Author Topic: DRAIN FUEL FROM 'BINGS"  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
DRAIN FUEL FROM 'BINGS"
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »
JUST A FEW THOUGHTS AFTER SEEING THAT PAUL IS LOOKING FOR A 36mm BING.
A conclusion based on experience.

Before turning your engine off, turn your fuel cocks off and run the carby out! Over the years I have seen Bing carbies with black floats, white floats and pink floats?????(your bike will start easier next time with a fresh dose of fuel in the bowl rather than a dose that has vapoured off it's octance rating! whilst it was standing). 

Roughly thirty years ago I was scratching my head as to why my mixture(plug colours kept changing, becoming richer!!! It eventually came down to the fact that the fuel level in the bowl was some how steadily increasing from where I had set it months earlier. In young days I rode nearly every day, only killing the engine when I got home from the scrub, (instead of running it out) as not to annoy the neigbours.

And then it dawned the reason, "BING"O,,,,, old floats and white ones in particular eventually absorb fuel if they are left soaking in it. Therefore becoming heavier and as a result the fuel level in the bowl inreases.

proof in experiment. Weigh Your well dried out floats that haven't seen fuel for a while(gunpowder scales are perfect), then put them in a sealed glass of fuel for a month, get it out, dry the surface of and re-weigh it. There is the proof.

For Bings Black floats seem to be less prone to this phenomenam. I think its possible there may have been no such thing as pink Bing floats. Only black ones and white ones that turned pink because they absorbed the old red super grade fuel! The pink being the red "DYE" that was used as a marker to identify the old super grade(leaded) fuel.

Incidently I have worked for a couple of oil companies. It was considered that the old leaded fuel was alot more stable in retaining it's octane rating(RON or researh octane number) for up to six weeks in fact. Where as the newer unleaded fuels are considered to start loosing their octane value in as little as two weeks.

cheers Mick.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:33:41 PM by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

mx250

Re: DRAIN FUEL FROM 'BINGS"
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »

Incidentally I have worked for a couple of oil companies. It was considered that the old leaded fuel was alot more stable in retaining it's octane rating(RON or researh octane number) for up to six weeks in fact. Where as the newer unleaded fuels are considered to start loosing their octane value in as little as two weeks.

Thanks for your observation/advice. I don't think I'll waste time on the experiment I'll take your word 8), it makes sense ;).

They tell me a very good and careful tuner, not muggins me :P, starts with fresh fuel as a starting point and a constant, and they use a hydrometer to test for density of the fuel as one of their checks before mucking with any other settings.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »
mick what about a maico clucthes lol or is that a secret ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:05:28 PM by paul »

Rosco400

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:23:16 PM »
mick what about a maico clucthes lol or is that a secret ;)
Well You've got Me laughing again. I don't think it's much of a secret anymore Paul! I have showed a few people. Any body that knew Me in 1973 knew My Maico had a two finger clutch, without slip or drag.

The way I'm yapping, theres gunna be nothing left to put in Me BOOK soon Mate!

I suppose I may as well post it in "TECH TALK" some time soon. I may as well. I am now told that one bloke I showed, now tells everybody "how he figured it out". Talking about laughs thats a good one!!!

Better come over to my place Mick Ive only got  2 fingers that now work and i cant pull in any of me maico clutches ::) serious tho, but right now im off to Glenbawn for a drink

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »
mick i thought you were on the wagon, not the beer wagon

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:02:52 PM »