Author Topic: Kool Yamahas  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Kool Yamahas
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:29:07 am »
(I posted these in the Competition section also.)

Here are two interesting bikes seen at the Brad Lackey Nor Cal Classic for the Yamaha guys.

Gary Jones' personal vintage racer.

A ProFab Yamaha RD motocrosser

The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Kool Yamahas
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:44:09 am »
hmmmm late model YZ pipe butchered to fit looks pretty hideous, I have seen a couple of US YZs like that.

The pro tec twin just got a good write up in VMX magazine, gearing was a little off apparently.
formerly Marc.com

Oggy Doggy

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:44:38 am »
That little profab bike is in thr current VMX. I'm not too sure about that fat pipe on Gary Jones YZ though. The photos are great Red. Any more? It looks like Marty Tripes has dropped a few pounds as well. Lets hope it continues, I'm sure we'd all like to see the big fella back on a bike.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 12:02:02 pm »
HE should be nuetured for putting that pipe on.  l

ooks bloody hideous
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:19:02 pm »
you guys all missed the point it is his race bike.the rules in the usa are a little different.i can tell you if the pipe didnt work for gary jones it would not be on.its no 100% resto or garage queen.you can even use snail pipes if you like.a lot of czs have them
cheers

number 87

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 12:37:32 pm »
That RD powered thing is very cool bit of kit

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:16:48 pm »
YEH
but i bet the bike is very quick just like its rider.they just turn a blind eye??? thats how you can run snail pipes on czs pre 75

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:26:51 pm »
NAh i got the point alright jim, but do you ?
The point was and still is, it looks shitful,
i also dont care what you can do AHRMA or if Gary Jones shits factory turds, that thing is just an ugly SIN on that bike and he still needs to be Neutured for doing it, its abhorant  :(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:30:15 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 03:32:06 pm »
thats why its a fee world put what you like on your bike.each to your own.i have had tm enduro bikes and ktm they have similer pipes i like them.also i like getting the best out of a 2 stroke,if thats what it takes go for it i say.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 04:01:06 pm »
Wow guys!  I didn't mean to get a brawl started.  ;D

I actually agree with both of you.  I hate the few YZ's I've seen using those modern "Fatty-LowBoy" pipes (I would call myself a purist, not like Firko, but almost), but Gary Jones' dad Don invented the the 1974 YZ for Yamaha, so I think I'll cut him a little slack.  If you take away the pipe it may be the stockest looking YZ250A I've seen at the track!  I see bikes with crazy paint jobs or too blinged out and think I wouldn't have done it that way, but hey it makes them happy.

Gary doesn't race AHRMA and was only there for the exhibition race, although he did take it out for one moto I think.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:05:13 pm by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 04:08:44 pm »
OK  ok ill lower it to a sucks arse.   But if its all about getting more out of 2 strokes then heck jim why not put a set of decent shocks on it, fat bars and risers, a gripper seat, extended swing arm and a plastic tank ? i mean where do you stop, all of the above would turn that bike into a joke.

i have one word.  Posin liL'   ( well thats 2 words, but tell me im not crazy right)

Red, thanx for the photos, wasnt that twin banger the one up for sale a while back ?  didnt go for that much if i remember rightly
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Oggy Doggy

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 04:53:48 pm »
they just turn a blind eye??? thats how you can run snail pipes on czs pre 75
Jim. I was around in the pre 75 period racing CZs and other bikes and snail pipes were around then. A friend of mine has one on an Ossa Phantom that's been there since 1974 and another mate has an Aaen Engineering one made for a 1974 Maico. If you go through the pre 1975 American magazines you'll find snail pipes as early as '73 or even earlier.

Even though I agree that Gary Jones and other legends should be cut some slack, I reckon he'd be setting a better example and also creating a better legacy to his dad by running the YZ in reasonably stock trim. Lets face it, he doesn't need a fat boy pipe to win races.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 06:43:04 pm »
I have seen other USA bikes running similar pipes so a bit like other places, they are happy to have people turn up and not racing for sheep stations.

Look on the bright side, you can spent the rest of your life saying you could have won if that bloody guy on the YZ hadn't cheeted.  ;D One great thing about VMX is there is always a good excuse for riding badly.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 02:31:51 am »
Here is Jones' YZ from the other side.  Like I said, if you take away the pipe it looks like a "Time Warp" racer.  I'm sure the porting and compression are not stock, but everything else looks the way it did in 1974.  I've seen two other YZs, two Hodakas and one Phantom with those pipes and I still don't get it.  It seems like you could build a pipe with close to the same specs and performance that would look closer to stock or like a factory pipe from the correct era.  Maybe it's more psychological than anything by making the competition think you are running something really trick?

The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

mx250

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 05:16:40 am »
With the seams that is a later production pipe rather than a custom pipe - anyone recognise the pipe?

I agree, it really does spoil the appearance of the bike. I wonder if its worth the gain?