels and supplying us called venhill engineering. I believe only a couple of these were made and I don't know if they survived. It would be interesting to see the article about the KSI frames cracking as I have never known this to happen. Are you sure it wasn't one of those $100 copies that are flooding the market  ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 10:12:56 pm »
http://www.oldrice.com/Knobby_Shop_450_Cycle_Guide_June_79.jpg

I think the Mk2 involved a more triangular brace on the outside of the shock, but I mean I never seen one in the flesh.

Anyway I took some license with the original design, I figured the shocks being closed together would give them less leverage on the outer tubes of the frame and apply their force directly to the main frame back bone.

Included detachable rear sub frame, so airbox, carb etc, don't have to have enough space around them to get them on and off. Also lets me use CR seat (skinny bike is a fast bike)

I think the original KSI had hideous seat, looks like they half hitched one off a Cheney (I have Cheney JBR also) ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 02:50:06 am »
Marc, It's not that easy to see but there is a shaft that the shocks slide on to. This is one piece and it passes through the top tube and is brazed either side of it, We then braze a plate over that. Its again brazed to the seat rail and engine cradle down tube.
By having a bolt on sub frame you will loose some of the strength but as you say, bringing the shocks closer together will help. As for the seat, it is a bit on the large size. Then again most of these went to the states and you have to cater for the "fuller figure" over there  ;D 

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 02:52:55 am »
another angle

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 03:03:09 am »
And one JBR with Mr Banks himself. I used to love looking after his bikes when he rode for Cheney. He now runs a chain of car dealerships in the UK.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:50 pm »
Hey thanks for the help.

what i have done is braced the inner mounts back to the backbone of the frame and then triangulated the outer mounts on the outer frame rails.

I have Cheney frame that is stamped JBR75, any thoughts when it was produced and for whom.

formerly Marc.com

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 05:46:00 pm »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022