Author Topic: Tool Of The Week  (Read 5976 times)

Ji Gantor

Tool Of The Week
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:14:51 pm »
If you are only going to buy one tool this year then I suggest a collet slide hammer bearing puller.
These great little tools remove wheel bearings, some swingarm bearings and steering head bearings.
They are not to dear but like most good tools will be a handy addition to your tool box and make replacing wheel bearings every year something to look forward to.

Ji

mainline

Re: Tool Of The Week
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:24:40 pm »
I've got the exact same kit. Worth it's weight in gold.

I wish the derro's who had my parts bike before me had one of these sets. Every bearing, every collar, every bush had been chiselled out with a screwdriver or whatever was at hand. As a result pretty much every adjacent surface ie swingarm pivot area, was completely stuffed. Hence a restorable bike became a parts bike.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:38:15 pm »
phill irving used to call 'derros' "john clot the previous owner."
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Ji Gantor

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:52:28 pm »
Yes I agree,
That tool is worth its weight in gold.
All the bikes I have purchased so far have had similar maintenance regimes as your parts bike mainline.

Ji

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:51:33 pm »
And not to mention Engine bearings . Bit the bullet last year and bought same item as shown.
Next on the wish list is a LATHE  ;)

Ji Gantor

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 07:50:37 pm »
Yep a lathe is a pretty handy thing.
It is more handy than a mill as a lathe can be set up as a mill if required.
(I am not saying that a mill is no good I am just saying if you only got room for one or the other I would pick a lathe).

Ji

All Things 414

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:00:43 pm »
These things keep poping up on eBay and look like the ducks nuts (can we still say that?). They seem to go for about $800.00 at auction each time. I'll get me one soon (Don't know one end of it from the other so it'll probably end up as a nice bike stand.... :-\).http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260376155323
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:02:39 pm by 390 Ross »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 08:43:57 pm »
the same manufacturer thats makes those bearing puller kits (its all made in Taiwan) makes many other pretty good bike tools aswell. i have their compression tester kit and the right angle geared screw driver which really comes in handy when you need to get into tight spots and remove float bowls on 4 cylinder engines when you dont want to take the whole bank off. MCS is the importer so just drop into your local bike shop and ask to have a look at the tools section in their MCS book. ;)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 08:46:54 pm »
20mm spindle bore might be too small plus motor might be on the lite side of things .

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 09:54:29 pm »
I've got a CQ6125 - ie a 22"x10" and it's perfect for my little garage. $1700 dumped in my driveway.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 10:26:41 pm »
Hey my surname is derrick.....is that a misspelt derro? :o
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 10:27:56 pm »
When we start out buying tools like a lathe we think to our selves all I need to do is to be able to pay for it. Then when you get your shiny new lathe you discover that the buying is not over. I need cutting tools, TC bits, drill heads, centre drill bits, a knurling tool, a parting tool, live centres, steadies............
The tooling is nearly worth the same money as the lathe.
But I guess we just need that lathe and every thing will be fine.

Ji
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:30:15 pm by Ji Gantor »

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Calling Mainline
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »
What is this mysterious tool :-\.  The picture is long gone.  Want to post up a picture of yours ??
Having a few "issues"  ::) with the blind bearings in the 125 gearbox.  Before you come back with some smart arse reply they are the ones you can't get behind to knock 'em out  ;)
Others also welcome to chime in  ;D ;D
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

oldfart

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 05:44:35 pm »
Are you referring to a bearing puller like this.