Author Topic: xl250r decomp cable  (Read 1199 times)

xii

xl250r decomp cable
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:46:08 pm »
Hi all! Ive gotta question about the decomp lever and cable for my 1984 xl250r. I just got my manual today and realised from the diagrams that i am missing the decomp cable that supposedly goes from the lever on the right case cover to the kickstart.

Could any fellow xl250ers care to tell me or take pictures of how the cable is attached to the kickstarter? The manual shows it following the frame downwards and behind the kickstarter arm so I would assume it is attached to it somehow.

Thanks in advance!!

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: xl250r decomp cable
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:25:13 pm »
The decomp cable is accuated by the movement of the kick starter via a cam on the kick start shaft inside the clutch cover. There should be a lever just behind/ above the kick start shaft with a cable slot in it. When the kick start lever is rotated, you should see this lever also move. If it does not move, the cam follower may be broken on the inside of the clutch cover. I'm not sure how these cam followers get broken, but when I was at the wreckers looking for parts, I found a few clutch covers, some with broken  cam followers.
I've got an '81 XL250, it also did not have a decomp cable fitted when I got the bike a year ago, it was still easy enough to start though, but I wouldn't like to be trying to kick over a 500 without a decomp too many times.

Go to http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl250r-84-us_model841/partslist/E++06.html for a diagramatic.

I've since rebuilt my motor and the decomp works now.
Regards
pmc57

xii

Re: xl250r decomp cable
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:43 am »
Thanks for your help pmc57! I think I found it!

I figured that I wont be needing the decomp on the 250 as its easy enough and surely that was the reason why it was removed in the first place. But I think I will get the cable anyway in case I ever need it.