Author Topic: Yamaha wanted  (Read 4419 times)

albrid-3

Yamaha wanted
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:13:49 pm »
I would like to buy a Yamaha YDS2 250 TWIN.
Please email me with any info.
Thank you
David

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:20:02 pm »
shit dav you gunna hate this
a bloke offered me one for $300 bucks complete
didnt get it a friend got it and is restoring it
took it home and had it going in an hour :o
if i hear of any more will keep you in mind ;D
follow me to first turn

albrid-3

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:27:01 pm »
Thanks Holeshot, l really needed that bit of info, just about to go to bed, now l wont sleep. please let me know about the next one , if your friend desides to sell be very gratefull if you call me. phone 0404 188 410.
cheers :)
Dav

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:02:07 am »
e bay item 2200371480255 in classic,collectables,DS6 yamaha,good hunting  ;D
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

mx250

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 09:28:07 am »
Is this what you're thinking of Dave ;D

I'm restoring my first bike a YDS5. It amazes me the interest in and number of these old YDS's. I know of several the best being Steve Ashkenazi's.

You might like to look through this earlier OzVMX thread about the Liberty Yamaha Dave. There might be a few leads in it. The Neil I quote is Neil Collins from Adelaide, he is something of an expert on the early YDS's and has several of the earliest racing TD1's.  http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=3765.0 

mx250

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 09:30:28 am »
shit dav you gunna hate this
a bloke offered me one for $300 bucks complete
didnt get it a friend got it and is restoring it
took it home and had it going in an hour :o
if i hear of any more will keep you in mind ;D

Holeshot, was that bike a lime green. I almost bought one from Carl Aschew many moons ago. It would be nice ton think that it's still out there surviving :).

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:20:47 pm »
MX whos is that one on the top left ?  love it.  what a cool looking set up.

Seen a few in Flat track trim in the US, but never thought they were any more than honda dreams down here.

Will keep my eye on it David, i have seen a few at the wreckers of late, do you want just the motor or the whole thing ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:25:37 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mx250

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 12:34:12 pm »
MX whos is that one on the top left ?  love it.  what a cool looking set up.

Sorry Freaky, wouldn't have a clue; pinched it off the net from somewhere ::).

Ditto for this one. I believe it is a photo of the first Yamaha factory racer, based on the YDS1 or YD1. The event was the Catalina GP in Cal USA probably in about 1959.

I the back of my mind there is the germ of an idea that I might make a replica from the bits of have left over ::) :P. (Project rich, time and cash poor ::) ;) :D).

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 01:19:21 pm »
im pretty sure these are the models that are based on the Adlers. Yamaha bought out some/all of the Adlers tooling/parts etc and based some of the early twin Yamahas on the Adlers. Many parts are common or very similar and looking at some of the photos i see here, many parts similar or the same to some of the Adlers i have restored. i Was given a heap of early  NOS yamaha cables from twin yamahas and many were the same as the Adler cables and went straight on eg the front brake cable. The header pipes on the brown one look like they are directly off the Adler Sports model.

its a bit like the French Peugeo bikes and the TS-ER modles. im not sure what the arrangment was back then or if they just decided to copy the ER's but the Peugeos look like copies of the TS-ER's from the early 80's but with a few differences.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:24:39 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

mx250

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 01:58:38 pm »
im pretty sure these are the models that are based on the Adlers. Yamaha bought out some/all of the Adlers tooling/parts etc and based some of the early twin Yamahas on the Adlers. Many parts are common or very similar and looking at some of the photos i see here, many parts similar or the same to some of the Adlers i have restored. i Was given a heap of early  NOS yamaha cables from twin yamahas and many were the same as the Adler cables and went straight on eg the front brake cable. The header pipes on the brown one look like they are directly off the Adler Sports model.

Which Adler are you referring to? These are the only Adler 250 twin motor I know and I can't see similarities in architecture, layout or appearance.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 05:29:34 pm »
yeah thats the motor, the MB 250 from about 56 and the last ones left germany in about 58. Now when i think of it the yamaha im thinking of is quite a bit earlier than 67. Im sure ive seen one where they basically used the Adler engine but the sidecovers were a bit different and had Yamaha logos, but the basic engine was an Adler engine but with a few differences.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

albrid-3

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 05:58:19 pm »
mx 250, gee, you have read my mind, or l have spoken to you about it before, l owned a yds2 about 18 months ago, and sold it, kicking myself, l would like to build a Ascot Scrambler.

albrid-3

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »
Freakshow, Kerry, please do, any info, l just love the Ascot Scrambler. You should have my number.

mx250

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 06:03:11 pm »
yeah thats the motor, the MB 250 from about 56 and the last ones left germany in about 58. Now when i think of it the yamaha im thinking of is quite a bit earlier than 67. Im sure ive seen one where they basically used the Adler engine but the sidecovers were a bit different and had Yamaha logos, but the basic engine was an Adler engine but with a few differences.
These two????/

I think that's a bit like saying a R1 is a GSXR1000 copy.

In layout they shared left hand kick and crank mounted clutch and an enclosed single carby. However the Yammy and Adler are very different inside. I'll bet that adler crank won't spin to 10,000rpm :o ::). And no seal holders in a Yammy.

albrid-3

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 06:03:32 pm »
I would like to build up one for pre 65 scrambling, Ascot Scrambler, if you google Ascot scrambler you see what l mean.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:05:17 pm by albrid-3 »