Author Topic: First time wheel building  (Read 1281 times)

RMJJ

First time wheel building
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:16:28 pm »
I thought I'd have a go at building a wheel. 1981 RM. I have a used but excelent rim, new genuine suzuki spokes and new genuine suzuki hub.
I have managed to lace it up and get it virtually straight and round. I put a small amount of oil on the nipples and threads before starting.
I have "stressed the wheel by pulling and squeezing on the spokes as I went along BUT the nipples seem to be at an angle to the spoke.
Where the spoke comes out the nipple you can see that its pulling to one side as on one side it has a gap and the other side its tight.
Also you  can see its bending/pulling at an angle. Everything is genuine suzuki so it cant be the holes are at the wrong angle or anything.

any clues  what I have done wrong.  I tried to make sure the spokes sit in the hub properly. The only thing thats not correct for the year
is the nipples, they are genuine suzuki but 1985 not 81. they look the same as 81.

cheers
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:18:00 pm by RMJJ »

mx250

Re: First time wheel building
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:28:09 pm »

But it sounds to me you have the wrong spokes going to the wrong hole.

lc4

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:41:22 pm »
Two things to check:
1 The rim may be on the wrong way.
2 Is it a front? A lot of rims run a offset to the hub
A bit of advise- Get a professional wheel guy to finish the job

RMJJ

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:47:07 pm »
Aah I never knew or thought the rim could be the wrong way round. I'll check.

I copied the spoke pattern from another wheel. never thought about the dirction of the rim though.

Yes its a front. I measured the offset with a dial guage and am respoking to that.
I was thinking of getting a pro to finish it, but I thought he'd tell me to sod off.

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:03:07 pm »
RMJJ

If the rim is off a later model (disc brake hub) the angle of the nipples in the rim will force the spokes to "bow" and look all out of kilter.

Either get the rim re-drilled to the right angle (a bit of mucking around) or live with it. Just keep checking the tension until they really bed in.....

PB
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:11:31 pm »
I too just recently did a Suzuki front wheel, conical hub style, 1980 vintage and yes, same thing happened. I then dismantled and turned the rim around the other direction, and presto.. problem solved.
We live and learn.

RMJJ

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:23 pm »
Yeah, I have just been a checked it against another couple of wheels I have.
The takasago and rim size stamping is on the other side to the way I have done it.
It's obvious now that I have the rim rotation wrong.

Thanks fellas.

never knew that and yes live and learn.