Author Topic: Kiwi fast men  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
Kiwi fast men
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:19:12 AM »
Can remeber early 80's going to Double Days Road , Woodford Glen, Christchurch to watch the North vers South races,
Anyone have info on any of these guys, Kerry Reeves,Bruce France,Warren Timpson,a guy with the surname Guthery rode 465's,Mosten Wadsworth, Mark Meadows, Tony Sheriffs (was sponsored by Doug Creswell Suzuki) and his brother raced Kawasakis in the north island dont know his first name,

Do any of them still race, for a young guy back then these guys were our heros,

Is Woodford Glen still used today, remember first time over the concrete drop off on a TS185er , landing was not good. :o
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

Re: Kiwi fast men
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:42:11 AM »
Ha, Mosten Wadsworth. Haven't heard that name for a while. He came over in 81 or 82 and rode for the local Honda shop. He had a quirky little speech impediment . Seemed like a good rider, but dont remember how he fared. I will have to ask my old boy if he remembers.

TM BILL

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »
Moston still competes and a nicer bloke you wouldn't meet , he is still very fast and is a regular at Veterans events where he has won multiple NZ titles :) He occasonally gets out on a vintage bike & the Vintage NvS has been held on his property.

Mark (Cocky) meadows Raced every event in the first 5 seasons of the Kiwi vintage MX series inspite of the fact that the closest event would have been 9 hrs each way from home inc an expensive ferry crosssing :)

Cocky is still the winningest rider in the series history even though he took a Sabatical this season. Many of you will Know cocky as he has travelled to the Western island and relieved you blokes of some silverware  ;D

Pete Guthrie also still competes and is also still quick  :) i beleive his young fella is a top Junior rider.

The south Island has historicly produced some great riders and they run some top VMX events , particularly in the Christchurch area and the top of the South Nelson & Blenheim areas :)

I can appreciate a hard landing on an ER 185  :( in the weekend I missed the start of a race on my TS 90MX so in an attempt to catch the pack i took an alternative root out the back (not somone elses wife  ::) a shortcut ) only to be met with a 5 foot drop onto a flat landing  :o it was like bungy jumping on a chain and i think im still 6 inches shorter. Moral here stick to the track and leave kids bikes to the kids  :-[

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:44:17 AM by TM BILL »

Offline d veda

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »
mosten is still kicking ass .he clean up at the vets last year as we were tearing up his farm in the north vs south vmx. his farm is a mx \ enduro park at the top of the south island.
lots off photos on the nelson motor cycle web site.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 09:41:07 AM »
Brad i raced against Moston when he was here in '81, he rode a mugen kitted CR250rb for had Honda Australia. I remember having a good battle with him at Mundubbera. Also raced against Mark Meadows a few seasons back when he came to Oz.

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 07:33:12 PM »
Good to here some are still at it and going strong

TM Bill are you from CHCH
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
No Taupo  :)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »
Ah, Taupo...always good to drop in there late on a Sunday night on the way back to Tauranga from a meeting, and call in to Ron Grant's pizza shop for a pizza with (WINK) "extra tomatoes..."   ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

MC

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 05:15:14 AM »
Hey Graham  - spoke to Peter Guthrie 3 days ago, he's got a successful paint and panel shop in Nelson, as Bill says his son is racing the world juniors shortly, Jared finished top 5 NZ but has getting over body damage after a crash.
Pete has a 1982 yz 250 which will be bought out once he gets a weekend that doesn't clash with his sons racing career.
Pete went over to Aus in about 81, did a stint with Gaythorne Yamaha in Queensland.

Moston broke his lag (compound) in 1982 at the second round Nelson champs and took a while to get over that, but has been a great benefactor of Marlborough MX, and motor cycle racing in Blenheim ever since, and is still involved.
If you go in have a look at the photo's on Nelson Classic MotoCross club, NvS 2008 you will see why Moston was so fast as this the terrain he has always practised on and it is better than it looks.

Cheers MC

NRD

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
Hey Graham
I used to race at Woodford Glen back then, never was vary good though, still not.
I grew up with Warren Timpson and we used to race together although as I said, he could ride.... I haven't spoken to him for a lot of years now but I think he is back in Christchurch after being up north for years. I think he won the NZ 250 championship in '82 on a Suzuki.
 I also remember a Tony Sherritt who rode Suzuki's and his brother Greg who I think worked at Tommy's Yamaha. Also new Bruce France and his brother Andrew "Crash" France. There was also Chris, Tony, Steven and Keiran Brady. Chris was the quickest of those guys. Rob Selby is still going around and Jimmy Duff is on the Gold Coast.
I spent a lot of time at Blair Carpenter Motorcycles as a teen and had a few RM's as well as a YZ125 D and a few XR's.
Cheers.

albrid-3

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 04:33:18 PM »
number one for me was Ivan Miller, he was very fast.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »
number one for me was Ivan Miller, he was very fast.

I used to flag marshal as a kid when Miller was the man, well when Peter Ploen was not on crutches.

Other Evo fast guy was Craig Coleman, Rod lived across the street from me when I was a kid./

formerly Marc.com