Author Topic: New CZ Parts  (Read 11075 times)

Ji Gantor

New CZ Parts
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:24:50 pm »
Two weeks ago I received a couple of boxes of parts from the states for my CZ restore.
Just in case some members have not seen them before or want to know what is the difference or problems with them I will post some images and facts to help my fellow members.

The first item is the chain tensioner.
The CZ400 1973 came out with only a chain guide so this new chain tensioner should help with keeping the chain on the sprockets and also stop the chain from flinging around and hitting the shock spring.
The stock chain guide weighed 385g while the new chain tensioner weighs 500g.

Ji

Ji Gantor

Re: New CZ Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 01:34:14 pm »
The second item is the air box.
The original CZ air box is made from steel and weighs in at 935g.
The new one is made from plastic and only weighs 432g.
The stock air filter fixing bolt is welded to the box in a position so the filter leans rearward.
The new plastic one just has a hole in the bottom of it and a rubber washer to seal the hole.
I will mill up some nylon so the bolt will be at the right angle and should be a better seal.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:52:52 pm »
The original carb on the CZ was a Jikov 34mm.
I selected a Mikuni with all the bells and whistles.
This kit virtually does come with everything including jetting.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:57:32 pm »
The steering head bearings are the old type that have loose balls and when you separate the steering the balls go every where. There is nothing wrong with this system but there is an alternative.
Tapered needle roller bearings that are the same dimensions as the stock ones.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:59:35 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:16:03 pm »
Terry Cables make these beautiful braided stainless steel cables to suite Magura levers, Gasser throttle and Mikuni carb.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:01:53 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:20:58 pm »
The original air filter was a paper type weighing 180g.
Uni Filters makes a replacement that is a dual foam type with a steel cage. It weighs 140g.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 02:37:30 pm »
The original guards were made of alloy and fiberglass and were a little fragile from the magazine tests I have read. I do not have an original front guard because my was replaced with an after market plastic one but with that said the old alloy, fibreglass and plastic guards weighed 1356g.
The new ones are all gloss plastic and only weigh 1186g.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:54:10 pm »
I like to spice up my engine with stainless steel allan key screws. These always look great.
This is the complete engine set including washers (95 piece I think, I am not counting them). They weigh 436g. I have not yet stripped out the existing bolts so I don't know what they weigh.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:07:20 pm »
Some companies in the States still make the metal airfilter cap.
Very nice job.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 03:10:41 pm »
I am going to replace the original CZ (Jikov I think) throttle with a Swedish made Gasser.
There are cheap Asian copies of this throttle but I have paid the extra to get the real deal. This should look nice combined with the braided stainless steel cables.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:22:38 pm »
I like colour, so I always try and colour match the grips with the bike.
These are an after market pair that I have used before in the past.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 03:32:37 pm »
The original 73 fuel tank was made of steel.
I imported a second hand alloy 1974 tank because I love the look of polished alloy tanks on old bikes. This tank will have to be polished and have the stickers positioned. I would also like to place the knee pads on (not that I have had any luck finding the original rubber knee pads with the word CROSS on them) as this would look smick .

The alloy tank weighs 1888g,
The replacement plastic tank weighs 1542g and
I cannot tell you what the original steel one weighs because I don't have one.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 03:44:54 pm »
I would love to show an image of a new pair of inner hard chrome fork tubes but I can not.
Past member Eno (great guy and CZ owner in NZ) posted a topic about how good the parallel flange fork tubes are and how they allow you to run PD valves and larger diameter springs.
After reading his post I then spent 3 weeks trying to track down a set.
Unfortunately my research found that they don't make them like that any more because as the manufacturer stated "90% of them came back bent". So they stiffened them up by inserting a stiffener inside the hard chrome tubes and now they have the same internal diameter as the stock CZ ones. I see no advantage in them any more unless you can not find a pair of CZ ones.

Ji

mx250

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 04:00:22 pm »
So Ji, how much weight have you saved :) And how much did it cost you :(.

Looking good Ji, you should end up with a shiny new bike in quick order.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 04:41:14 pm »
Hi mx250,
This topic was started to show new parts that some members may be thinking of but have not seen yet and to give some random facts about what I have found so far. The weights have been supplied for those that are compulsive and those that may find it interesting. I will be replacing all these original parts weather or not there is a weight saving. From my research on CNCed New trick triple clamps and swingarms are that they weigh more than the original parts but that they look good and stiffen the chassis.

I feel it will look great by the time I am done.

As to how much it all cost, that is a moving target with the way the postage is and the exchange rate.
Let us say a lot.

Ji